The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

If TDKR makes TDK's WW gross, Batman is the winner. He made huge money without the Joker.

And finally made way more money overseas than domestic despite a very big domestic total. Batman has never pulled that one off before. The only time in the past where the overseas total was bigger than domestic happened because Batman & Robin failed to even reach its $125m budget in North American box office.

Ah, okay, the Nolanites and Batloonies have now come to the conclusion The Joker is the essence of Batman...That the domestic/overseas ratio improves dramatically has yet to be proven.

Are you watching the international results at all? It's pretty obvious that the worldwide breakdown will be significantly different from TDK, BB, BF, BR, or B89.

Ah, okay, the Nolanites and Batloonies have now come to the conclusion The Joker is the essence of Batman...

That sentence doesn't make sense. 'Batloonies' wouldn't think the Joker is the essence of Batman. What's pretty obvious is that the Batman-Joker dynamic was a massive draw for audiences. So TDKR beating TDK's WW gross would break that trend.

And by the way Pinocchio, I came to that conclusion about the Joker many years ago. I've caught a lot of hell for saying TDKR would drop $100m from TDK's domestic gross even with 4 years of inflation and more IMAX. All I did was looked at the franchise history. The two Joker movies stand out way above any of the others in domestic ticket sales. TDKR looks like it will be the biggest non-Joker Batman movie by around 20% in admissions (compared to Batman Forever) in North America, while it will be the biggest Batman film period in overseas admissions.

I think pinocchio you need to take off your hatred glasses, because you make no sense at all. The WoM is excellent. The OS figures are great so far, which clearly shows that our original 1.2 billion prediction could have happened. 1 billion is still very likely, which is amazing given the current predicament that the film is in.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

I think pinocchio you need to take off your hatred glasses, because you make no sense at all. The WoM is excellent. The OS figures are great so far, which clearly shows that our original 1.2 billion prediction could have happened. 1 billion is still very likely, which is amazing given the current predicament that the film is in.

How in the world do you come to the conclusion I have "hatred glasses"? Enjoyed BB and TDK, didn't enjoy TDKR and that's it.Stuff like "WOM is excellent" is just the usual nonsense fanboys tell. I would never say based on my own experience that WOM is bad. Just doesn't make any sense at all. What's your problem?

I think that's what both sides are saying - if you're emotionally engaged by the film, supposed plot holes don't matter.

That said, I find it odd that Bruce's return to Gotham is the one many are coming back to. For someone of his ability, getting home and infiltrating his city are the least of his hardships.

No kidding, right? That seems like the biggest no brainer.. showing his journey would just waste time.

I'm still waiting for the plot holes. Yours pinocchio, because the article you linked is clearly BS. I'm up for positice cricism, but when someone rants about Caine's acting or Bruce's broken back or the journey back to Gotham that's not criticism, that's BS.

Alfred, I just gave you three links of a million when you google "Dark Knight Plot Holes". And I clearly said in general I don't care for plot holes at all. What's your problem? (This is getting silly.)

Dark Alfred....at this point I think it's fair to say that you win the biggest Nolan fan on this forum award. Congrats! Keep up the good work. :) I admire your devotion...for better or worse I've never been able to work myself into such a frenzy over a film.The plot hole discussion is a red herring of sorts at this point. Plot holes aside TDKR bored me....had pacing issues and I felt like it was the worst of the trilogy (a trilogy that I otherwise enjoyed).The general audience has spoken....while the shooting had SOME impact I don't think most non fans want to sit through near three hours of a boring, poorly paced film with action sequences that pale in comparison to what Nolan has provided before. I don't think it should be a surpise that the biggest film of the year is the exact opposite of TDKR...a film that doesn't go on forever, that's FUN and actually ENTERTAINS. Summer films should entertain IMO....I don't think anyone wanted Bruce Wayne -The English Patient (and I actually LIKED The English Patient).

• Like 1

Non-plot hole comments from critics in case anyone needs target practice. From http://badassdigest.com/2012/07/26/film-crit-hulk-smash-hulk-vs.-the-dark-knight-rises/ :

"THE REAL PROBLEM IN THE DARK KNIGHT RISES IS THAT NOLAN UTTERLY FORGOT TO INCLUDE THE THINGS HE DOES BEST."

"MEANWHILE, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES DOES NOT HAVE A THEMATIC THROUGH-LINE WHATSOEVER.YES, THERE ARE IDEAS IN THE FILM. SOME OF THEM ARE EVEN COMPELLING. BUT THEY ALL SEEM TO GET LOST IN THE CHAOS OF... WELL... WHATEVER ELSE IS GOING ON. EVEN IF THE IDEAS INTERSECT WITH CHARACTER PURPOSE OR PLOT FOR A GIVEN MOMENT THEY WILL BE UNDONE A MOMENT LATER AND GIVE WAY TO A NEW, OFTEN CONTRADICTORY AIM. "

"AND AS A RESULT, ALL THOSE NEAT BITS OF HAPPINESS THAT THE SCOOBY DOO MEGA HAPPY ENDING COULD HAVE AFFORDED US... WELL... THEY DON'T ACTUALLY WORK ON A STORY LEVEL. THEY'RE NICE, BUT THEY AREN'T EARNED. "

(Hulk speak in original all caps...sorry if it offends).