Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

I wish Disney had pushed Frozen as hard as they are now doing for BH6 in the marketing in the few weeks before their movie releases. All of BH6's commercials on television are way better than Frozen ever got.

Imagine how much better Frozen's opening weekend would have been if they made that movie more appealing in all the TV spots instead of constantly pushing Olaf in the marketing. <_<

Indeed :)

But BH6 needs it more than Frozen, its audience is more boy-centric and so it is more limited.

Indeed :)

But BH6 needs it more than Frozen, its audience is more boy-centric and so it is more limited.

I also think Disney realized with Frozen that WDAS has more pull than a cap of 200m DOM / 400-500m WW for their movies, so they want to push it harder to further the brand beyond princess musicals.

Disney is always trying to market to boys, even to the point of disguising their ostensibly more girl-centric animated features. It's as though they feel that they have girls in their back pocket and have to go after boys more, and to be fair this may well be what their data suggests.

I don't know if the audience is more limited, though, because Pixar has been doing just fine with their typically more boy-centric movies. In fact, some have suggested that one of the underlying reasons for acquiring Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm was to not only capture the boy market but to generally help reverse the modern perception, whether true or not, that Disney is a more girl-centric than boy-centric brand.

If there is any truth to the latter, then it's probably due to the prominence of the Disney princesses in pop culture--there aren't that many compared to the number of animated features that Disney has released, but they have been what has captured the public's imagination the most over the decades, both in positive and sometimes negative ways (it's the public's choice, as Walt Disney himself never ordered up many princess animated features).

The only problem with the marketing I could find is that it might be too kid-centric to some.

It does appear to be kid-centric, but then again so has most of Disney's domestic marketing been of late. For Frozen they didn't really go after adults in the domestic market until the second full trailer ("For the First Time In Forever" Elsa trailer), and if I remember correctly that was only released online on YouTube. They did more later on, after the movie had been released in theaters and was proving to be a bigger hit than they had anticipated (still mostly online, but by then it had gone viral online anyway).

I agree with you, though, and think that if there is a way for them to market Big Hero 6 to adults more than they are now without giving too much away, then they should do that while there is still time.

Also MERCHANDISE! Disney will be making money on the BH6 merchandise for a long time. It goes for any of their new animated movies. :D

Probably, but this depends on the public. Sometimes even a successful box office run doesn't result in a merchandising bonanza, even for Disney, who learned this the hard way with Wreck-It Ralph (I think that Big Hero 6 has more potential, though, provided that the public and children in particular like the movie). The latter was probably why less merchandise was designed and fewer units were ordered from manufacturers for Frozen than for previous Disney animated features, which of course then promptly blew up in their faces.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

If Big Hero 6 does not do well I need to re-evaluate how good I am with judging marketing. The only problem with the marketing I could find is that it might be too kid-centric to some.

The most recent trailer had me nearly in tears, I don't think it's too kid-centeric