CJohn

Oblivion OS thread

What do you call the success of TA? It's a movie about a guy who shoots thunderbolt from his hammer, a guy with a power plant in his chest, a guy who turns green & smash things up, and another guy who opens a portal so that a giant worm can fly through it and wreaks havoc in NYC...

I get what you're saying, but I think most people differentiate between superhero movies and scifi as genres.

• Like 1

It just shows people OS dont like sci-fi that much.

Because of two films? One of which is part of a franchise that was never popular OS, and another which is making over two thirds of its money OS. And this is after sci-fi films have been doing fine OS for years.

• Like 1

Well, AVATAR is a full blown scifi. IM is in a way a scifi (The US military actually has a functioning Iron Man suit though not as sexy as Tony Stark design). OBLIVION is scifi but the thoughtful pacing has audience sighing in boredom. This is a movie for hardcore scifi fans who would acknowledge the references to other science fictions. Problem is OBLIVION is not as thought provoking as DARK CITY or MATRIX. Joe Kosinski should work in a big budget, mass audience platform, not some high profile but neglected movies like this. This guy has shown real talent with only 2 movies under his belt. He needs to be paired with a strong writer.

Edited by zackzack

But its a success...120million project with BO gross of 87million domestic+ 180 OS so overall $267 million

assuming distributor gets 60% of total gross....160.2million share so a 40 miilion profit :) its a gud success considering its talk and worst release date!!!! :)

But its a success...120million project with BO gross of 87million domestic+ 180 OS so overall $267 million

assuming distributor gets 60% of total gross....160.2million share so a 40 miilion profit :) its a gud success considering its talk and worst release date!!!! :)

With Prints and Advertising the entire budget is closer to $165m which means that, by conventional box office standards, it would need to gross double that to get into the black during its theatrical run. I am sure it will break even after all home video/TV sales, but I really wish this did better. 

Marketing focused too much on mystery and Cruise wandering a desolate world, which I personally loved but the majority of today's audiences are morons who want non-stop CGI action.  They should have cut an epic action trailer. 

Still for this type of still it did well. Post-apoc movies traditionally haven't done gangbusters at the box office - there have been more disaster stories than success stories. 

With Prints and Advertising the entire budget is closer to $165m which means that, by conventional box office standards, it would need to gross double that to get into the black during its theatrical run. I am sure it will break even after all home video/TV sales, but I really wish this did better. 

There's no way Universal only spent $45 million on the global marketing and distribution for a $120 million Tom Cruise film.