iceroll

Les Miserables OS Thread

Les Miserables dates Feb 28.

Les Mis will be released in China Feb 26th! That's great news.

Hi, can please someone verify which of those two dates is

the correct one? Or where could I read it for myself? As the date for

China isn't listed within the IMDb table I do not know where else to find

release details (especially China's).

Over at Mojo something very strange happened in LM's Foreign - By Country table:

New Zealand's Total Cross numbers are less as the Opening Weekend numbers :blink: .

Total Cross should be ~ $3 million, not $280,277 :mailboxsend:

Hi, can please someone verify which of those two dates is

the correct one? Or where could I read it for myself? As the date for

China isn't listed within the IMDb table I do not know where else to find

release details (especially China's).

Over at Mojo something very strange happened in LM's Foreign - By Country table:

New Zealand's Total Cross numbers are less as the Opening Weekend numbers :blink: .

Total Cross should be ~ $3 million, not $280,277 :mailboxsend:

Les mis will release on the 28

Mojo actually has the right number on the New Zealand page, but they do make screw ups like this from time to time.

Les mis will release on the 28

Mojo actually has the right number on the New Zealand page, but they do make screw ups like this from time to time.

Thank You very much.

Funny - the opening weekend'spercetage is more/higher than the possible 100% of the totals (237.9%), if something like that happens repeatedly they might want to add a blocking software detail.

Not meant as bickering, for me it is literally funny.

Someone should do Gross Revenue by Continent. Would it be great if we know certain movie or genre would do better in certain region? Action movies usually do better in Asia but hit-or-miss in Europe. Romantic comedies might do amazing business in English-speaking countries but probably do poorly in Asia or Middle East etc. I am surprised MISERABLES did so well in some Asian countries. Bombing in China is kinda expected.

Anyone cares to share a theory why a film about French history bombed in France? I couldn't get alternative source of French box office revenue for the movie other than Mojo, and Mojo shows a revenue of $1.5 million (seriously?) from France after 2 weekends?

By comparison, DJANGO UNCHAINED, a film about a black hero gleefully killing white people left & right as he calls them "Boy!" made $16 million after 2 weekends. Must be the onslaught of third world immigrants that are overcrowding France. 

Edited by zackzack

Anyone cares to share a theory why a film about French history bombed in France? I couldn't get alternative source of French box office revenue for the movie other than Mojo, and Mojo shows a revenue of $1.5 million (seriously?) from France after 2 weekends?

I'm just as baffled as you are dude.  Same with Germany's performance, I expected waaaay more from these two countries.

I'm just as baffled as you are dude.  Same with Germany's performance, I expected waaaay more from these two countries.

They want their croissants to be made by French bakers, their wine made by their winemaker, and LES MIS made by French director and French actors . That is one theory. Or maybe they are just sick of their own history & tradition. 

In addition to zackzack's post....

I think it might have several reasons:

The French's expectations:

- the critics seem to not expect it to be a musical at all (didn't care to inform themselves beforehand) and were a 'bit' surprised whilst sitting in the cinemas (no joke, at least counting for some of the most prestigious critics!)

- the musical version is not that well known there as it is in UK / USA / Japan,...

- they also didn't expect it to be based on the musical with it's changed main focus (in France nearly all pupils have to read in the books or the complete book(s), so they might be sick of it too, see zackzack's post)

- they clearly didn't expect it to be in English, see some of the articles / posts...

A statement I very often heard whilst being there (I speak a bit English, but no French at all beside the basic words like water, bread, ham, and, butter...) and had always a lot of 'fun' to find someone who was willing to speak in English to me e.g in a supermarket:

we are also a world nation (La Grand Nation) = world language, why should we learn/use another world language

=> don't forget, it is the country who was/is so irritated with/about the English influence, it developed (also uses and sells/sold? it to African nations) its own French based Software and throws/throw? e.g. radio DJ's in jail who play more than 3 or 4 non-French songs in a row. Not meant as an insult to France, only that there is a special version of culture that might hinder the succes of an English sung musical

France and Germany have one thing in common:

- not really used to subtitled movies, TV-Series,....

In a lot of countries it was for many years usus to subtitle English spoken movies or TV-Series. If you ever tried to find an episode of a tv-series in the net, you might have found some of them. Scandinavian countries, Netherland,... tend to subtitle, in many countries where bootlegged DVDs are common the ppl got used to subtitles too.

In addition:

I do not know anyone here in Germany, who would watch a 'happy' musical, I am still surprised about the German numbers of Mamma Mia (might have to do with a big song hit in the 70ties we had here, Abba was big here and a 'neighbor), but still do not know anyone who has 'confessed' to have seen it. Be aware, my circle of friends doesn't count as typical here.

Les Miserables is considerable more dark, not what those who watched Mamma Mia might want to see. Strangely I know a few male teens (16 years old) who want to watch it and one woman beside myself. We all still have to go, so 'our' money is still missing in the box office numbers ;) .

The books are known here, but probably less well known than they seem to be in other countries, especially the younger ones here seem to not even know the title (btw, here the title of the book is known in its translated version 'Die Elenden', the movie / musical's title wasn't translated too, IMHO a big mistake)

Edited by terrestrial