Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

From what I've heard (friend saw it but not me), the only characters to get any development were Hiro and Baymax, and the main reason Baymax was caring was because of his programming, rather than developing his own personality beyond his intended purpose like WALL-E.

Well, for one thing, Baymax did develop beyond his intended purpose, demonstrating that he is a true learning system.  It's subtle but undeniable, and it happened during the movie as opposed to WALL-E who had developed his personally over hundreds of years before the movie's timeline had even started.  The character that developed in that movie was Eve, but it just sort of happened and she started out as kind of a rebel already as we saw as soon as her transport took off, while with Baymax we got a more palpable sense that he was learning and adapting, which to me makes his development feel more believable and something I can invest in.  While it's true that his design goal of helping people never changed (and in this story we wouldn't want it to), Baymax evolved from being a robot nurse to essentially being Hiro's brother (akin to the T-800's development in Terminator 2).  This reinforces the themes of living on through what you did and created, and the impact you had on others.  Baymax's development had to be kept subtle so as to support rather than take attention away from the main themes, but it is also necessary and present.  WALL-E is a different movie with different themes.

• Like 1

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yay! I still feel like they'd make more money by not dropping Marvel name from the movie. Anyway, fantastic performance. Not Frozen, but still great. This pretty much locks the possibility of a sequel.

• Like 1

BH6 needs another 40M$ for break Top Ten in 2014 worldwide chart. If it will not be able to do this, for the first time since 1997, no animated movies will be among the top 10 biggest wordwide grosses, and this could happen after a fantastic year (2013) where animated movies have reigned gaining  #1,#3 and #7 spot in WW chart.

• Like 1

BH6 needs another 40M$ for break Top Ten in 2014 worldwide chart. If it will not be able to do this, for the first time since 1997, no animated movies will be among the top 10 biggest wordwide grosses, and this could happen after a fantastic year (2013) where animated movies have reigned gaining  #1,#3 and #7 spot in WW chart.

China should contribute another $20M at most.

• Like 1

Interesting that BH6 has seemed to underperform in quite a few of the markets where Dragon 2 did well, and vice versa. Dragon 2 did much better in Europe and Latin America, BH6 has done much better in most of Asia (save for South Korea).

Edited by TServo2049

Interesting that BH6 has seemed to underperform in quite a few of the markets where Dragon 2 did well, and vice versa. Dragon 2 did much better in Europe and Latin America, BH6 has done much better in most of Asia (save for South Korea).

Few differences:

1. Main protagonist and the city in BH6 is very Asian vs. the Vikings in Dragon2. Nothing is more obvious than Japan's BO for BH6. (of course this does not explain Frozen's run). South Korea has their own reluctance as they have some mixed feelings against Japan. BH6 did fine in Latin America, except Brazil, but the exchange rate did not favor them. Europe is a different story.

2. Currency exchange rate favors Dragon 2 in some countries, e.g. Russia, LA.

OK, I wasn't sure how much a part the exchange rates played, I thought that started getting bad in December but I forgot it was happening in November too.

Anybody know how Dragon 2/BH6 admissions compared in Australia? I'm not aware of how the AUD/USD exchange rate has changed.

Edited by TServo2049

Yay! I still feel like they'd make more money by not dropping Marvel name from the movie.

Perhaps, but then again BH6 has out-grossed some of Marvel's own live-action movies, as it is.  I'm not convinced that a Marvel-branded animated feature--even if it used well-known characters--would have grossed more.  I guess you're thinking WDAS + Marvel branding, but there are reasons Disney avoids this with Marvel's movies when they could legitimately brand them as "Disney" in addition like Paramount used to with their own name.

Besides, pure marketing considerations aside, dual branding for BH6 would have been unfair to both WDAS (who made the movie) and Marvel (who did not).

What fastclock said, and in addition HTTYD 2 is a sequel, which is a tremendous advantage in many OS markets (more so and/or more often so than in NA).  Asia was an exception for obvious reasons, but a big part of this was Japan where they usually only seem to go for Pixar and WDAS animated features, among foreign movies that is, regardless of how the rest of the world may view specific movies.  HTTYD 2 wasn't even released in Japan, and it's not all that surprising, based on history.  I guess if it's not Japanese, then for the most part it's got to be Disney--the Japanese have always liked Disney (one possible reason may be that culturally the Japanese tend to like cuteness, and Disney's sense of cuteness happens to be highly compatible), which is why for example among all of Disney's OS theme parks Tokyo Disneyland is the standout success.

Interestingly, Disney--both Pixar and WDAS--have struggled mightily in South Korea, but they kept trying and finally broke through with Frozen (and BH6 didn't do too shabbily at all for an animated feature), while DWA (generally much stronger in South Korea) seems to have given up on Japan for now.

Few differences:

1. Main protagonist and the city in BH6 is very Asian vs. the Vikings in Dragon2. Nothing is more obvious than Japan's BO for BH6. (of course this does not explain Frozen's run).

True, and Frozen's phenomenal success in Japan was based on many other factors.  It didn't hurt that the movie is a fairy tale princess musical, and "Let It Go" and the other songs certainly made an impression, but the movie particularly appealed to the Japanese on several deeper levels, as well (thematically), and fully captured the zeitgeist in this market, no question--for this, Asian/Japanese characters and settings were not necessary at all.

Don't get me wrong, I think that BH6 also has appeal for Japan beyond the superficial, albeit not nearly as much as Frozen does, of course (no movies have besides Spirited Away and Titanic, and Frozen actually sold more tickets than Titanic, which I recall Japanese people going CRAZY for, too).

2. Currency exchange rate favors Dragon 2 in some countries, e.g. Russia, LA.

Yes, the US dollar has generally been strengthening across the board, of late, which has had a negative impact on the OS box office for American movies (a stronger dollar means fewer dollars coming in), and the examples that you gave here are pretty extreme, actually, with those particular currencies generally weakening at the same time (against other currencies collectively).

• Like 1

According to Stan Lee, Disney's planning a sequel:

"After Ant-Man, we're going to start playing around with Doctor Strange, the Black Panther, the Inhumans, and then we have to come back for Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Big Hero 6, The Avengers, Captain America," Lee told the Toronto Sun in a recent interview.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/20/stan-lee-drops-big-hero-6-sequel-news?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Though it could just be wishful thinking on his part.

EDIT: link didn't work.

Edited by Sir Tiki