Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

I think RTHs latest update shows a few things.#1- The effect of the shooting may have an effect, but it appears to be a pretty minor one#2- TDKR is simply underperforming expectations#3- Heath Ledger's death had not as much impact on TDKs gross as haters would have us believe#4- People simply overestimated TDKRs capabalitiesI certainly got burnt by #4. I way overpredicted for the film, thinking $210m. I thought we'd even see a ridiculous hold (strong increase minus midnights from Fri to offset lost business from the tragedy etc), but I don't think that's really the case any more.Finally, I find none of this important this weekend. What a messed up weekend.

If 177 holds, it would barely be above the 170 WB was planning for.

My friend in Philly just texted me that they were searching all handbags before you entered the theater. They also had extra personnel on hand. Anyone else heard or encountered this? My showing starts in 4 hours, I hope that's not the case.If theater houses go all TSA on us going forward I'll be seeing fewer movies.One nut job, one, let's not freak out. We have to keep living our lives.

Wait, seriously? Do they even know how the shooting occurred? The guy literally walked into the theater with no weapons. It wasn't until he walked out the BACK exit of the auditorium to go get his stuff when the tragedy happened.Just put a couple security guards by the back exits, maybe one here or there around the theater and you are fine. This is not an airport. Edited by superduperm

Big news!Big numbers!Not counting Ocean franchise, Soderbergh didn't make 100M since...Traffic!

It's funny...a year ago, I would have never imagined Channing Tatum to emerge as one of the most bankable actors of the next generation.

1. The Dark Knight Rises (Legendary/Warner Bros) NEW [4,404 Theaters]

Friday $77.2M, Weekend $170M

Under SM3 adjusted is disappointing. BO books won't never forget that.

2. Ice Age 4 (Blue Sky/Fox) Week 2 [3,886 Theaters]

Friday $6.8M (-51%), Weekend $21.6M, Cume $90.1M

Better than first estmates but still way too low to save dom face. 150M is the goal.

3. The Amazing Spider-Man (Columbia/Sony) Week 3 [3,753 Theaters]

Friday $3.3M, Weekend $11.4M, Cume $229.1M

What a fall. Not a lot of reactions here about that one.

Estimated $30.6m midnights, and $72.2m od.The shooting didn't effect the movie, TDK was just huge because of Ledgers death. Fanboys rushed to this, and the general public is interested, but not as much as TDK. Under $50m Saturday, and under $40m Sunday. Weekend will be less then HP7.2. Who would've thunk?

biz is unusually soft so far today for tdkr only imax shows are nearing capacity or selling out {nm} notfabio on Jul 21, 12:09

im sure it will pick up in the evening but it is nowhere near avengers or harry potter part 2 sat biz {nm}

Nowhere near Avengers Saturday business means under 55m. Nowhere near DH2 Saturday business means under 40m. Two very different but still negative things.

Estimated $30.6m midnights, and $72.2m od.

The shooting didn't effect the movie, TDK was just huge because of Ledgers death. Fanboys rushed to this, and the general public is interested, but not as much as TDK.

Under $50m Saturday, and under $40m Sunday.

Weekend will be less then HP7.2. Who would've thunk?

>.<

The shooting didn't effect the movie, TDK was just huge because of Ledgers death. Fanboys rushed to this, and the general public is interested, but not as much as TDK.

Not exactly sure I would say all of TDKs run was huge due to Ledgers death. It did contribute to the OW though. If the movie had turned out to be shit, it would have had legs reflecting that, regardless of who died. Edited by Orestes

You can't say that. The only question is what was the impact? I believe it was minor at this point, and TDKR is just underperforming. But the shooting definitely had an affect of some kind.