Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Why do we hve so many reviews for Interstellar and just a few ones for BH6?

It could be that critics realize that more people in the Interstellar camp would be hanging on this sort of thing, desperately, while it doesn't matter as much with Disney animated features. It could also be that Disney has held fewer advance screenings for critics thus far, if that's how those things are normally handled.

• Like 3

New review is up online but not on RT.

Newsarama gives 10/10: 

Big Hero 6 is a movie that knows its audience, knows the zeitgeist of the modern sci-fi/comics scene, and brings this wisdom to bear in the form of an airtight script, breathtaking animation, and impossible charm. If Big Hero 6 does half as well as it deserves, it will be a strong proof of concept for Disney's Marvel animation model.

http://www.newsarama.com/22601-big-hero-6-review-10-10-heir-to-both-the-incredibles-and-avengers.html

Edited by Sal
  • Like 4

Only 7 days until the BH6's release, and it seems to be stuck at 12 reviews at RT.

I'm kind of dreading the first rotten/negative review, but I want it to come out already so I can stop worrying about it. :P

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

I know there's been some worry about the Japanese reception of BH6, but this is encouraging:

Here's a Japanese review of BH6: http://otakumode.com/news/544e3438fe25d42d762cefd6/Movie-Review-We-Attend-the-World%E2%80%99s-First-Screening-of-Big-Hero-6-!-Disney%E2%80%99s-Newest-Work-is-a-Story-About-the-%E2%80%9CBirth-of-a-Hero%E2%80%9D

It seems like this may be well received in Japan, which would be great for its overseas box office.

Here's a snippet:

"I recognized some parts of the city and found myself thinking “Is that Shinbashi?” and “Is that Shinjuku?”, and in the city there are boards written in Japanese, telephone polls and vending machines, and cars and buses driving by that appeared to have a “made in Japan” vibe. Many times, signs will be rewritten in Japanese for the Japanese dubbed version of animated films, but the version I saw was the subtitled version. Basically, from here on out people all over the world will see Disney’s love of Japan. Jealous?

Of course, the Japanese feel doesn’t end with the cityscape of San Fransokyo. This may touch on a few stereotypes, but, talking about Baymax’s kindness (and possibly form?), the director has commented on the diligence of the main character in working hard to achieve his goals and his unique idea that could also be called a waste of talent. In any case, while enjoying the film, I was awash in droves of love letters to all of us from Disney, messages that almost didn’t make it in time. It is a privilege that Japanese people are able to experience the film on this deeper level!"

And, speaking of Baymax:

"Disney has created many hugely popular characters over the years, but this is the birth of a new character (hero) whose name has been marvelously engraved on Disney’s history."

The reviewer sums it all up pretty well at the beginning:

" This film as well is a masterpiece that dispelled all doubts. Disney is in its element here, and because it differs from the so-called “Disney Princess” formula there is no need for comparison. Personally, though, it’s become a film I love even more than Frozen."

If their reaction is any indication, this movie should do wonderfully in the Japanese market!  I'm crossing my fingers!
  • Like 6