Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Warner donating substantial sum to victimshttp://www.hollywood...donation-353175

GOOD For WB, see Hollywood isn't always about Greed people. I suggested this all throughout the weekend. I'm glad they did the right thing. It's not about them not being responsible it's the fact sadly people lost their lives seeing TDKR. That fact can't be avoided so it's only right they give some money especially with all the 160 million OW headlines. Edited by filmscholar

I'm very interested in how much this "sum" is.Too bad we'll never know.

And we don't need to know, they did the right thing, and that's really all we need to be concerned with. Substantial, is enough specificity I think for us.
  • Like 5

Well I guess I just jinxed it, Story just broke:"TDKR gets Mixed Reviews from Academy Members"http://www.hollywood...re-oscar-353114

That's fine, as I said before, TDKR only needs a core group of maximum 250 members(~165 is the minimum) who'll rank it in the top 4 to get nominated. That's how EL&IC got nominated.

Well I guess I just jinxed it, Story just broke:"TDKR gets Mixed Reviews from Academy Members"http://www.hollywood...re-oscar-353114

Not according to Deadline.

At least one observer told me reaction to the film itself was “fantastic with much applause at the end”. Although it is far from the studio’s or anybody’s mind this weekend – and should be – Warner Bros is known to have high Oscar hopes for the film.http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/305012/

Not according to Deadline.

The LA screenings were split up into 2 screening rooms because of the crowd, so it could've been the other theatre this observer's talking about. Also, that mixed reaction is only one screening's reaction, there were also separate academy screenings including, 2 in NY, 1 in London, and 1 in San Francisco. And Nolan's British, hopefully the Brits come out enough to support his movie come nomination time.

Its chances at a BP nod are probably 50/50 at this point. It'll need a couple of big contenders to disappoint. Nolan's chances at a directing nom are dead, for sure, however.

Its chances at a BP nod are probably 50/50 at this point. It'll need a couple of big contenders to disappoint. Nolan's chances at a directing nom are dead, for sure, however.

They've never been alive, anyone predicting him (including me) have just been grasping at straws, and blindly hoping.

Honestly, massive respect to WB for handling this tragedy the way they have. In a world (and an industry) where it's all about the bottom line, it's really heartwarming to see a studio act so decently, even when it's at the expense of their profits. Pure class.

• Like 1

We would have to have a lot of Oscar hopefuls flop with critics in order for TDKR to have a fighting chance. I don't think it will get a nomination regardless.

Sound mixing/editing, cinematography, visual effects, maybe editing for 4-5 noms.

There is no reason for Academy voters to come back to a movie like TDKR 6 months after its release, especially now that it is carrying quite a bit of baggage. If TH1 is well-received then I fully expect WB to make a push for it given the history of LOTR franchise and Peter Jackson.

I'll do a sports analogy here, Ernie Banks never won a World Series and Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl, that doesn't take anything away from their careers. If Nolan never wins an Oscar it won't ever take away from his career.

Yeah, WB has way too much on their plate this season to really push TDKR. If Hobbit is in the same league as the LOTR movies then a BP nom is in the bag. Then they have Gatsby, Argo (which I think they've actually said will be a huge contender) and Cloud Atlas.