diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

So, what kind of total do you expect for Roaring Currents? And GOTG?

Roaring currents will pass 10 million admissions during this weekend. If it can keep it's momentum through next week when Sea Fog (local film) is released then it has a clear run with little competition until the end of august. In this scenario Avatar's all time admission record is highly probable. Beyond that who knows :)

Guardians of the galaxy will pass 1 million admissions but fail to reach 1.5 million. I anticipate that Sea fog will take a lot of it's screens next week too. 

• Like 1

Roaring currents will pass 10 million admissions during this weekend. If it can keep it's momentum through next week when Sea Fog (local film) is released then it has a clear run with little competition until the end of august. In this scenario Avatar's all time admission record is highly probable. Beyond that who knows :)

Guardians of the galaxy will pass 1 million admissions but fail to reach 1.5 million. I anticipate that Sea fog will take a lot of it's screens next week too. 

Every time I come here I feel depressed after reading about GOTG in SK ^^"

Roaring Currents is a juggernaut..Beating Avatar could mean more than $100m..

South Korea Daily Box Office (08/08)

-Admissions (Adm total) Gross (weekly %) [sc] Title

01. 689,061   (8,658,753) $5.30m  (-20.4%)  [1,272] <Roaring currents>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02. 290,180      (852,702) $2.19m      (--)        [782] <The Pirates>
03.   53,307   (2,513,061) $0.40m  (-67.4%)   [414] <How to train your Dragon 2>
04.   45,290      (900,977) $405K   (-63.5%)    [335] <guardians of the Galaxy>
05.   33,562        (97,221) $229K       (--)         [278] <Detective Conan: Dimensional Sniper>
06.   16,624   (4,695,390) $126K   (-88.7%)    [227] <Kundo: Age of the Rampant>
07.   11,437        (35,133) $87K         (--)         [269] <Hercules>
08.     4,238        (67,287) $34K     (-10.6%)     [46] <Atilla Marcel>
09.     3,438 (97,338) $22K            (-76.2%)     [59] <Free Birds>
10.     2,451 (7,338) $17K                  (--)          [89] <T-pang rescure>

24. 211 (4,000,181) $1.7K ](-98.5%)  [4] <Dawn of the planet of the apes>

Total admissions: 1,154,862

Roaring Currents Cume: $63.648 million
Kundo: Age of the Rampant cume: $35.011 million
How to train your dragon 2 cume: $19.538 million
Guardians of the Galaxy cume: $7.219 million

Current Presales (midnight local time)
Roaring Currents 65.5% (630,274)
The Pirates 16.8% (161,262)
How to train your dragon 2 5.7% (54,483)
Detective Conan: Dimensional Sniper 3.8% (36,991)
Guardians of the galaxy 3.6% (34,168)

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

Early to say the same will happen to South Korea but I really like how local movies in some big markets have reclaimed the all-time spot to Avatar.

Local movies are just that : local. Most people outside these countries don't give a damn about it.

Local movies are just that : local. Most people outside these countries don't give a damn about it.

That's because people around the world are just so used to watch Hollywood flicks thanks to how governments around the globe allow them to be released in their respective countries but usually they don't release other foreign hits as well. And given how this has happened for decades, it couldn't have happened otherwise. Not to bash U.S. movies but there is no great achievement in the fact that Hollywood movies are hits all over the world while foreign movies aren't, in my opinion.

Besides, my point was more like it's very nice that people also like watching their local movies (and better if they're the all-time grosser).  :ph34r:

• Like 3

Rsya, shouldn't the latest be dated by 8/08 - these are Friday numbers, correct?Wow Roaring Currents will break $75m this w/eGOTG might struggle to reach $10m by the end of it's run.

Yeah it is, thanks :)Roaring currents has dropped in seat saturation from the crazy 80-90% from the end of last week to earlier this week. It's holding at 50%+ which is still amazing for a film in week 2, especially given how many screens it is getting. Logic suggests that with bigger presales compared to last week and similar number of showtimes saturday and sunday should be pretty crazy this weekend too. I guess we'll find out.It's a shame for GotG, they should have done what Apes and lucy did and move the release schedule to a less crowded date. Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

Not to bash U.S. movies but there is no great achievement in the fact that Hollywood movies are hits all over the world while foreign movies aren't, in my opinion.

It's your opinion. It's a great achievement, being successful in so many countries with different languages and cultures is no mean feat, it's a real prowess.

It's your opinion. It's a great achievement, being successful in so many countries with different languages and cultures is no mean feat, it's a real prowess.

That's your opinion too but I'd like to ask you:Do you think you will ever see Roaring Currents or Kundo in your local or nearest theater? Or any other foreign film?As I just said, people are very used to U.S. films and the culture they spawn for decades thanks to how easy is for the Audiences to watch them or to even know about them. Now, if Roaring Currents or Kundo (for example) get released in the whole world right know, would they be super-successful as any other Hollywood blockbuster? Obviously not! People will need years and years to resonate them as there have been very few worldwide- known non-american movies.That being said, and even with that antecedent, its still an achievement for the U.S. movies that break records. Not all films are Avatar, certainly.

People mainly watch Hollywood movies in International markets because of the high production values that local movie industry do not have.

That is why action, sci-fi and animation movies do great compared to comedy or other character driven movies.

Its not that big of achievement, its just money and investment.

• Like 1

^ Basically.

Because of a strong economy, a population of several hundred million people and a fairly significant movie-going culture, the US were able to make more money from their local market than any other country in the world allowing them via reinvestment to make movies which they are the only ones capable of producing. In a few decades a country like China will probably be able to produce them as well but they will always lack the western culture roots of the US, western culture which has been the dominant cultural force of the world for several centuries now.

Edited by Cynosure

Not really arguing against anyone here but since the subject was brought up, I think local films are pretty great (on par with hollywood films for me) and in this age of great subtitles, language isn't a barrier. Here are some great local films that I enjoyed watching:

[*]The Children of heaven (Iran) [*]infernal affairs (Hong Kong) [*]Spirited away (Japan) [*]3 idiots (India) [*]My name is Khan (India) [*]The miracle of Bern (Germany) [*]The last emperor (UK, China, Italy) [*]Life is beautiful (Italy) [*]War and peace (Russia) [*]City of God (Brazil)

If anyone has any more great hidden gems to recommend I'd be really grateful :)

• Like 3

Not really arguing against anyone here but since the subject was brought up, I think local films are pretty great (on par with hollywood films for me) and in this age of great subtitles, language isn't a barrier. Here are some great local films that I enjoyed watching:

[*]The Children of heaven (Iran)

[*]infernal affairs (Hong Kong)

[*]Spirited away (Japan)

[*]3 idiots (India)

[*]My name is Khan (India)

[*]The miracle of Bern (Germany)

[*]The last emperor (UK, China, Italy)

[*]Life is beautiful (Italy)

[*]War and peace (Russia)

[*]City of God (Brazil)

Since you have watched 3 Idiots and MNIK, I would recommend adding "Chak De India" to your watchlist as well.

Since you have watched 3 Idiots and MNIK, I would recommend adding "Chak De India" to your watchlist as well.

Just searched for it online and saw it stars Shah Rukh Khan too :) amazing actor. I loved him in Don as well. I'm definitely giving this a watch

Edited by Rsyu

[*]The Children of heaven (Iran)

[*]infernal affairs (Hong Kong)

[*]Spirited away (Japan)

[*]3 idiots (India)

[*]My name is Khan (India)

[*]The miracle of Bern (Germany)

[*]The last emperor (UK, China, Italy)

[*]Life is beautiful (Italy)

[*]War and peace (Russia)

[*]City of God (Brazil)

Its older but was even in the US respected then

Germany: (about a submarine in WW II)

Das Boot (cinema version = 1981)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/combined

or the far more complex as mini-series (same material, cast,... only not cut down, released in 1985)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081834/combined

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2