44 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Never was a big fan of Returns but can appreciate it, like any Tim Burton movie, for the production and costume designs. Michelle Pfeiffer is great as Catwoman but as much as I appreciate Danny DeVito's passion for The Penguin (in the interviews included in the Special Edition DVDs, he was animate about it and seemed to really enjoy playing the character), but it was an abomination compared with his comic book counterpart. I also really didn't care for Batman, you know, outright murdering people (turning the Batmobile around and torching one henchman, strapping on a bomb to the fat henchman later); and yes, I realize he didn't exactly give Ras Al Ghul a helping hand in Batman Begins, but something about that seemed different.

***/*****, (C+, 6.1/10, 2.5/4)

Just like the first one, I know it has its issues but Burton was top of his style game and I've always loved both Pfeiffer and DeVito's performances. It's also the most overtly sexual film Burton has made and that alone makes it fascinating.

• Like 2

I really enjoy Batman Returns - it has a really really odd tone of creepy dark stuff like the penguin biting some guys nose, mixed with penguins with rocket launchers strapped to their backs.....I mean WTF was Burton smoking when he came up with this idea? Despite its inconsistent tone, the movie certainly engages me and its certainly a movie that I don't mind re-watching when it comes on TV. B+

• Like 1

I'm not sure what to think of this film. It's not a Batman film by any stretch of the imagination. It's a film that feels almost entirely devoted to its two villains (to mixed results). I found Penguin to be very ridiculous. Danny's performance is enjoyable for the character, but he was too far-fetched. The missiles on the penguins? REALLY, Burton? That was just stupid. I can suspend my belief, but not to that extent.

Michelle Pfeiffer, however, was absolutely brilliant as Catwoman. She owned the role. Probably the third or second best superhero film performance of all time, although I wish her transformation to Catwoman was less bizarre (dumb?). Favorite scene in the entire film by far was when Penguin kept shooting at Catwoman (Pfeiffer was absolute gold here). The film deserves the criticisms it's received over the years, but I find Pfeiffer to be beyond it.

While I loved Catwoman/Pfeiffer in the film, it still didn't feel like a Batman film at all and the Penguin was a really dumb villain. The story is just too tired whenever it's not on Catwoman/Selina.

C+

• Like 1

This movie really gets to me, I'm always drained and depressed by the time it's over. I do hate some aspects of it, mainly that horrible Penguin controlling the Batmobile sequence, but overall I think it's a wonderfully twisted, inventive and unique film with damaged characters.

The bruce/selina storyline/subplot was brilliant, and it was done to perfection. It's so good in my eyes that while Nolan may put up a worthy effort I still on expect Batman and Catwoman's charisma to approach this film (if I'm wrong that's fine, i'd welcome it) Michelle owned the role and was great. Unfortunately it's a sad movie imo; it makes you feel kind of hopeless because Keaton's Bruce was practically begging for an excuse to escape from life as Batman and Selina was the purfect way out. I think Keaton and Pfifer's screen time was vastly underrated in this film.

Batman MarathonBatman Returns - 8.5 I go watch a movie expecting to be good, regardless of what was promised.Yes, A Batman movie that isn't about (mainly) Batman, despite this, BR is one of the best.I was very surprised because I hated the first movie.Ranking the Batman Movies1. The Dark Knight Rises 10.0 2. Batman Begins 10.0 3. The Dark Knight 9.0 4. Batman Returns 8.5 5. Batman 4.0

Edited by Goffe Recall

I think it's fantastic, the best batman movie other than TDK and TDKR. the interaction between the 4 main characters (or 6 if you count selina and bruce as themselves) is brilliant, and I love the fact that the penguin is a villain that's liked by the people of gotham. unique movie.

• Like 1

What an awful film. Cheesy through and through. The Penguin was the worst villain I've seen put on screen. Max Shrek was a redundant accessory. Catwoman's origin had my eyes at the back of my skull. Keaton barely has any screentime in the first 40 minutes. "Twisted" "Unique" "Dark" "Inventive" um, what? Do those count as positives? Michelle was overacting a la Charlie in SWTH. But then people praised that performance too. Seems like fanboys who need to say something good about any otherwise cringeworthy trainwreck.

• Like 2