CJohn

Frozen OS thread

109 Movie chains:

Yesterday:2398

Today: 5042

KINEZO

Yesterday:1780

Today:  3482

Not only TOHO, every chian increase 100% from yesterday.

I assume this is Frozen showings?

That's amazing that they can expand that fast.

Maybe Corpse will correct me, but doubling Tue's admissions is relatively normal on Ladies Day and with discounted tickets for a movie whose audience is 70% women. The actual gross will be more restrained.

Maybe Corpse will correct me, but doubling Tue's admissions is relatively normal on Ladies Day and with discounted tickets for a movie whose audience is 70% women. The actual gross will be more restrained.

I don't know, I don't see a lot of 100% increase on Ladies Day, even for female-oriented movies. Especially when Monday & Tuesday were already great. But maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by catlover

Btw Tangled will be aired for the first time tonight in Japan. During the commercials (or after the broadcast, I'm not sure), they will show 7 minutes of Frozen. I think it will boost its weekend number.

Sounds like good marketing! Tangled rose in popularity over here after the release of frozen which is ironic since it flopped pretty hard during it's release. Hopefully Japan can see some of that synergy effect :P

Sounds like it could be 200k admission day. $2m  shaping up to be $9m week w holiday friday.B

But today is a Ladies day. Women can spend 1000 yen (was 1300 ) to buy a ticket.

So, I think $ 1.5 will be a more realistic assumption.

I was pricing that in. 200k adm at $10. 2m

TOHO opens a new theater in TOKYO.

I check its screening schedule, finding that on Friday (national holiday )this theater will give Frozen eight showtimes

from 9:00 am to 2:30 am (midnight). In this theater, Frozen will be played in the form of 3D with highest audio equipment.

• Like 1

Sweden numbers updated again to include March 14-16 weekend.

After dropping from the #1 spot it held for 5 weeks to #3 2 weeks ago with a -56% drop, it rebounded with a -14.4% drop to $224,364 for the #4 spot in it's 7th weekend.

Total now stands at $8,959,523. 10m still possible, as long as it plays a few more weeks with similar holds.

For some reason I thought Tangled did 9.1m in Sweden and was about to say Frozen will pass it next weekend, but I just checked and Tangled did 8.136m. so Frozen actually passed it 3 weekends ago.

Just noticed Frozen is the #1 movie in Sweden for 2014 so far (not really surprising)

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/sweden/yearly/

Edited by Incarnadine
  • Like 1

‘Frozen’ Sells 3.2 Million DVD, Blu-ray Discs in One Day

Variety.com report that the DVD and Blu-Ray release of Frozen, based on pre-sales alone, is already the best selling animated and kid's title ever (since 2001) on Amazon.com.

Edited by edroger
  • Like 1

Corpse about Frozen's Wed in Japan:

It's normal. Ladies Day is every Wednesday and is thus the strongest weekday. For films that skew heavily female (70, 80, 90%+), Wednesdays can sometimes be bigger than Saturday or Sunday, too.I was at the box-office forums yesterday and saw someone saying Frozen is crushing Doraemon so far this week. That's true, but Doraemon always has horrible weekdays because it targets primarily children. Until Spring Break begins (where it's weekdays will be WAY higher than it's weekend admissions), it'll only be doing 20-25% of it's business over the weekdays vs. the ~50% or so for everything else.

Doraemon targets 10 and under.  Wait until Spring Break (end of the school year in Japan) begins and you'll see it's weekday admissions grow to 4/5x the current amount.

Frozen is attracting a much older audience.  It's avg. ticket price is about 1,267 now (2% above the nation's average), which is almost 12% higher than Doraemon's avg. ticket price of 1,123 yen (10% below the nation's average).  And 3D isn't much of a factor here considering how low the share is, if it account for anything, it's only for that 2%.

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 4