Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

TUESDAY 9 AM: I’ve just learned that Sony Pictures’ The Amazing Spider-Man opened with $7.5 million in midnight showings from 3,150 theaters, which is the same result as such blockbuster films as Iron Man 2, Pirates Of The Caribbean 2, and even Spider-Man 3 (playing in only 3,031 venues). “We’re right up there with big boys, giving us a great hand-off,” a Sonyexecutive tells me.

Source: http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/

And after that, it was transformed to this:

The Amazing Spider-Man earned an estimated $7.5 million from midnight shows last night. Among comic book movies, that's much lower than The Avengers ($18.7 million) and The Dark Knight, but about on par with Iron Man 2 ($7.5 million). Sony is also reporting that the figure is identical to Spider-Man 3's midnight haul from the first weekend of May 2007. IMAX showings at 300 locations accounted for $1.2 million, or 16 percent of the gross. (bolded by me)

At first I thought it could've been advance screenings besides the midnight screening, because the single report that we have of 2007 never mention midnight numbers, only that Friday made $49m, leading us to believe that it could be more than the midnight screening for this $10m, but now I think that what Nikki reported is been taken too seriously:

"Right with the big boys" IMO means that they are in the same ballpark, which isn't that wrong. But hey, let's crucify Sony in flames for the damned reboot. I was just trying to give Sony the benefit of the dout, and out of sudden I'm defending Sony's lies.

I have no problem with the reboot mate. I'm not a huge fan of the Raimi flicks to begin with. I just prefer that the studios be honest in their reporting, that's all.

Now, if you want to talk about areas where Sony deserves crucifixion: how about the disastrous security breach for their PlayStation network and the fact that they didn't tell their customers until a week later? Clusterfuck. Or how about the rootkit fiasco with some of their audio CD's back in the early 2000's. I like Sony's products for the most part, but they've made some pretty huge blunders in terms of treating their customers properly.

I don't see anything strong in a 27M OD, but ok...

Especially if 7.5m of it is from midnights. :unsure:Waiting for JackO or baumer to say TASM will have done less than MM if you take out the midnights. :lol::P

Wait, how did this get to be 70+ pages? Somebody tell me what I missed so I don't have take 2 hours to find out? :lol:Anyway, this number is exactly what I expected. I went this morning at 10:30 and the theater was about 90% full in a 2D theater. Everyone seemed to like it and there was clapping at the end(other than me and I didn't start it. LOL)I think it's a B+/A- film and while it did cover some similar ground as SM1 I found it different enough to keep me entertained.1. SM2 A+2. SM1 A3. TASM A-(Pending a 2nd viewing)4. SM3 B-

I just saw TASM, and thats more or less my view of the Spider-Man movies. I would probably drop SM3 to a C though. I had several concerns going into this movie, but only one or two ended up materializing onscreen, the chief being that Lizard looked bad.I was also concerned that they would try to go for a Nolanesque feel for the movie, kinda the whole dark/gritty/real thing, but thankfully I didnt get that vibe. It didn't have the tone of the Raimi films, which was something I felt Raimi absolutely nailed as far as Spider-Man is concerned, but TASM also didnt feel like it wasn't a Spider-Man film, if that makes sense.As far as Tobey and Andrew as Spider-Man, I would say Andrew has a slight edge. Thats not a slight against Tobey, though. I know some folks like to knock Tobey, but I liked him as Parker, so screw those people. Emma, however, was a far better Gwen than Kirsten was an MJ. Good chemistry between her and Garfield, too. Hopefully that chemistry holds up for the sequel.Oh, and mechanical web shooters > than organic. That's one thing were I think Raimi definitely screwed the pooch. Edited by Orestes

Especially if 7.5m of it is from midnights. :unsure:

Waiting for JackO or baumer to say TASM will have done less than MM if you take out the midnights. :lol::P

Just noticed that now :blink:

I don't know what people were expecting Sony to report? Is it something like

- WE ARE DOOMED, THOSE GUYS AT BOXOFFICE.COM WERE RIGHT, THIS REBOOT IS GOING TO HELL, I CALL PARLAY?

I don't think that calling the midnight box office of this film in the same ballpark than IM2, DMC and SM3 is THAT wrong, but I guess that I've chosen the wrong side, I should go with the hive mind instead of trying to be reasonable and think for myself, then I wouldn't be defending Sony's ass. :)

I watched TASM tonight, The Fugitive last night (great film btw) and I've recently been going through my Twin Peaks boxset again. So everything I've been watching recently has made me pretty suspicious of dudes with one arm...

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 4

• Founder / Operator

That's OK, I'll never forgive them for having two Spider-Man origin films yet still no better than a 75% reverent adaption of it, so anything else they do or say doesn't really bother or surprise me. While I was disappointed in seeing another origin adaption, the rest of the film was damn good, and Garfield blew Maguire out of the water in a lot of ways, IMO.

Knowing you're pretty picky about the franchise, this gives me some encouragement for when I see it tonight.

Oh, and mechanical web shooters > than organic. That's one thing were I think Raimi definitely screwed the pooch.

I always liked the switch to organic shooters. If Parker can climb walls, why can't he shoot webbing?
  • Like 3

I have no problem with the reboot mate. I'm not a huge fan of the Raimi flicks to begin with. I just prefer that the studios be honest in their reporting, that's all.Now, if you want to talk about areas where Sony deserves crucifixion: how about the disastrous security breach for their PlayStation network and the fact that they didn't tell their customers until a week later? Clusterfuck. Or how about the rootkit fiasco with some of their audio CD's back in the early 2000's. I like Sony's products for the most part, but they've made some pretty huge blunders in terms of treating their customers properly.

Forget Subers hiperbolic report and read again Nikki's report with attention and like it was the first time. Do you really think that saying "the same result as" should be taken literally? Don't you give Sony execs more credit thinking that maybe it's obvious to actually figure it out that there are differences between the midnight openings of all these films? Don't you think that reading the line "We’re right up there with big boys, giving us a great hand-off" is typical studio convo, and not even that bad, since it implies that they are in the same ballpark with the numbers of those films? What were the executives suppose to say? "Meh"?I know that it's difficult to ask for reasoning here sometimes, but hey, that was what I was trying to do earlier. Anyone with an internet connection could see the differences between these films box offices, I find it hard to believe that they meant THE EXACT SAME THING instead of "right with the big boys", which means to me "the same ballpark", but it's more funny to play that this is a big bomb than actually a solid number for some. Edited by iJackSparrow

I always liked the switch to organic shooters. If Parker can climb walls, why can't he shoot webbing?

Because if it were in keeping with how spiders shoot webbing, it woulda shot out his ass.
  • Like 1

Forget Subers hiperbolic report and read again Nikki's report with attention and like it was the first time. Do you really think that saying "the same result as" should be taken literally? Don't you give Sony execs more credit thinking that maybe it's obvious to actually figure it out that there are differences between the midnight openings of all these films? Don't you think that reading the line "We’re right up there with big boys, giving us a great hand-off" is typical studio convo, and not even that bad, since it implies that they are in the same ballpark with the numbers of those films? What were the executives suppose to say? "Meh"?

No, but they don't need to lie. Nikki's post reads like it was written by the studio. The midnight opening isn't "stellar," just like it isn't bad by any means either. It's a very solid opening. They could have just said they were very pleased with it, then pointed out that IM2 made the same thing and went on to earn $128m in 3 days.

That's OK, I'll never forgive them for having two Spider-Man origin films yet still no better than a 75% reverent adaption of it, so anything else they do or say doesn't really bother or surprise me. While I was disappointed in seeing another origin adaption, the rest of the film was damn good, and Garfield blew Maguire out of the water in a lot of ways, IMO.

I don't want to get into spoilers, so I'll just ask you a yes/no question. What didn't you like about the origin story?.....just kidding.In all seriousness, you didn't feel that TASM did the origin story any better than SM1? Or it was better but just not good enough?