Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

"Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community.

I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime.

The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me.

Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."

- Christopher Nolan

He couldn't have said it better.

I can understand SM3 comparisons even if the film is a lot better. It's so bloated.

The comparison makes sense to me in that I don't think the villains work, especially towards the end.However it's much, much better since Bale carries it on his shoulders and doesn't embarrass himself like Tobey did
  • Like 1

If this gets an $80M OD, minus midnights that's only $2M more than TDK got minus midnights. Even though $80M is a good number, a $2M increase points towards the tragedy having an effect on today's BO.

It could also point to how much the Ledger effect had on TDKs OW.
  • Like 2

FRIDAY 6 PM, 9TH UPDATE: No major changes to report except that The Dark Knight Rises is running less today than Marvel’s The Avengers but had more midnight business. So the two films are running neck and neck.

Neck and neck.. hm more signs for a low 80s OD. 80.9m would be perfect for me, just enough that I get that question in BSG right but still not too disappointing.

A bit of good news, I got a call from my porter, and he said that apparently the 2:40pm regular showing, had an audience member spontaneously lead a moment of silence during the credits where every member of the audience stayed. I thought it was something nice that needed sharing.

That is quite nice. It's always good to hear about stuff like this.

It could also point to how much the Ledger effect had on TDKs OW.

Even NM opened to $26M midnights, $46M OD minus midnights, and we know how frontloded the Twi films are. Considering that TDKR has $4M more midnights than the most frontloaded franchise, but can only manage a $4M daily increase with the advantage of summer and more matinees does point to a definite effect from the tragedy. Edited by CloneWars

FRIDAY 6 PM, 9TH UPDATE: No major changes to report except that The Dark Knight Rises is running less today than Marvel’s The Avengers but had more midnight business. So the two films are running neck and neck.

I wonder if she's taking into consideration that this isn't in 3D. Running less today in ticket sales or in $$$? Edited by Mr Potter

What's the asterisk there? A snowstorm? Hardly as impactful (not a word, but whatever) as a shooting where 12 people died.

The east coast blizzard was actually pretty big. Part of the reason why the 2nd weekend hold was beautiful.But yeah I think this is much worse than the blizzard.

What's the asterisk there? A snowstorm? Hardly as impactful (not a word, but whatever) as a shooting where 12 people died.

Unfortunately that is probably not correct. And to be clear, obviously the two events are incomparable in terms of devastation. Edited by Clavius