ecstasy

EW 15 Most Impressive Box Office Runs So Far

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/04/best-box-office-performances-of-2012/#more-75835"There have been loads of strong performers with sensible budgets, so it was difficult to whittle down the slate (sorry, Safe House and Contraband, you were thisclose to making the cut!), but whittle I did. Thus, here is my totally-up-for-debate list of the 15 Most Impressive* Box Office Performances of 2012… so far."

Before reading this, there's 15 already for this year? A lot of them are bound to be not very impressive.

Well it's impressive to the writer. You don't have to agree with any of them.

But to the writer's defence, coming up with 15 impressive box office runs isn't a easy feat, especially when there really isn't all that many that qualify as impressive so far this year.

Awful list. Only top two will end up being in the top 10 performances of the year. Secondly, I have big problem with one of their assumptions. If you are going to take the budget into account then you cannot completely ignore the Worldwide gross. A movie like The Lorax made only $100 million Overseas. Mad3 will easily quadruple it while making the same amount domestically so why punish it for a few extra millions in production budget when Dreamworks Ani will end up getting more bang for their buck?

Edited by TLK

But to the writer's defence, coming up with 15 impressive box office runs isn't a easy feat, especially when there really isn't all that many that qualify as impressive so far this year.

Well, he couldn't come up with 15 impressive runs so ...

I'm surprised that neither The Vow nor Safe House made the cut. Seeing two movies each open to $40 million and top $125 million with February release dates is unheard of, and The Vow kicked off Channing Tatum's huge year in very impressive fashion while Safe House proved once again that Denzel Washington still has very strong star power.