Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

its only 10 am here...The AVX and IMAX shows are very busy and all full.However what happened yesterday they were all full yesterday but the normal shows were lacking...Baumer, did you get a feeling theaters were nowhere near as busy as past record openers on Friday in the Toronto area?

As soon as I returned Friday morning from trilogy and read the reports and watched the news I said this could drop as low as $150-160m ow...and it very well could off a $70-75m ow. People who are saying the shooting isn't negatively effecting things are crazy...it's already hurting its gross significantly, and it's only been one day. The midnight number is the only number we'll ever be able to base what could have been off of. The drops today and tomorrow will sadly be poor I'm afraid.TDKR will forever be linked to the horrible massacre and tragedy and that's a damn shame. And no, things like this do not happen every day as some are trying to brush this off as...this is columbine territory and that happened what, 13 years ago and is still remembered today.

• Like 4

How do you explain SM3's OW? Was it goodwill from SM2? TDKR undoubtedly had a huge asset in TDK goodwill and that hasn't materialised, and I think it's fair to blame the shooting.

SM2 opened in June, SM3 in May, difficult to compare.TDKR will open bigger than TDK, i don't get the upset.Some people had unrealistic expectations. 3D added about $30m to TA's weekend, that's very hard to make up for when OWs are already so high, not that much room to grow.
  • Like 2

its only 10 am here...The AVX and IMAX shows are very busy and all full.However what happened yesterday they were all full yesterday but the normal shows were lacking...Baumer, did you get a feeling theaters were nowhere near as busy as past record openers on Friday in the Toronto area?

Yes.My reserved seating show did not sell out at SQ1. The IMAX's are sold out until Monday but all evening shows were busy but not all of them sold out. Strange.

Friday Day busines was just not good at all in Canada.

At my theater in comparison it had 3-4 sellouts to TA 9-10.

It appears the film did badly in middle America and in Canada.

I'm thinking this too. Canada did poorly, because Batman is not popular there. Middle America stayed home because of shooting. On the other hand, Manhattan had more sellouts compared to Avengers.

Strange Baumer, we in Canada usually do not get paranoid.Did the shooting have an effect or was it silly to expect it to come close to TA here in Canada?"m thinking this too. Canada did poorly, because Batman is not popular there."Yes and noSpider Man is the all time champ here by far making around 52 million in 2002, TDK made around 51 million in 2008.TDK did not break Spider Man 3 opening weekend record but destroyed it in total gross.10.8 weekend vs 12+ million, total was 52 million to 33 million or soTA is a big unknown but it likley made close to 60 million.

Edited by Lordmandeep

SM2 opened in June, SM3 in May, difficult to compare.

The goodwill from SM2 led to SM3 breaking the OW record. Surely it wasn't unrealistic to expect the goodwill from TDK to carry over significantly for TDKR. It's going to barely sell more tickets if at all.

After $31 million midnights that $77 million opening day was CLEARLY affected by yesterday's tragic events. We're analysts on here who are pretty good at forecasts. This is THE most obvious analysis of a day's performance at the box office I've ever had to do - and I hope you regulars on here will agree with me. The last movie (one of the most loved and biggest movies of all time) had its midnight record nearly doubled by the sequel. Then come the end of the day finished only $10 million higher than the previous film's opening day. This being by far the most anticipated film of the summer, if not year. I have spoken to people at work today who told me they were going to go see the movie last night but didn't as they didn't feel like it was appropriate. Millions are going to feel like this! I'm not saying the vast majority haven't gone anyway, but for those that aren't super fans - well I understand them now not feeling the rush of wanting to see it after the heartbreak of yesterday. Make no mistake, this movie will have a bizarre trend now where it will probably have an amazing hold next weekend. Anything over $150 million will be fantastic for it considering the circumstances. Ultimately it doesn't matter of course, and I am still 24 hours on, numb from the shock. Seeing front pages of newspapers that looked like something a Gotham paper would print in the stories. The tragedy will have an impact but the movie will rise above it.

• Like 7

Because it happened at BATMAN...

Wow....

It happened in a MOVIE THEATER!!!! Are you really so obtuse to believe people wouldn't stay away from the entire complex to avoid being anywhere near? THINK! Those drops will tell the story.

Edited by Maverikk

Strange Baumer, we in Canada usually do not get paranoid.Did the shooting have an effect or was it silly to expect it to come close to TA here in Canada?"m thinking this too. Canada did poorly, because Batman is not popular there."Yes and noSpider Man is the all time champ here by far making around 52 million in 2002, TDK made around 51 million in 2008.TDK did not break Spider Man 3 opening weekend record but destroyed it in total gross.10.8 weekend vs 12+ million, total was 52 million to 33 million or soTA is a big unknown but it likley made close to 60 million.

TDK was huge here. I don't think people were paranoid here. I really don't. IMHO, I really think that the Joker and Heath's death was the pinnacle of the series and then the interest went down, not a ton of course, but it did.

TDK was beaten by Potter in Canada. What's more there is to say?

After $31 million midnights that $77 million opening day was CLEARLY affected by yesterday's tragic events.We're analysts on here who are pretty good at forecasts. This is THE most obvious analysis of a day's performance at the box office I've ever had to do - and I hope you regulars on here will agree with me.The last movie (one of the most loved and biggest movies of all time) had its midnight record nearly doubled by the sequel. Then come the end of the day finished only $10 million higher than the previous film's opening day.This being by far the most anticipated film of the summer, if not year.I have spoken to people at work today who told me they were going to go see the movie last night but didn't as they didn't feel like it was appropriate. Millions are going to feel like this! I'm not saying the vast majority haven't gone anyway, but for those that aren't super fans - well I understand them now not feeling the rush of wanting to see it after the heartbreak of yesterday.Make no mistake, this movie will have a bizarre trend now where it will probably have an amazing hold next weekend.Anything over $150 million will be fantastic for it considering the circumstances.Ultimately it doesn't matter of course, and I am still 24 hours on, numb from the shock. Seeing front pages of newspapers that looked like something a Gotham paper would print in the stories.The tragedy will have an impact but the movie will rise above it.

Great post and I agree with it to a point. But there was also a lack of interest due to no joker and no death of Heath. That also can't be over looked.

Didn't the turnout drop off more during the evening on Friday? At least that's what I heard. There may have been a chance that people were more scared to go to the theaters at night than during the day.

Very likely.Or also because some people didnt get the news until later Friday.