Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Not to mention Wheldon's joyous take on the superhero genre is much more friendly toward a wide variety of demographics in comparison to TDKR's dark, adult tone.

Which is why I believe the shooting isn't the only factor keeping families away.

160m is also way less than Spider-Man 3 when adjusted. Really all you saying that numbers like 150-160m are the numbers it was always going to make and only fanboys really though it would be higher are really ridiculous

160m is also way less than Spider-Man 3 when adjusted. Really all you saying that numbers like 150-160m are the numbers it was always going to make and only fanboys really though it would be higher are really ridiculous

I didn't say 150-160 so stop putting words in my mouth. My prediction was always 175-185.

Based on my experience I would say SPIDER-MAN 3 was more hyped than TDKR, so the number seems right.
  • Like 1

it doesn't matter, families were going to see TDKR anyway

And it's declarations like this without any evidence whatsoever that have really irked me today. Yes, some families would have gone to see TDKR. As many as TA? Unlikely, simply due to the very bleak tones of the Batman trilogy and the marketing of the finale in particular. But yes, you are right. It doesn't matter, because you said so. The level of opinionated entitlement on this board today has been infuriating.I was simply stating that TA's lighter tone makes it more family friendly and likely drew a greater range of demographics. You saying the contrary without any sort of support doesn't make it wrong, though you have definitely made it seem like it does. Edited by nAlkaline

The updated numbers show the effect of the shooting:

1. The Dark Knight Rises (Legendary/Warner Bros) NEW [4,404 Theaters]

Friday $77.2M, Weekend $170M

2. Ice Age 4 (Blue Sky/Fox) Week 2 [3,886 Theaters]

Friday $6.8M (-51%), Weekend $21.6M, Cume $90.1M

3. The Amazing Spider-Man (Columbia/Sony) Week 3 [3,753 Theaters]

Friday $3.3M, Weekend $11.4M, Cume $229.1M

4. Ted (MRC/Universal) Week 4 [3,214 Theaters]

Friday $3.1M, Weekend $10.2M, Cume $180.7M

5. Brave (Pixar/Disney) Week 5 [2,899 Theaters]

Friday $1.9M, Weekend $6.5M, Cume $209.3M

6. Magic Mike (Warner Bros) Week 4 [2,606 Theaters]

Friday $1.6M, Weekend $4.3M, Cume $102.1M

7. Savages (Universal) Week 3 [2,336 Theaters]

Friday $986K, Weekend $3.3M, Cume $40.0M

8. Madea’s Witness Protection (TPerry/Lionsgate) Week 4 [1,540 Theaters]

Friday $744K, Weekend $2.2M, Cume $60.3M

9. Moonrise Kingdom (Focus Features) Week 9 [895 Theaters]

Friday $551K, Weekend $1.9M, Cume $36.2M

10. Madagascar 3 (DreamWorks Anim/Par) Week 7 [1,261 Theaters]

Friday $447K, Weekend $1.5M, Cume $207.8M

As someone who doesn't care much about TDK franchise, I have to say that the shooting definitely had a negative effect on its box office, and to a lesser extent other movies. Of course the fans will watch it, but those who were simply curious might either pass or wait until the crowds get smaller in a few weeks. I expect the movie to even go lower from the current weekend predictions.

I am watching a newsreport on the tragedy and the media is having a lot to do with people fearing going into theaters on OW. My mom just told me that I should just wait to see movies a week afterwards. Sure it's really sad but it could have happened everywhere. I guess that's why people are not going. I just know that people in this site will say that it had no effect on the movie box office since their expectations were really high, but it will have an impact on every movie.

The updated numbers show the effect of the shooting:

1. The Dark Knight Rises (Legendary/Warner Bros) NEW [4,404 Theaters]

Friday $77.2M, Weekend $170M

2. Ice Age 4 (Blue Sky/Fox) Week 2 [3,886 Theaters]

Friday $6.8M (-51%), Weekend $21.6M, Cume $90.1M

3. The Amazing Spider-Man (Columbia/Sony) Week 3 [3,753 Theaters]

Friday $3.3M, Weekend $11.4M, Cume $229.1M

4. Ted (MRC/Universal) Week 4 [3,214 Theaters]

Friday $3.1M, Weekend $10.2M, Cume $180.7M

5. Brave (Pixar/Disney) Week 5 [2,899 Theaters]

Friday $1.9M, Weekend $6.5M, Cume $209.3M

6. Magic Mike (Warner Bros) Week 4 [2,606 Theaters]

Friday $1.6M, Weekend $4.3M, Cume $102.1M

7. Savages (Universal) Week 3 [2,336 Theaters]

Friday $986K, Weekend $3.3M, Cume $40.0M

8. Madea’s Witness Protection (TPerry/Lionsgate) Week 4 [1,540 Theaters]

Friday $744K, Weekend $2.2M, Cume $60.3M

9. Moonrise Kingdom (Focus Features) Week 9 [895 Theaters]

Friday $551K, Weekend $1.9M, Cume $36.2M

10. Madagascar 3 (DreamWorks Anim/Par) Week 7 [1,261 Theaters]

Friday $447K, Weekend $1.5M, Cume $207.8M

Other movies seem to be suffering a bit too. Edited by CJohn

As someone who doesn't care much about TDK franchise, I have to say that the shooting definitely had a negative effect on its box office, and to a lesser extent other movies. Of course the fans will watch it, but those who were simply curious might either pass or wait until the crowds get smaller in a few weeks. I expect the movie to even go lower from the current weekend predictions.

The movie theater I saw it in, banned a person in our line dressed as The Joker.The crowd was fine with it.

Ted is going to make $200 mio, MM crossed $100 mio so boxoffice isn`t ruined completely. And those 2 are super surprises.

Well those 2 movies already had their big runs before the tragedy. We will see the effect of the shooting on the box office in the next few weeks, especially opening weekends of movies like Bourne Legacy, Expendables 2, etc. I think the over the top violence nature of these movies might now be less appealing for audiences so soon after the tragedy, and I wonder how their studios will promote them.