diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

what is the score that tracks WOM in korea. I remember Cap2, Edge and DOFP having > 9/10

You mean the naver rating I think. Here is the ratings for recent hollywood comic book and blockbuster releases. The ones you mentioned started at >9/10 but gradually decreased over timeCA: TWS - 8.92/10 (11,206 votes)TASM2 - 7.75/10 (11,106 votes)X-Men: DoFP - 8.86/10 (12,009 votes)Edge of tomorrow - 8.94/10 (11,890 votes)TF:AoE - 7.17/10 (10,019 votes)

2014 summer theater preview: A 4-way war between local blockbusters

Posted Image

<From the top right in a clockwise direction: Kundo: Age of the rampant, Roaring currents, Sea fog and The pirates>

4 major local blockbusters is set to make a splash during this summer. during the months July and August the 4 major distribution chains (lotte, CJ, Showbox, NEW) will release big budgeted blockbusters within consecutive weeks of one another.

July 23rd <Kundo: age of the rampant> (showbox)

July 30th <Roaring currents> (CJ)

August 6th <The pirates> (Lotte)

August 13th <Sea fog> (New) 

All four aforementioned films boast a production budget over 10 billion KRW (a big deal in Korea) popular actors and actress cast in lead roles and respected directors at the helm. There will be blood and all eyes are on which film will have the last laugh at the end of the summer. 

-Kundo vs Roaring currents vs the pirates vs Sea Fog

Kundo which is released first is an action film set during the reign of King Chul-Jong of the Joseon Dynasty and depicts the corruption and exploitation activities of the ruling class of aristocrats and officials. The total production budget of this film reached 17 billion KRW. Actor Ha Jung-woo and director Yoon Jong-bin who worked together previously in <Nameless gangster: Rules of the time> (2011) and <The moonlight of Seoul> (2008) join forces again for <Kundo> and the much anticipated return to the big screen for actor Kang Dong-won has fans eagerly awaiting it's release. 

Choi Min-sik, the actor from <oldboy>, <swiri> and <New world> among others takes the lead role of Amiral Yi Sun-shin during the famous battle of Myeongnyang in the year 1954 when Japan invaded South Korea.  The production cost of <Roaring currents> is 19 billion KRW. Kim Han-min, the director of <War of the arrows> (7.45 million admissions) took the megaphone for this film. 

<The pirates> which had a production budget of 17 billion KRW, portrays circumstances surrounding the establishment of Joseon dynasty in which a pirate and a bandit enter a pitched battle to a recover a royal seal that had been swallowed by a whale. Son Ye-jin has been cast as the female lead for this film. 

<Sea Fog> is the first film in which Bong joon-ho is the producer. Shim Sung-bo who wrote the screenplay of <Memories of murder> takes the megaphone for this film in his first time as director. It is about a fishing crew who sail out with dreams of catching a boatload of fish but are instead caught up in a sea fog and an unavoidable maelstrom of events consequences unfold.

- Will there be a win-win situation?

The first half of the year has been just short of a train wreck for local films. Besides <Miss granny> and <A hard day> which crossed 8 million and 3 million admissions respectively, no other film has performed above expectations with majority doing far worse. It's 41.5 million admission up to the month of July is a huge decrease from last years' 55.5 million during the same time frame. This is why people in the Korean film industry as well as the four distribution chains are hoping for a win-win situation that they can all benefit from.  

- Notable foreign releases around the same time

(07/16) Dawn of the planet of the apes

(07/24) How to train your dragon 2

(07/31) Guardians of the Galaxy

Edited by Rsyu

South Korea Daily Box Office (07/02)

-Admissions (total) gross (Drops from LW) title

01. 118,703 (3,085,536) $0.974 million (-74.0%) <Transformers: Age of Extinction> 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02. 65,152 (71,694) $517K (--) <Divine Move> Preview

03. 30,229 (3,195,339) $218K (-35.5%) <A hard day>

04. 28,419 (4,452,854) $210K (-34.0%) <Edge of Tomorrow>

05. 23,838 (26,006) $180K (--) <Mourning Grave> Preview

06. 6,415 (201,254) $44K (-17.8%) <Grace of Monaco

07. 6,222 (206,452) $43K (-20.2%) <The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared>

08. 3,576 (301,345) $25K (-43.3) <La belle et la bete

09. 1,908 (300,078) $14K (-35.7%) <Her

10. 1,814 (591,034) $13K (-62.6%) <For the Emperor>

Transformers: age of extinction cume: $25.429 million
Edge of Tomorrow Cume: $36.117 million 

Current presales

Transformers: Age of Extinction 47.9% (66,091
Divine move 24.1% (33,292) 
Mourning grave 5.8(7,956) 
Confession 5.2% (7,116) 
Edge of tomorrow 3.5% (4,841) 
Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 2

Rsyu, according to KOFIC Transformers grossed  25,997,482,200 KRW

That's between $25.5 and $25.7 mln with different currency converters  I'm using right now. 

I forgot to add monday's gross of $1.472 million

thanks for the correction juni 

• Like 2

2014 summer theater preview: A 4-way war between local blockbusters

Posted Image

<From the top right in a clockwise direction: Kundo: Age of the rampant, Roaring currents, Sea fog and The pirates>

4 major local blockbusters is set to make a splash during this summer. during the months July and August the 4 major distribution chains (lotte, CJ, Showbox, NEW) will release big budgeted blockbusters within consecutive weeks of one another.

July 23rd <Kundo: age of the rampant> (showbox)

July 30th <Roaring currents> (CJ)

August 6th <The pirates> (Lotte)

August 13th <Sea fog> (New) 

All four aforementioned films boast a production budget over 10 billion KRW (a big deal in Korea) popular actors and actress cast in lead roles and respected directors at the helm. There will be blood and all eyes are on which film will have the last laugh at the end of the summer. 

-Kundo vs Roaring currents vs the pirates vs Sea Fog

Kundo which is released first is an action film set during the reign of King Chul-Jong of the Joseon Dynasty and depicts the corruption and exploitation activities of the ruling class of aristocrats and officials. The total production budget of this film reached 17 billion KRW. Actor Ha Jung-woo and director Yoon Jong-bin who worked together previously in <Nameless gangster: Rules of the time> (2011) and <The moonlight of Seoul> (2008) join forces again for <Kundo> and the much anticipated return to the big screen for actor Kang Dong-won has fans eagerly awaiting it's release. 

Choi Min-sik, the actor from <oldboy>, <swiri> and <New world> among others takes the lead role of Amiral Yi Sun-shin during the famous battle of Myeongnyang in the year 1954 when Japan invaded South Korea.  The production cost of <Roaring currents> is 19 billion KRW. Kim Han-min, the director of <War of the arrows> (7.45 million admissions) took the megaphone for this film. 

<The pirates> which had a production budget of 17 billion KRW, portrays circumstances surrounding the establishment of Joseon dynasty in which a pirate and a bandit enter a pitched battle to a recover a royal seal that had been swallowed by a whale. Son Ye-jin has been cast as the female lead for this film. 

<Sea Fog> is the first film in which Bong joon-ho is the producer. Shim Sung-bo who wrote the screenplay of <Memories of murder> takes the megaphone for this film in his first time as director. It is about a fishing crew who sail out with dreams of catching a boatload of fish but are instead caught up in a sea fog and an unavoidable maelstrom of events consequences unfold.

- Will there be a win-win situation?

The first half of the year has been just short of a train wreck for local films. Besides <Miss granny> and <A hard day> which crossed 8 million and 3 million admissions respectively, no other film has performed above expectations with majority doing far worse. It's 41.5 million admission up to the month of July is a huge decrease from last years' 55.5 million during the same time frame. This is why people in the Korean film industry as well as the four distribution chains are hoping for a win-win situation that they can all benefit from.  

- Notable foreign releases around the same time

(07/16) Dawn of the planet of the apes

(07/24) How to train your dragon 2

(07/31) Guardians of the Galaxy

If I was a gambling man, I would say that Roaring Currents is winning. Lee sun-shin + Choi Min-sik just screams to me 'King and  the Clown' or Masquerade level interest. It may not get anywhere near that sort of gross, but if anything is breaking 10M I would go for that one.

Will be very interesting to see if a Bong joon-ho produced film has anything in common with his directed films or whether its just some added name recognition for somebody he has worked with in the past. (It helps that memories of Murder had a pretty good screen play so this may well do too.)

Kundo has the advantage of coming first and Apes will be in its second week (and Transformers will already be long dead).

So I think Pirates is in the biggest danger of being the one that dies, but we shall see.

As for the 3 Hollywood films... Apes will do well in its opening week and if its good will remain strong for a couple of weeks. Dragon is animated and so shouldn;t be affected/have too much affect.

Guardians is the biggest danger of bombing, it will all depend on how much it gets associated with Marvel, Avengers and Ironman amongst the general Audience. If the connection isn't clear, it may not reach 1 million.

• Like 1

If I was a gambling man, I would say that Roaring Currents is winning. Lee sun-shin + Choi Min-sik just screams to me 'King and  the Clown' or Masquerade level interest. It may not get anywhere near that sort of gross, but if anything is breaking 10M I would go for that one.

Will be very interesting to see if a Bong joon-ho produced film has anything in common with his directed films or whether its just some added name recognition for somebody he has worked with in the past. (It helps that memories of Murder had a pretty good screen play so this may well do too.)

Kundo has the advantage of coming first and Apes will be in its second week (and Transformers will already be long dead).

So I think Pirates is in the biggest danger of being the one that dies, but we shall see.

As for the 3 Hollywood films... Apes will do well in its opening week and if its good will remain strong for a couple of weeks. Dragon is animated and so shouldn;t be affected/have too much affect.

Guardians is the biggest danger of bombing, it will all depend on how much it gets associated with Marvel, Avengers and Ironman amongst the general Audience. If the connection isn't clear, it may not reach 1 million.

great analysis. I agree mostly with what you said. Roaring currents looks the most mainstream of the four and Korea getting one over the Japanese is always popular choice so I don't see it flopping.

Sea fog is the one I'm looking forward to most though. Bong Joon-ho has already publicly praised the leading actor Park yu-chun for his acting performances in the film so if the script is up to par (and I believe it will) it should be a great watch. It's already set to be distributed internationally too so they seem pretty confident with what they have. 

The pirates has the weakest acting cast in my opinion and quite frankly, the premise seems a bit absurd. The script and acting performances will need to be really up to scratch for it to compete with the others. 

Agree about guardians of the galaxy. It's being advertised pretty well but the level of interest I feel doesn't match it, at least not yet. Without good word of mouth it could do really bad like sub 2 million admissions. 

• Like 1

Are all these 4 'Period' movies?

Kundo, The pirates and Roaring currents is. As for Sea fog it is based on the true story of 25 Korean-Chinese illegal immigrants who suffocated to death in the storage tank of the fishing vessel Taechangho. Their bodies were dumped by the ship's crew into the sea southwest of Yeosu on October 7, 2001

• Like 1

I love Asian period pieces. Pity that none of these is probably going to reach my country.

Yeah generally local films are targeted at South Koreans only so international distribution is rare. I hope Korean film makers try and make films that target the international community a bit more like Bong joon-ho did with Snowpiercer. 

Edited by Rsyu

South Korea Daily Box Office (07/03)

01. 178,261 (251,101) $1.346 million (--) <Divine Move> New
02. 108,079 (3,194,802) $888K (-65.8%) <Transformers: Age of Extinction>

03. 49,357 (76,155) $359K (--) <Mourning grave> New

04. 21,662 (3,217,179) $157K (-43.8%) <A hard day>

05. 21,225 (4,474,310) $158K (-40.6%) <Edge of tomorrow

06. 4,689 (7,409) $36K (--) <Bad Neighbors> New

07. 4,251 (205,507) $29K (-37.5%) <Grace of Monaco>

08. 3,706 (210,172) $27K (-42.1%) <The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared

09. 1,782 (2,589) $13K (--) <Nymphomaniac Vol.2> New 

10. 1,749 (303,095) $12K (-72.3%) <La Belle et la Bete>

Transformers: age of extinction cume: $26.317 million
Edge of Tomorrow Cume: $36.275 million 

<Transformers: Age of Extinction> is dethroned after just one week at the top. <Her> falls out of the top10 for the first time in 41 days since it's release. <Divine move> is off to a decent start. 

Current presales

Transformers: Age of Extinction 53.9% (103,726
Divine move 22.2% (42,661) 
Mourning grave 4.7(9,026) 
Edge of tomorrow 3.8% (7,392) 
confession 3.7% (7,156) 
Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 3

Transformers to do maybe 45-50 mill total?

Hard to say when it's dropping so hard at the moment. It will win the weekend for sure but how big will it be? It needs to be aiming for $8 million (2+3+3) Friday-Sunday and $40 million should fall. Divine move will be stronger competitions during weekdays though so beyond that I'm not so confident. 

I had no idea this was the case. 

The negotiations for russian release lasted several months. Finally when producers agreed for the price it was too late. The movie was on torrents everywhere. Not worth to buy for our distributors. Even for video release.

• Like 1

South Korea Daily Box Office (07/03)

01. 178,261 (251,101) $1.346 million (--) <Divine Move> New

02. 108,079 (3,194,802) $888K (-65.8%) <Transformers: Age of Extinction>

03. 49,357 (76,155) $359K (--) <Mourning grave> New

04. 21,662 (3,217,179) $157K (-43.8%) <A hard day>

05. 21,225 (4,474,310) $158K (-40.6%) <Edge of tomorrow

06. 4,689 (7,409) $36K (--) <Bad Neighbors> New

07. 4,251 (205,507) $29K (-37.5%) <Grace of Monaco>

08. 3,706 (210,172) $27K (-42.1%) <The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared

09. 1,782 (2,589) $13K (--) <Nymphomaniac Vol.2> New 

10. 1,749 (303,095) $12K (-72.3%) <La Belle et la Bete>

Transformers: age of extinction cume: $26.317 million

Edge of Tomorrow Cume: $36.275 million 

<Transformers: Age of Extinction> is dethroned after just one week at the top. <Her> falls out of the top10 for the first time in 41 days since it's release. <Divine move> is off to a decent start. 

Current presales

Transformers: Age of Extinction 53.9% (103,726

Divine move 22.2% (42,661) 

Mourning grave 4.7(9,026) 

Edge of tomorrow 3.8% (7,392) 

confession 3.7% (7,156) 

I am happy EoT made three times higher than what Oblivion did...Which is my expectaion...:) And i am guessing it will be in top 10 atleast next two weekends...So around 4.7 million admission should happn...and i will be extremely happy if it exceeds that admission...