44 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

* out of *****

Most overrated comic book film ever made!

The introduction of Batman was absolutely ludicrous. 

Instead of doing something proactive like patrolling the streets at night, Bruce just sits around like some parody of Rodin's "Thinker"; meanwhile, TWO MOD EDITING BAT SIGNALS (so much for keeping his identity a secret) reflect a light in his room just so he could stand up in one of the most contrived, poorly staged visuals devoid of any logic or thought.

There isn't a single scene in any of Nolan's films anywhere NEAR this ridiculous.

There are so many problems with this film on a technical and fundamental basis that it's asinine to see how anyone thinks this is a worthwhile film.

Edited by Squaremaster316
  • Like 1

Sorry, but I really didn't like this Batman. First....really? The main villian is like, a penguin lover? Or is half Penguin? Am I getting this right? That was dumb for me, villian was a joke. Catwoman was decent, probably the only bright spot in the film. The story was boring/terrible for me. I hated this batman, easily the worst one. D overall, 4/10

Edited by k1stpierre
  • Like 1

The Penguin is a mess, Burton can't really decide if he wants to be campy or serious, the score is epic, the production design is great, the fight scenes are awkward, Pfeiffer screws scenery, Walken is mostly wasted as Max Shrek (nice name, though!), did I mention the Penguin is a mess?But I still liked it.

• Like 1

The Penguin is a mess, Burton can't really decide if he wants to be campy or serious 

Why can't a movie be both? Why does a director got to do a super serious dark whatever movie that can't be at the same time fun and burst into over-the-top outrageous?

I think there is a consistent melancholic tone (the setting, the art direction, "Freaks" thematics) that is juggling constantly between serious and outright delirious through the prism of duality, animalistic metaphors and sexual double entendres that would make Freud squirt (So the movie being dualistic/schizophrenic is totally an artistic choice dictated by the very subject Burton and Waters script are exploring), it's Burton making the material his own, it's not a mess. That's what makes this blockbuster an interesting case.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

It's my most favorite Batman movie till now. Batman Returns and The Dark Knight are 2 best Batman movies. Both got an A from me; but I found this one to be more enjoyable and more rewatchable (though I have watched TDK plenty of times too)

Michelle Pfeiffer is just a sight to watch as Catwoman  :wub: And I really like how the romance is handled in this movie (romance is one aspect in Nolan's Bat movies that never clicks with me; they're all so messy and forced)

Funny how opinions are so divided on Batman Returns. Oh well, people have different tastes  :)

My ranking of the old Bat movies:

Batman 89: A-

Batman Returns: A

Batman Forever: C

Batman and Robin: F or A+ (it's all depend on what angles you're perceiving the movie at  :ph34r:)

• Like 2

Why can't a movie be both? Why does a director got to do a super serious dark whatever movie that can't be at the same time fun and burst into over-the-top outrageous?

Because, for example, the Catwoman origin is straight unadulterated camp fantasy and plays as completely illogical with the dark, brooding, but otherwise "realistic" world. Varying tone is fine, but you need some core cohesion.

• Like 1

Keaton's portrayal of BATMAN was spot on 100% right down to the voice and he didn't have to overdo the voice like Bale did to get the point across...

Including stiff, clunky, poorly choreographed fight scenes and a voice that virtually identical to his daytime speaking voice. 

Keaton sucked as Batman and was barely passable as Bruce Wayne.  Bale excelled in both.

I don't care if the movie was supposed to be lighter in tone.  No excuse can justify a blatant lapse in stupidity like that.  At least in the first film he made a half-hearted attempt at masking his identity.  Here, it just seems that he can get away with it because the entire city populace are barely functioning morons.

I take spooky BR over tedious and boring lifeless TDKR which is as entertaining as watching two snails climbing a wall any day.

I'll take layered, dimensional TDKR with fleshed out characters (including Gotham itself, something Burton, and every other CBM director for that matter, were never able to accomplish), prodigious acting, and iconic, heart pounding, adrenaline pumping action scenes over BR's fake looking Gotham with ridiculous, flaccid villains and asinine plot developments and twists.