21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I liked the idea of the movie but you could tell that they changed directors but it still holds together. While there are some off scenes, overall, it is still a good movie.

The addition of Zod and his crew was a nice touch.

I have it a bit below the original, but still good.

I give it a B+, possibly an A-

Before TDK, this was my favourite superhero film. Yes the change in directors may have hurt it somewhat but there are so many iconic scenes in here that it covers up any in-deficiencies it might have. The idea to have him lose his powers against the three knuckleheads in the space prism prison was brilliant. And it makes for some beautiful payoffs in the film. Lois telling Ursa that she's a real bitch was fantastic and then of course Clarke beating up the truck stop dude at the end when he gets his super strength back was epic. This, imo, is up there with Spiderman 2, The Watchmen and Batman Begins and a few others as the best super hero film ever made next to TDK. 9/10

My thoughts on the Lester vs Donner cuts:

I've recently seen them both again and I want to play a bit of 'devil's advocate' for the Lester version. Let's do a step by step grading of each individual aspect of the two films. Now this is a review of Thau's edited Donner cut, not how the film would have actually been had Donner actually did it. Because we all know a Donner Superman II would have won without a punch thrown.

Plot- Winner: Donner.

This is probably the easiest category. The Donner cut flows so much better, and the way Superman is revealed to Lois is far superior to the goofy way Lester handled it. The plot of the Donner cut is not without its flaws, however. First, there's the problem Thau had of inter-cutting the Donner and Lester versions to show a cohesive plot. He chose to cut out a lot of Lester's exposition scenes and the film suffers from a herky jerky feel. After they use the superior Donner version of how Lois 'shoots' Clark to expose his identity, the next scene they are abruptly on their way to the Fortress of Solitude. And she's kissing his shoulder like they've revealed they love each other, but there was no scene explaining that. Just one example of a few mini plot holes.

Acting- Winner- Lester.

I know, I know, "But what about all of the bit players who just come off as comedy relief and nothing more?" And I'd have to agree with you there, however, using the cut scenes that were probably cut for a reason is just plain jarring. Especially during what should be a very important scene in the film; When Lois exposes Clark, Thau was forced to go back and forth between Reeve's screen tests and the Donner scenes. I also realize there was a disclaimer of it at the beginning of the film, but that doesn't help me get into a scene that would have otherwise been excellent, even brilliant. Also, Reeve was constantly honing his craft, so in the more emotional scenes, let's face it, his acting in the Lester version was far better.

Action/Entertainment Value- Winner- Lester.

Say what you want about how much better it was that Superman caused the Phantom Zone to break via the nuke he sent out to space in the first film rather than the Effel Tower elevator car. But removing that entire scene takes away from a lot of the action the Lester version of Superman II had. Also, Thau chose to go with the Donner version in as many parts as he could. The end result of which is a lot of unfinished action scenes and set pieces which look inferior to the more polished Lester version. The action in the Donner cut may have been more reverent to the comic, but I'd still take a huge S and teleportation over boring any day of the week. But that brings us to...

Reverence to the Source Material- Winner- Donner.

This is pretty easy as well, but while Thau's Donner cut gets rid of a lot of the more lame elements the Lester version introduced, it still had Zod levitating a rifle and walking on water. And apparently Kryptonians don't need air to breathe, but that was a problem inherent to the Salkind Superman film series. Say what you want about Singer's Superman Returns, but at least he had a ship to go into space rather than just flying there and back.

Bottom line- Winner- Tie. While there are parts I feel the Donner cut is superior in, there are also parts of the Lester version I prefer. If they had incorporated all of the elements I liked from both versions, then we would be talking about one of my top 3 films. But alas, I'm still waiting for the perfect Superman film. And I may be waiting for that for rest of my life. I love the first film, both versions of number 2 and MOS, but they are all far from perfect.

Edited by Dining on Crow on Krypton™
  • Like 1

Kneel before this movie. My favourite superhero movie when growing up. Liked it more than even Burtons Batman. 

I saw the Donnor cut a few years ago but i prefer Lesters version. Donnors cut was obviously incomplete so it may have hindered it abit.

A

it baffles me how this and the first Superman get universal praises. I think (it must be) nostalgia is the only way to enjoy the the original Superman and its sequel or maybe it's not really my kind of movie. 35/100

1. Superman Returns 90/1002. Man of Steel 75/1003. Superman 2 (Lester) 35/1004. Superman 30/100