Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

8 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Don't give up hope, you never know. Everyone said my pick of the summer King Arthur would flop (low presales, no buzz) and then...

Well it is a bad example, I'm sure Valerian will do just fine.:sparta:

Well, at least Valerian has little financial risk involved :ph34r: 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

What is even more baffling is that Besson didn't cast ScarJo as Laureline to keep that Lucy momentum...

No idea, but it might've come down to a conflict of schedules. All the various MCU stuff plus GHOST IN THE SHELL is a lot of time. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Yikes. I mean its a french comic book yet France isn't all that excited. Less hype than Lucy says it all. Europe will support Dunkirk. Bombs away.

I don't like associating myself with bombs so bye bye Valerian. Will catch you when you hit the interwebs.

I can say with guarantee that my club http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24334-valerian-under-dunkirk-apes-3-girls-trip-and-spiderman-homecoming-on-july-21st-club/ is going to be a smashing success.

So in the end I will have seen only Spider-man in theatres this july.

Nothing in August.

September - Kingsman 2

October - busy so none

November - thor 3

December - star wars 

Wait... You're serious ?

You're only seeing movie that rules at the box-office. Wow, you're surely missing the best films of the year every year.

I mean, my favorite film of 2017 is A Monster Calls despite it was a big bomb.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

No idea, but it might've come down to a conflict of schedules. All the various MCU stuff plus GHOST IN THE SHELL is a lot of time. 

Yeah, GITS and Rough Night must have been more lucrative priorities in her schedule. :redcapes:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dashrendar44 said:

Yeah, GITS and Rough Night must have been a more lucrative priority in her schedule. 

And they might have been. Pretty sure she got paid a lot more for GITS and Rough Night, especially GITS.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Yeah, GITS and Rough Night must have been more lucrative priorities in her schedule. :redcapes:

Considering how much seem to have been ready to spent on actor versus the rest, it must have been the case for sure for GITS.

There is at least 2 strong aspect for Besson to go with not as well established and younger actor:

) Lock them easily for the yet to be written sequels on a unproven concept

) Cost

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

And they might have been. Pretty sure she got paid a lot more for GITS and Rough Night, especially GITS.

That's what I'm saying, the only reason is the fatter paychecks. Lucrative for her only, not lucrative nor profitable for the producers instead of securing another project with Besson after Lucy which was both lucrative and profitable for everyone involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Yikes. I mean its a french comic book yet France isn't all that excited. Less hype than Lucy says it all. Europe will support Dunkirk. Bombs away.

I don't like associating myself with bombs so bye bye Valerian. Will catch you when you hit the interwebs.

I can say with guarantee that my club http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24334-valerian-under-dunkirk-apes-3-girls-trip-and-spiderman-homecoming-on-july-21st-club/ is going to be a smashing success.

So in the end I will have seen only Spider-man in theatres this july.

Nothing in August.

September - Kingsman 2

October - busy so none

November - thor 3

December - star wars 

We need @Rey to whoop this dude's ass.

1 hour ago, dashrendar44 said:

What is even more baffling is that Besson didn't cast ScarJo as Laureline to keep that Lucy momentum...

39 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Come on now. She's a 32 year-old mom now (she was neither when she made Lucy at the time). Only got a few more years until the grandma roles come calling.

Sad reality of course being that she's a more age-appropriate love interest for DeHaan (31) than Delevingne (24).

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Come on now. She's a 32 year-old mom now (she was neither when she made Lucy at the time). Only got a few more years until the grandma roles come calling.

Sad reality of course being that she's a more age-appropriate love interest for DeHaan (31) than Delevingne (24).

Part of the charm of the movie is DeHaan acting like a bratty teen. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Part of the charm of the movie is DeHaan acting like a bratty teen. 

One of his earliest roles was as a teen on In Treatment several years back. Have we found the male Ellen Page (who still finds herself in teen/college student kinds of roles even though Juno was 10 years ago)?

52 minutes ago, BastienGiot said:

Wait... You're serious ?

You're only seeing movie that rules at the box-office. Wow, you're surely missing the best films of the year every year.

A monster calls didn't release in any of the multiplexes I go to. Maybe not even in the country.

So yeah...didn't watch it. Many great films but bombs don't release here.

Also, what's the point of watching a bomb? Word gets out really fast in my country and theaters are empty for a bomb. I once watched a movie alone in the theater. It wasn't fun. 

Edited by marveldcfox

• Community Manager
58 minutes ago, BastienGiot said:

Wait... You're serious ?

I don't think A Monster Calls was a big bomb at all? Just because it wasn't a blockbuster doesn't mean it failed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

I don't think A Monster Calls was a big bomb at all? Just because it wasn't a blockbuster doesn't mean it failed.

It didn't make its budget in WW gross and only made 3M domestic. I think that matches what a bomb is.

• Like 4

I don't like associating myself with bombs so bye bye Valerian.

I wonder how prevalent that is (I know people that do mention the first weekend box office, not even leg actual first weekend as a reason to not go see a movie when it is low) and the relation with the first weekend and the second is so strong that it must be really common.