Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

While I really liked Dafoe as Osborne, I didn't think Raimi did a very good job with the GG at all. I thought the suit didn't look that great, I thought the mask was silly, and as a villain he didn't really have much to do at all.

Dafoe KILLED it as both the Norman and GG personalities. The scene of him talking to himself in the mirror is classic! Heck, they didn't even really NEED the suit, IMHO. Of course, then they wouldn't have been able to sell as many toys... ;)

Dafoe was fantastic, and the way they used him to haunt Harry in the sequels was great. Those were some of the strongest scenes in the whole trilogy.It was definitely a very wise idea to steer clear of the Goblin for this movie, and just focus almost entirely on the Lizard.

• Like 1

The thing is GG allows spectacular fights because GG can fly like Spidey.A giant fat green lizard is a bit too easy for Spidey me thinks.Same for Octopus, the way he moved allowed to make the best action sequence in any comic book movie.

The thing is GG allows spectacular fights because GG can fly like Spidey.A giant fat green lizard is a bit too easy for Spidey me thinks.Same for Octopus, the way he moved allowed to make the best action sequence in any comic book movie.

Have you seen the film?

While I really liked Dafoe as Osborne, I didn't think Raimi did a very good job with the GG at all. I thought the suit didn't look that great, I thought the mask was silly, and as a villain he didn't really have much to do at all.

FINISH IT! FINISH IIIIT!
  • Like 2

• Founder / Operator

I don't think we're ready for Goblins or symbiotes yet. I really think they're best taking someone like Electro or Mysterio, something different.

Good point. Even The Lizard still felt like a carryover from Raimi's films given they kept including Connors in the films and strongly hinting at his eventual transformation.They need one film (at least) where the villain is completely fresh, much like Scarecrow and al Ghul were in Begins before Nolan started pulling from the more well-known gallery of Batman villains (all of whom had already been used on film, in fact).

one thing they need to realize is that they can have multiple villains in one movie and that Spider-Man 3 wasn't bad because there were "too many villains" in it

Two is fine. Three is overkill, IMO.

maybe they can make him the Hobgoblin instaed of the Green Goblin in order to use someone different

I like that idea but no one in the general public knows who Hobgoblin is. He would come off as a cheap rip off. GG is Spidey's main baddie in the public's eye, the Joker to Spidey's Batman.

I don't think we're ready for Goblins or symbiotes yet. I really think they're best taking someone like Electro or Mysterio, something different.

Well then you should have been rooting for this movie to do well, because if it doesn't suddenly grow Daddy Long Legs, GG is probably what you'll be getting. They may have been saving him for later, but I don't think they can afford to after TASM's performance thus far.Remember, the only Spider-Man to gross north of 400m(500m if you adjust) was the first movie and Sony realizes who the villain was in that film. And even if you chalk up most of the grosses to Spider-Man himself, GG was established as his main villain in the public eye.

Good point. Even The Lizard still felt like a carryover from Raimi's films given they kept including Connors in the films and strongly hinting at his eventual transformation.They need one film (at least) where the villain is completely fresh, much like Scarecrow and al Ghul were in Begins before Nolan started pulling from the more well-known gallery of Batman villains (all of whom had already been used on film, in fact).

I thought Lizard was crap, and I've been championing him as a villain since 2002. I'd even consider ranking Sandman above him, who at least had some cool visuals and action scenes.

Remember, the only Spider-Man to gross north of 400m(500m if you adjust) was the first movie and you Sony realizes who the villain was in that film. And even if you chalk up most of the grosses to Spider-Man himself, GG was established as his main villain in the public eye.

If they do use him, hopefully they dont fuck it up by killing him off at the end.
  • Like 1

Well then you should have been rooting for this movie to do well, because if it doesn't suddenly grow Daddy Long Legs, GG is probably what you'll be getting. They may have been saving him for later, but I don't think they can afford to after TASM's performance thus far.Remember, the only Spider-Man to gross north of 400m(500m if you adjust) was the first movie and Sony realizes who the villain was in that film. And even if you chalk up most of the grosses to Spider-Man himself, GG was established as his main villain in the public eye.

I think it's only really people familiar with the character who know that GG is his arch-villain. I dread to think that most people would say Venom.
  • Like 1

I like that idea but no one in the general public knows who Hobgoblin is. He would come off as a cheap rip off. GG is Spidey's main baddie in the public's eye, the Joker to Spidey's Batman.

Isn't it VENOM?

I thought Lizard was crap, and I've been championing him as a villain since 2002. I'd even consider ranking Sandman above him, who at least had some cool visuals and action scenes.

Sandman sucks for being retconned as Uncle Ben's killer. Nothing saves him from that.