diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

I'm not sure really, IMO, he's a factor in Les Mis' success in SK. But Wolverine: Origin did mediocre business over there, though that is one terrible movie.

Well, I hope that The Wolverine will be a good movie, and if Hugh Jackman come to SK to promote, then I think the movie could do decent business. It doesn't always work out that way though, both Will Smith and his son came to SK to promote After Earth, but that sure doesn't help their case  :lol:

:( Aw man. Way to bust my bubble Sam, lol.

• Like 1

Well I am late to this party but here goes...So firstly the specific references to TF3 and MI4. Well they are the 8th and the 41st biggest grossing OS movies of all time, so it does not seem to be a specific to Korea or even Asia problem that these movies did well.With regards to the comment about 70s, 80s and 90's, were as we are talking numbers without inflation here I did a quick check of the top 100 OS movies and there are precisely 0 from the 70s, 1 from the 80s and 9 from the 90s.Now to specifically talk about Korea:Q) Why are 'crap movies' so popular (and let's for the sake of argument take crap to mean effect laden blockbusters.)A) Well, Korea has a very strong domestic film industry. Arguably the most succesful per capita from a non-english speaking country. As an Asian you must be aware that Korean cinema's speciality is drama and story driven thrillers. Korean directors love to bend and twist genres and create films with complex twisting storylines.What this means is that the Korean domesticmarket already covers drama, thriller aand comedy pretty well. They only things they don't really do are big mega budget explodey films, superheroes and animations. Now if we look again at that top 20... ahhh.Q) I don't like that answer, try again.A) People don't like having to read subtitles for deep thought provoking films in general. Ergo when watching in a foreign language, big bangs are more popular to watch.Q) You forgot about that 70s, 80s, 90s jab.A) Good point. Korean cinema and many other aspects of life were under strict dictatorship run censorship up until the late 80s (some argue even until now.) Korean cinema was very weak pre 1996 and the first ever film to break 2million attendence was in 1993 I believe. To try and protect the weak domestic product, a China-style quota system was introduced (its still in effect now but pretty weak) and so only about 20 Hollywood films or so a year were allowed to be shown and on limited screen numbers.All this meant that there were very few cinemas anywhere, and nobody every really watched what was on anyway until the late 90s. Then censorship was eased and a film named Shiri came along that changed everything (and on the Hollywood side Titanic was timed perfectly too).I don't know if that answers everything, (and my memory is fuzzy as its been a couple of years since I was studying this) but I believe that covers most of it.tldr: Korea likes american stuff of course, but only when there is no comparable Korean alternative. And No they really didn't have many movie theatres in the 70s and 80s.

*Standing ovation*I admire how you replied with neutral tone and sound logic towards the condescending, snobbish crap the other guy wrote :) Respect B)