Fullbuster

Man of Steel thread OS

Both Iron Man 3 and The Dark Knight Rises have been bigger OS than any Spider-man movie.

Don't you see how wrong this comparison is? The Dark Knight Rises came after 2 movies and the begining of the franchise was very modest. Iron Man 3 is only there because of The Avengers, Robert Downey Jr. and also 2 previous movies. Also, Spider Man wasn't 3D. Any of them.

You guys thinking MOS would make Iron Man 3's numbers was just laughable. You guys seem not to have the slightest idea of the geek world. Of course, wasn't as laughable as your predictions for Star Trek Into Darkness, but it still made me laugh for a while.

Now, understand this: Marvel's heroes are more appealing than DC's. The Dark Knight series is loved because Batman is the most famous one after Superman and likely the most loved/admired. Thor has absolutely no chance at hitting 1B, neither does Captain America. 

P.S.: Amazing Spider Man wasn't very welcomed in the geek sites and still made more money than any other superhero opening besides Spider Man. Now, what does that tell you?

Edited by Wally

Don't you see how wrong this comparison is? The Dark Knight Rises came after 2 movies and the begining of the franchise was very modest. 

Spiderman had 4 films, but I don't think this is actually important anyway.

Iron Man 3 is only there because of The Avengers, Robert Downey Jr. and also 2 previous movies.

Those are not reasons for Iron Man not being popular, those are the reasons that made him popular.

Also, Spider Man wasn't 3D. Any of them.

The last one was, it's Batman that was never in 3D.

Spiderman had 4 films, but I don't think this is actually important anyway.

Those are not reasons for Iron Man not being popular, those are the reasons that made him popular.

The last one was, it's Batman that was never in 3D.

Amazing Spider Man is a reboot from a beloved series, do you REALLY think that makes no difference?

About Iron Man: It had a KILLER marketing and he was made popular after the first two movies. Man of Steel did 670M WW so far, which is bigger than Iron Man 1 and 2.

just because Superman is iconic doesn't mean he is POPULAR. Even the original Superman movie from 78 is not the most attended superhero movie

Not the most, but it is up there in the big league, more than IM3 for example, about what TDKR did.

wasn't as laughable as your predictions for Star Trek Into Darkness, but it still made me laugh for a while.

sorry, but you know nothing about Box Office, now it's easy to point STiD mistakes, but before the release was more than logical predict a big increase to STiD.

Amazing Spider Man is a reboot from a beloved series, do you REALLY think that makes no difference?

You originally claimed that Spiderman is the biggest OS superhero, it was pointed out that there have been bigger superhero films OS than spiderman (any Spiderman film). I'm not sure what you are trying to argue here any more.

About Iron Man: It had a KILLER marketing and he was made popular after the first two movies. Man of Steel did 670M WW so far, which is bigger than Iron Man 1 and 2.

Obviously IM was a nobody before 2008, and has only become a known character lately, nobody is arguing otherwise.When I talk about popularity I'm referring to the present.

Don't you see how wrong this comparison is? The Dark Knight Rises came after 2 movies and the begining of the franchise was very modest. Iron Man 3 is only there because of The Avengers, Robert Downey Jr. and also 2 previous movies. Also, Spider Man wasn't 3D. Any of them.

You guys thinking MOS would make Iron Man 3's numbers was just laughable. You guys seem not to have the slightest idea of the geek world. Of course, wasn't as laughable as your predictions for Star Trek Into Darkness, but it still made me laugh for a while.

Now, understand this: Marvel's heroes are more appealing than DC's. The Dark Knight series is loved because Batman is the most famous one after Superman and likely the most loved/admired. Thor has absolutely no chance at hitting 1B, neither does Captain America. 

P.S.: Amazing Spider Man wasn't very welcomed in the geek sites and still made more money than any other superhero opening besides Spider Man. Now, what does that tell you?

Yes. SM1 beat Batman Begins, but both TDK and TDKR beat SM2 and SM3. I think that is a fair comparison.

I do not remember nobody saying MoS would challenge IM3 numbers. For reference, this was my first prediction:

Although I would like it could top TASM, I am out. I think domestically it can go over TASM, maybe close to 300 (275-290), but I do not see this making some close to 500 OS. 300-350. So about 575-640 WW, what I think it would be a quite good result.

Edit: My prediction is 600 WW

After that and seeing new great trailers I changed it. Seeing the massive destruction I thought it could attract people as Avengers did. I set my prediction in something like 320 DOM / 800 WW. I should have kept my early prediction...

Concerning Star Trek, I thought it would do better domestically, but not much better OS. I had it doubling first part (about 250 OS). I agree there have been some excessive predictions, but that has not been my case.

And concerning appealing of Marvel characters, is undoubtable that Spider-man has a lot. TASM is a good proof of that, but talking about MCU, no movie before Avengers has made outstanding numbers. Biggest MCU movie before Avengers was IM2 (623 WW) and it already was a sequel. I agree that Thor 2 will not touch billion (I have it at 800). And of course, Captain America will be far of that. I have it at 500s.

I don't think it's particularly disappointing, just expected and average. But if you are going to mention the films it made more than, I can mention those it made less than: Avengers, IM3, TDKR, TDK, Spiderman 1, 2, 3 and TASM. doing that isn't disappointing if you compare it to SR, but it is if you think of Superman as an A grade superhero. It's just a matter of which perspective you are coming from.

Why do you compare it to an ensemble, 2nd and 3rd movies in a series?

Why do you compare it to an ensemble, 2nd and 3rd movies in a series?

I compared it to big superhero films, and if Superman is considered an a-list superhero that is what it should be compared to. But Spiderman isn't a sequel and TASM is also a reboot, and it made less than those as as well.