CJohn

Frozen OS thread

So, even taking off SK it still made double figures from old holdovers. I think the 15m I was using for those markets for the remainder of it's run is low now. 1B is looking more and more likely. :D

You are right, $15 M. more only in Europe! 1 Billion is just around the corner now, even if it doesn't excel in China

Frozen passed the $800 million global mark this weekend after taking another $20.2 million from 52 territories. Frozen is the tenth Disney release to hit the $800 million global milestone and is currently reporting a $462.5 million overseas total and $810.3 million global cume.

The animated film took a record debut from South Korea last weekend, where it registered the biggest opening for a Disney or Pixar film of all time. Second weekend grosses in South Korea jumped 20% to bring its local cume up to a strong $22.6 million after only ten days in release. Frozen is now the highest grossing animated release of all time in South Korea for Disney. Frozen is also the biggest animated release of all time for the studio in Denmark, where the film has grossed a total of $6.6 million.

The top markets for Frozen include the United Kingdom ($57.7M), Germany ($45M), France ($41.2M), Russia ($32.9M), Australia ($27.9M), Italy ($26.6M), Mexico ($24.5M), South Korea ($22.6M), and Spain ($20.3M).

Frozen has an outside shot at reaching the $1 billion mark if it can pull in big audiences in China on February 5 and Japan on March 15.

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2014-01-26-global-frozen-breaks-800m-i-frankenstein-opens-strong-in-russia

1 bil is possible: it's going to close at 370-75 mln DOM. It would need 630 mln OS. It has made 36 mln OS in the last 7 days: it it loses an average of 33% from now on it will make another 70 mln in these markets (462+70=532 mln).

Japan loves animation (See MU performance - 90 mln) e China has just added almost 50 mln for DM2.

IMO, it will reach it.

1 bil is possible: it's going to close at 370-75 mln DOM. It would need 630 mln OS. It has made 36 mln OS in the last 7 days: it it loses an average of 33% from now on it will make another 70 mln in these markets (462+70=532 mln).

Japan loves animation (See MU performance - 90 mln) e China has just added almost 50 mln for DM2.

IMO, it will reach it.

FROZEN may hit $400M, or at least $385M. Last weekend, it still pulled in more than $9 mill 

I see it making $900 million. And $1 billion is achievable.

Bizarre run.

It would be difficult for it to only make 900 million at this point. Just based on the current markets, the US and Korea alone will probably add another 60 million. 900 would mean that in all other cases, including Japan, China, and Sweden, it would only earn another 30 million.

It may not make 1B, but 900 is pretty much a guarantee.

It would be difficult for it to only make 900 million at this point. Just based on the current markets, the US and Korea alone will probably add another 60 million. 900 would mean that in all other cases, including Japan, China, and Sweden, it would only earn another 30 million.

It may not make 1B, but 900 is pretty much a guarantee.

It was a typo, I meant $400 million domestic with 1 billion achievable.

I agree $900 million is a lock.

Frozen would make 42m more in USA if it played out like Tangled. Accounting for the expansion, 50m is defn doable. It had 20m weekend OS, so 60m more in current territories give it a WW total of 810 + 50 + 60 = 920m.

It would need 80m in China and Japan combined to make 1 billion, which now looking at South Korea, seems achievable.

Tangled made 9m in South Korea. Frozen is already on 22.6m after 2 weekends.

Tangled had 31m in Japan. So a similar, if not the same, growth would make 1 billion easy.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Frozen would make 42m more in USA if it played out like Tangled. Accounting for the expansion, 50m is defn doable. It had 20m weekend OS, so 60m more in current territories give it a WW total of 810 + 50 + 60 = 920m.It would need 80m in China and Japan combined to make 1 billion, which now looking at South Korea, seems achievable. Tangled made 9m in South Korea. Frozen is already on 22.6m after 2 weekends.Tangled had 31m in Japan. So a similar, if not the same, growth would make 1 billion easy.

I totally agree! It is doable: 920 + 10 in Sweden + 30 in China + 40 in Japan = 1 billion

I seriously can't believe we're now talking a billion as pretty much a happening thing.Original animation making a billion. Damn.

Talk about setting the bar high. The next few Disney releases will inevitably be compared to Frozen, and doing 200m+ domestic and 400m+ overseas (Tangled level numbers) will be seen as "disappointing".

Honestly, looking at Disney's list of upcoming movies the next few years I don't see anything with the potential to come close to Frozen, but 500-600m worldwide certainly seems like a doable range for some of them.