Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

• Founder / Operator

A Spidey Fan's Retraction: My Thoughts on TASM

http://boxofficetheo...fans-surrender/

No secret: I’ve been very bearish on the prospects of The Amazing Spider-Man over the past few months, slowly decreasing my expectations for the film on both a level of quality and box office earnings. With that said, my feelings on each:

The movie: Solid. I can’t say that I enjoyed the film more than Raimi’s first two entries in 2002 and 2004, but the at-times-awful marketing campaign of TASM was indeed hiding something of actual substance. Does it feel like a retread at times? Definitely. But does it do the job of re-establishing a universe with all new faces and a slightly different spin on the fate of Peter Parker? Generally, yes. The film is not without its visual flaws (particularly some of the action sequences and CG), but the cast is nothing short of outstanding. Garfield, Stone, Sheen, Leary, and Field all provide excellent character moments on par with some the best moments of Raimi’s film. Granted, the cast is not what I was ever worried about — but the script certainly gave them something to work with. At the end of the day I can say that I’ll probably see this again in theaters, that I’m curious to see where they take the sequels, and that as a Spider-Man fan — I left entertained. The franchise still needs work (a more “cinematic” vision being a key necessity in the next sequel), but this is the film I *wanted* to see in 2007. Kudos for that, Sony and co. But there’s still some work to do.

Box office: With an estimated $35 million opening day, its clear that the Spider-Man brand is still relatively bulletproof. Its anyone’s guess as to where the film winds up (as a reboot to a modern franchise, we’re still in somewhat new territory here), but if it follows the pace of 2007′s Transformers (which opened the Tuesday before Independence Day), it has a legitimate shot at $275-300 million — pending word of mouth. I maintain that the film has some quiet moments that make it a little less kid-friendly than first three films or something like The Avengers, as well as the fact that The Dark Knight Rises will immediately cut off adult interest in the film two weeks from now, but the fact remains that the reviews are decent and audiences are generally enjoying the film on some level.

Win some, lose some. Its nice to be wrong about things sometimes because that’s how I find the best lessons are learned. I bought into some of the pre-release negative buzz on the film and — in some ways — began to judge it based solely on what I still feel was an incredibly flawed marketing campaign. I’m happy to say, as a fan of the character, that a lot of that negative buzz was bull$#@!. It happens to us all, and I’m glad that a lot of it proved to be (in my opinion) untrue — or at least “misleading”.

I won’t defend the flaws of the film, and I won’t defend the hit-and-miss marketing campaign. But this opening day is a testament to the power of the character. Even when considering that it has inflation, 3D, and IMAX prices on its side, its still a reboot of a well-established franchise that only left the big screen five years ago — with a poorly received film, at that. It featured new faces and, above all, it attempted to convince us that we as audiences should see a remake of a great movie that’s only ten years old. Mission: successful. It may not be a superior film from my point of view, and I may still wish that Marvel had full control of the Spider-Man film franchise, but The Amazing Spider-Man turned out to be something that I can only say about two or three other movies this summer: it was worth the price of admission.

• Like 5

I'm a proud Spider-Fan. :DAnd Neo, you're reading this, let's hope you keep killing it on the predictions and that they end up escalating even to higher heights.

Thanks and hopefully you are right.

So AA, is my $320m prediction still "stubborn"? Looking pretty damn realistic I'd say. :)

We'll see. I felt it needed to get 40m on OD to get there in my original 320m prediction. My feeling now is that if it gets 300m it's just gonna squeak by it.

No secret: I’ve been very bearish on the prospects of The Amazing Spider-Man over the past few months, slowly decreasing my expectations for the film on both a level of quality and box office earnings. With that said, my feelings on each:

The movie: Solid. I can’t say that I enjoyed the film more than Raimi’s first two entries in 2002 and 2004, but the at-times-awful marketing campaign of TASM was indeed hiding something of actual substance. Does it feel like a retread at times? Definitely. But does it do the job of re-establishing a universe with all new faces and a slightly different spin on the fate of Peter Parker? Generally, yes. The film is not without its visual flaws (particularly some of the action sequences and CG), but the cast is nothing short of outstanding. Garfield, Stone, Sheen, Leary, and Field all provide excellent character moments on par with some the best moments of Raimi’s film. Granted, the cast is not what I was ever worried about — but the script certainly gave them something to work with. At the end of the day I can say that I’ll probably see this again in theaters, that I’m curious to see where they take the sequels, and that as a Spider-Man fan — I left entertained. The franchise still needs work (a more “cinematic” vision being a key necessity in the next sequel), but this is the film I *wanted* to see in 2007. Kudos for that, Sony and co. But there’s still some work to do.

Box office: With an estimated $35 million opening day, its clear that the Spider-Man brand is still relatively bulletproof. Its anyone’s guess as to where the film winds up (as a reboot to a modern franchise, we’re still in somewhat new territory here), but if it follows the pace of 2007′s Transformers (which opened the Tuesday before Independence Day), it has a legitimate shot at $275-300 million — pending word of mouth. I maintain that the film has some quiet moments that make it a little less kid-friendly than first three films or something like The Avengers, as well as the fact that The Dark Knight Rises will immediately cut off adult interest in the film two weeks from now, but the fact remains that the reviews are decent and audiences are generally enjoying the film on some level.

Win some, lose some. Its nice to be wrong about things sometimes because that’s how I find the best lessons are learned. I bought into some of the pre-release negative buzz on the film and — in some ways — began to judge it based solely on what I still feel was an incredibly flawed marketing campaign. I’m happy to say, as a fan of the character, that a lot of that negative buzz was bull$#@!. It happens to us all, and I’m glad that a lot of it proved to be (in my opinion) untrue — or at least “misleading”.

I won’t defend the flaws of the film, and I won’t defend the hit-and-miss marketing campaign. But this opening day is a testament to the power of the character. Even when considering that it has inflation, 3D, and IMAX prices on its side, its still a reboot of a well-established franchise that only left the big screen five years ago — with a poorly received film, at that. It featured new faces and, above all, it attempted to convince us that we as audiences should see a remake of a great movie that’s only ten years old. Mission: successful. It may not be a superior film from my point of view, and I may still wish that Marvel had full control of the Spider-Man film franchise, but The Amazing Spider-Man turned out to be something that I can only say about two or three other movies this summer: it was worth the price of admission.

Let me be the first:

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

For the sequel we are looking at 40M+ OD and upwards of 45M+

Isnt the sequel going to be on a Friday? First weekend of May in 2014, right? Id say probably 60 or more, depending on how much the GA likes the first one. Edited by Orestes

Isnt the sequel going to be on a Friday? First weekend of May in 2014, right? Id say probably 60 or more, depending on how much the GA likes the first one.

Yes it will my early predict is 60M+ I guess you can compare TF1 and TF2 for the sequel. Difference is one is June and the other is July.

iJack is the new BKB :P (in the good sense....everybody was against them and now they are WINNING

Since Amaing Spider-Man didn't break $20M midnight, $50M opening day or $400-$500M domestic total as he predicted, you might want to look up the word "WINNING."

Well said

iJack is the new BKB :P (in the good sense....everybody was against them and now they are WINNING

Thank you in the name of all Spider-Fans here and out there. :D

So iJack, you predicted 50M. Is 35M disappointing?

No way, look up for Neo's prediction, it's one that given the right legs, could give The Amazing Spider-Man the same results that I'm expecting. I'm happy like a kid with the most bad ass toy in the night of Christmas right now for seeing our old webhead making history once again. I'm sure that deep down you're feeling the same way too. ;)

Since Amaing Spider-Man didn't break $20M midnight, $50M opening day or $400-$500M domestic total as he predicted, you might want to look up the word "WINNING."

I was the single one predicting a $50m opening day and the $20m midnight wasn't on my official prediction, I'd say that if you don't think that I am "WINNING", The Amazing Spider-Man and his fucking astonishing Spider-Fans out there are. And I'm celebrating with them. :D

• Founder / Operator

Wonder which marketing campaign was worse, TASM or BB. I dont recall much of the BB campaign, but I've heard a few folks say it stank.

Its a tough call. Begins was a much better film (IMO), which probably makes the marketing department's failure harder to excuse.On second thought, its not tough at all. Definitely Begins. :lol: