iceroll

Catching Fire OS Thread || 438m

Given how Hollywood movies has been underperfoming internationally this year (so far), now I think 500m seems too hard. Somewhere  in the 400m range seems more realistic.

Not all have underperformed. Obviously IM3 soared, FF6 got almost 550M OS, Despicable Me 2 got 477M, Monsters 462M. There have been dissapointments, but there have been some nice gains as well. I think CF can get to 500M seeing some of these movies get there.

Even that 550m FF6 number is kinda disappointing to me ... originally thought 700m was possible. Seems 700m os in summer for a 2D movie is still undoable for now. 2D movies do can get to 700m+ in winter with holiday legs though.

Beside IM3, only FF6 did more than 500m this year to date. That's not good. It has been analyzed that this year international box office for Hollywood films overally are running about 15~20% behind previous two years, about on par with 2010 or slightly better. Still, MU and DM2 both should have done 500m+ by 2010 standard (Shrek 4 and TS3).

The remaining 500m+ os candiates this year only have Thor 2, CF and Hobbit 2. Except Hobbit, the other two are no lock frankly.

• Like 1

Even that 550m FF6 number is kinda disappointing to me ... originally thought 700m was possible. Seems 700m os in summer for a 2D movie is still undoable for now. 2D movies do can get to 700m+ in winter with holiday legs though.

Beside IM3, only FF6 did more than 500m this year to date. That's not good. It has been analyzed that this year international box office for Hollywood films overally are running about 15~20% behind previous two years, about on par with 2010 or slightly better. Still, MU and DM2 both should have done 500m+ by 2010 standard (Shrek 4 and TS3).

The remaining 500m+ os candiates this year only have Thor 2, CF and Hobbit 2. Except Hobbit, the other two are no lock frankly.

I was fine with 550M for FF6 personally, though I don't know what the experts thought it was going to do. Perhaps the flip side to not many movies making 500M OS will be that maybe people are saving their money for the big movies come Fall? Just a theory. The one summer movie that was the biggest dissapointment for me OS wise was MoS. I thought Superman being a huge icon figure would have brought in way more than 370M.

I think Thor2, CF, and Hobbit could all make 500M this Fall OS. Hobbit being the most likely, then Thor2 from the Avengers effect and it being 3D, and then CF.

LOL

You really think those analysts are better at predicting than members of our forums?

No, that's not what I'm saying. It those articles, along with my own feelings, that this OS could really break out. Lionsgate put a lot of effort in marketing for this film vs the first one. Europe will bring big numbers (specifically Britain, France, and possibly Portugal). Brazil it's said to be big there. The only ones up for debate and probably won't be huge numbers are Japan and possibly China.

No, that's not what I'm saying. It those articles, along with my own feelings, that this OS could really break out. Lionsgate put a lot of effort in marketing for this film vs the first one. Europe will bring big numbers (specifically Britain, France, and possibly Portugal). Brazil it's said to be big there. The only ones up for debate and probably won't be huge numbers are Japan and possibly China.

Those analysts usually overpredict.

Goffe: 385m

The Joker: 390m

Ent: 390m

JCS: 400m+

Jam90: 420m

Halba: 420m

Olive: 450m

Marlon Brando: 450mGodzilla: 450m

Tower: 450m

Juby 460m

Leyla: 460m