Fullbuster

Man of Steel thread OS

Oh Sam,don't say that,Kal will be saddened :oIt won't pass TASM imo

It has a chance, but IMO, a small chance now, so I agree, I don't think it will. 700M will be a struggle too IMO. The legs from those first 24 markets last week were not that great. We'll see how the legs are in the markets that opened this week.

300M domestic or slightly more. And base on my projection (which are all pretty optimistic in some countries) I see about 415-420M OS.

MoS 2 = $1B WW

Not sure about that, not every sequel increase, whether it's domestic or OS. Case in point, Spider Man 2, which is also regarded as the best Raimi's Spidey. But it definitely has a good chance. 

Edited by Sam

Man of Steel continued to rule over the international box office in its second weekend, despite competition from Monsters University and World War Z.

Warner Bros.’ 3D reboot added $89m from its 52 markets, with nearly 12m admissions from over 18,800 screens, bringing it to $188.3m to date.

Among the notable debuts were a $25.5m opening in China from roughly 5,631 screens, as well as number one debuts in the likes of France ($8.2m from 862 screens) and Spain ($4.4m from 749 screens).

It continued to hold top spot in the UK with an estimated $8.2m second weekend for $33.5m after ten days in play, and also added $3.8m and $2.9m in Mexico and Korea, respectively.

After just two weeks in play, it is now the highest grossing Warner Bros release of all time in The Philippines at $8.1m.

Opening weekend in 25 markets was 39% better than The Dark Knight which grossed nearly 470m overseas. 

And Man of Steel is making a lot more in China. It cant be that low. 

Even with bad drops I cant see less than 320-330m from the current markets. 

+ Scandinavia, Australia, Brazil and Japan. 

Doesn't matter whether it can pass TASM really. 400M+ OS is mighty fine for a reboot. MOS is also doing better than TASM domestically, so everything's good.

Edited by Sam

While I really like the scifi angle in MoS, some foreign market doesn't seem too enthused about it.

Look at STID, OBLIVION & AE - all underwhelming grosses. AVATAR & TF series seem to be the 

anomaly since these are basically heavy duty action movies with easy to understand concepts.

The biggest surprise is China. I never for once take Chinese audience for a bunch of scifi fans. I mean

look at the gross for STID. Paramount should make a deal for WWZ. That one should do massive

business.

• Like 1

Like I said before several times I was expecting a 270-300 OS for MOS, but this film's opening weekend really surprised me (in a very good way!). I think doubling SR's take (191 mill) overseas would be an incredible victory and a 600 WW would also be an incredible victory (I thought 500-520 mill WW would be the max).

Excel you really still think that MOS can do 300 domestic, the competition is only gonna get tougher in the coming weeks with WHD and the Heat next week and DM2 and lone ranger the week after. I am now hoping for a 2,3 multiplier for MOS with a final tally of about 280, which would be quite awesome!

It is absolutely doing $300 domestically. WB will keep it in theaters until it does, just like they did with The Hobbit and Sony did with Skyfall. It only needs another $90 million, they will find it. 4th of july in two weeks will help it also. Yeah $700 to me seems locked, I don't know if it can do ASM $752, but it doesn't matter. If it was less WW than what IM1 and 2 did then I would be worried, but that seems like a foregone conclusion.