Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

The Departed is garbage and would have fit in better at the Razzies. Any other BP nominee would have deserved it more, not to mention films like Pan's Labyrinth and Children of Men that weren't even nominated. 

But it's a better remake that the pile of crap that is Infernal Affairs which was already overrated.

Edited by dashrendar44

I haven't watched that yet for ... obvious reasons. Does it have a score that is SO good that it's great? 

I think the score is absolutely great. Listened to it numerous times. Doesn't make the rest of the movie any less horrible.

I can think of other, less extreme examples when I thought a film's score was much, much better than the movie itself - like Tron Legacy, The Book of Eli, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Dead Man's Chest, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, 1492: Conquest of Paradise (one of my top 10, if not top 5 favorite film scores, yet the movie is a misfire in nearly all other ways). So yeah I definitely disagree that it's a great score that makes a movie great.

• Like 1

I think the score is absolutely great. Listened to it numerous times. Doesn't make the rest of the movie any less horrible.

I can think of other, less extreme examples when I thought a film's score was much, much better than the movie itself - like Tron Legacy, The Book of Eli, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Dead Man's Chest, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, 1492: Conquest of Paradise (one of my top 10, if not top 5 favorite film scores, yet the movie is a misfire in nearly all other ways). So yeah I definitely disagree that it's a great score that makes a movie great.

The scores I consider great are: Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest and At The End Of The World... Those are great in my eyes, despite what people say. I liked the movies a lot. The Last Samurai/Man of Steel (I liked the score/movie a lot), Inception, A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator, V for Vendetta, How To Train Your Dragon... I haven't watched a movie with great score but with stupid directing/acting, honestly.

• Like 2

Shutter Island is garbage

The Departed is garbage and would have fit in better at the Razzies. Any other BP nominee would have deserved it more, not to mention films like Pan's Labyrinth and Children of Men that weren't even nominated.

I find myself disliking a lot of movies from Scorcese too. I guess I just don't like his directing style since I feel I would like his movies otherwise.