A Marvel Fanboy

Monsters University OS (Settling for fine 480M OS total)

Cinema Sunshine's Top 5 films from this past weekend has been edited in the above post. And I also included United Cinemas. They report their Top 3 films irregularly, so I normally don't post them.Weekend Estimates were released last night, including for the long 3-day holiday weekend, but there are so many variables to take into account (Discount Day at Toho Cinemas on Sunday, Men's Day at some Movix Cinemas on Monday, Aeon Cinemas first weekend since acquiring Warner Mycal Cinemas, and of course the holiday on Monday) that I'm going to refrain from posting them this week. Chances are very high that many would be pretty far off from actuals.I will say though that they have Monsters University posting a sub-15% second weekend drop beating Pokemon by ~11% in admissions (tough to say how much in gross with so many factors). Summer vacation isn't even here yet (last day of school is this Friday), so I think it's going to be targeting ¥7 billion+ ($70 million+)

Thanks to Corpse. Great weekend for MU.  :wub:

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55322&sid=ae642c08be56376243ef8df00e072173&start=3825

What happens to the MADAGASCAR & ICE AGE of 2012?

This is the summer of The Mediocre with the exception of IM3

IM3 as the TA effect, a blessing to itself but a curse to the

rest of summer offerings...

:(

Edited by zackzack

What happens to the MADAGASCAR & ICE AGE of 2012?

This is the summer of The Mediocre with the exception of IM3

IM3 as the TA effect, a blessing to itself but a curse to the

rest of summer offerings...

:(

I expect DM2 to make more than Madagascar 3, and Smurfs 2 might do the same, but Ice Age is at another level.

I expect DM2 to make more than Madagascar 3, and Smurfs 2 might do the same, but Ice Age is at another level.

I don't get ICE AGE insane OS performance. Its story is not as strong as Dreamworks; its animation not as inventive as Illumination.

Its story is cliched with National Geographic stuffing. Its voice acting is annoying. 

I don't get ICE AGE insane OS performance. Its story is not as strong as Dreamworks; its animation not as inventive as Illumination.

Its story is cliched with National Geographic stuffing. Its voice acting is annoying. 

In 1 pic :

Posted Image

• Like 5

In 1 pic :

Posted Image

This dude cannot be the whole show !!

$600-$700M OS consistently!??

Everybody's raving about how the Minions

stole the show in DM2. But I think they

predominate in DM1 much more than in DM2. 

Edited by zackzack

This dude cannot be the whole show !!

$600-$700M OS consistently!??

Everybody's raving about how the Minions

stole the show in DM2. But I think they

predominate in DM1 much more than in DM2. 

I got annoyed by the minions. On the other hand I really like Scrat.

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of the Ice Age series  :ph34r: I think I only watched the first one entirely. It's just okay for me. The two sequels I caught bits here and there on TV. Haven't seen anything of IA4. The concept, animation, execution, etc... are just not my cup of tea I guess. Scrat is pretty cute though. 

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

I think it's some kind of mass hysteria in which people don't understand why they do something but they keep doing it anyway.

Edited by JohnnY

Disney seriously needs to evaluate its marketing strategy in The Netherlands.

Opening in 5th place is completely unacceptable. I get that the weather is great and people are on vacation, so it was never going to make a lot of money.... But opening in 5th place while Despicable Me 2 repeats at #1 making three times as much? That's a failure of epic proportions.

Disney's last somewhat successful film here at this point was Cars 2 which is embarrassing. Everything since then has underwhelmed.

I agree that Ice Age is not a very good franchise. I have only seen the two first movies and I did not like too much. But Scrat is one of the best characters ever. And he gets it being mute.

Scrat is the reason people go see the ICE AGE movies but a Scrat spin-off or a Minion movie will not be as big as the main movies. Case in point PUSS IN BOOTS versus SHREK movies.

I think it is human nature: gotta have the burger with the buns or else it won't be a burger.

Edited by zackzack

Scrat is the reason people go see the ICE AGE movies but a Scrat spin-off or a Minion movie will not be as big as the main movies. Case in point PUSS IN BOOTS versus SHREK movies.

I think it is human nature: gotta have the burger with the buns or else it won't be a burger.

Agree. A 90 minutes Scart movie would be difficult to sell. The 10-15 minutes dose is enough.

However, we must remember that whereas Puss in Boots was not as big as Shrek domestically, in OS markets it was in the same league: Shrek 2 (478 million), Shrek 3 (476), Shrek 4 (513), Puss in Boots (405). And in some big markets like Russia, Germany, Spain, Italy or Japan Puss in Boots was as big as Shrek.

• Like 1

Agree. A 90 minutes Scart movie would be difficult to sell. The 10-15 minutes dose is enough.

However, we must remember that whereas Puss in Boots was not as big as Shrek domestically, in OS markets it was in the same league: Shrek 2 (478 million), Shrek 3 (476), Shrek 4 (513), Puss in Boots (405). And in some big markets like Russia, Germany, Spain, Italy or Japan Puss in Boots was as big as Shrek.

Good point all around!