Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Fair enough...but the point about IM2 having "bad" WOM is completely false. There was no such thing. The estimates and expectations were simply off.

What social circles have you been hanging out in? I don't mean it in a bad way, just genuinely curious, because I distinctly remember it having bad WOM among everyone.

I'm not wrong any more than you are right. The effect is there, but not to the extent you think it is. The film was over hyped from the beginning. The shooting is just one reason the numbers are down.

If it only does $155-160m ow then that's a huge impact in my book, to the tune of about $25-30m. And the shooting is the only reason. The reasons you are giving would be why its legs and overall dom # would be down, not ow. Edited by FTF
  • Like 1

I disagree with that. Batman was quite loved during its release. But Returns was still able to surpass 89's admissions in OW fairly handily.

BR = $45 mil; B = $40 mil three years prior. I wouldn't call that handily. And the reviews for Batman were good - not great. Certainly not the universal acclaim of TDK.

I would say the nearly 200,000 users on IMDB who voted the film as an average of 7.1 (and undoubtedly higher on OW as is standard) means the film was generally well-liked...if people can point to TDKR's current IMDB score as proof of incredible WOM, I think my inference is valid. I personally thought it was an average film but I don't think that was the general thought.

Liking isn`t enough. It needs love. TA is what it is because people loved it. TDK was what it was because people loved it.

This is a pointless argument if legs turn out to be better because of the deflated OW.

I would say the nearly 200,000 users on IMDB who voted the film as an average of 7.1 (and undoubtedly higher on OW as is standard) means the film was generally well-liked...if people can point to TDKR's current IMDB score as proof of incredible WOM, I think my inference is valid. I personally thought it was an average film but I don't think that was the general thought.

7.1 is very average on IMDB.

Batman certainly was as well received as TDK. I was alive in 89 and remember it well. It kicked the shit out of Last Crusade. Batman Returns even had a record opening weekend when it came out, just like TDKR could of had if the shooting hadn't happened and there was no 3D to contend with. But TDKR is going to experience all the things that Returns did.

Sorry, I thought you were arguing that TDKR was bound to follow the same fate as BR regardless of the shooting or not. Or are you?