Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

The real shame is that no movie in the foreseeable future has any chance at breaking the attendance record when TDKR was by all indicators going to.

Edited by Sims

The real shame is that no movie in the foreseeable future has any chance at breaking the attendance record when TDKR was by all indicators going to.

Not true. CF has a shot at the attendance record, imo. I definitely think it can hit 190 if everything goes the way it should, and that should give it the attendance record, depending on how high the average ticket price is by then.

Not true. CF has a shot at the attendance record, imo. I definitely think it can hit 190 if everything goes the way it should, and that should give it the attendance record, depending on how high the average ticket price is by then.

Do we know yet if CF will be in 2D or 3D? Regardless, I think CF will have a huge opening but it's going to take some very strong marketing to give it the push it needs for the attendance or OW records.

Do we know yet if CF will be in 2D or 3D? Regardless, I think CF will have a huge opening but it's going to take some very strong marketing to give it the push it needs for the attendance or OW records.

I think it's been confirmed more or less that 3D won't be used in the THG series at all. Either way CF won't have it.Anyways, OW record is definitely out with no 3D, but as I said attendance could happen if everything goes right and we get a sequel to a well received blockbuster perfect storm with it. Edited by MovieMan89

Since we've been talking about how much TDKR would've made had it not been for the shootings, here's a couple of more big what ifs I've been wondering about:How much wouldStar Wars IStar Wars IIStar Wars IIISpider-Man 2have made if they'd been released on a Friday and had a normal weekend? Any thoughts?

Since we've been talking about how much TDKR would've made had it not been for the shootings, here's a couple of more big what ifs I've been wondering about:How much wouldStar Wars IStar Wars IIStar Wars IIISpider-Man 2have made if they'd been released on a Friday and had a normal weekend? Any thoughts?

...we will never know so its useless and a waste of energy to think/talk about it :)

...we will never know so its useless and a waste of energy to think/talk about it :)

I think that's an unfair response. We're here to predict, pontificate and analyze box office earnings. Anything regarding box office is fair game. If you don't find interest in a topic of discussion, don't contribute.
  • Like 1

I know SM2 was a July 4th release, but was SW's release strictly a "demand" decision? I've never liked the mid-week releases except for holiday opportunities. TPM would have definitely been biblical in its first weekend.

Is there any reason why the TDKR would have an OW roughly 20-25% higher then the TDK in the UK and Australia and yet stay flat in the USA/CAN? If any country would be impacted by the "Heath Ledger" effect it would be Australia yet the TDKR has earned $15.1m over a normal 4 day weekend while after 5 days with a Wednesday opening TDK had managed $14.057m.

I think that's an unfair response. We're here to predict, pontificate and analyze box office earnings. Anything regarding box office is fair game. If you don't find interest in a topic of discussion, don't contribute.

The question is more or less useless because release patterns have dramatically changed over time. SW 1 opened in just 43 movie theatres for example.

The question is more or less useless because release patterns have dramatically changed over time. SW 1 opened in just 43 movie theatres for example.

So is he talking about the OT? I thought he was referring to the prequel trilogy.

Is there any reason why the TDKR would have an OW roughly 20-25% higher then the TDK in the UK and Australia and yet stay flat in the USA/CAN? If any country would be impacted by the "Heath Ledger" effect it would be Australia yet the TDKR has earned $15.1m over a normal 4 day weekend while after 5 days with a Wednesday opening TDK had managed $14.057m.

Ledger effect is compensated with the hype generated by the quality of TDK and inflation. USA has stayed flat because of tragedy. Many of us have agreed during this weekend that TDKR would have landed about 185-190 without the shooting, what would be about 15-20% higher than TDK, very similar to UK and Australia increases

More proof that the shooting had an effect domestically.

Market capacity. In the USA TDK was already very high (biggest weekend ever at the time) while in those two countries it was big, yet nowhere near the top 5 (in AUS something like top 10, while in the UK top 20). That leaves a lot of room to grow in OW compared to USA.

Ledger effect is compensated with the hype generated by the quality of TDK and inflation. USA has stayed flat because of tragedy. Many of us have agreed during this weekend that TDKR would have landed about 185-190 without the shooting, what would be about 15-20% higher than TDK, very similar to UK and Australia increases

30 million lost only because of the shooting? :huh: Somehow I find that hard to believe.

You are comparing increases in markets that had nowhere near the record breaking that the USA OW of TDK had and using it here? It's not something you can compare so easy.