Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

It could also point to how much the Ledger effect had on TDKs OW.

Exactly. Nolan-ites have long been dismissive of this.The irony is that they don't acknowledge that one tragedy boosted TDK's overall sales yet NOW blame another tragedy for what they view as depressed receipts instead of an adjustment back to where they should be anyway.
  • Like 1

If this gets an $80M OD, minus midnights that's only $2M more than TDK got minus midnights. Even though $80M is a good number, a $2M increase points towards the tragedy having an effect on today's BO.

People don't understand how much shit like that affects some people. And we are talking about going to the movies. Something completely expendable.
  • Like 1

How is an 80 mill opening day horrible? That's exactly where I had it. These 100 OD and 200 mill predictions were, sorry to say, but they were ludicrous and fueled by the fact that a 3D film did the unthinkable. So there were some who thought this would follow suit...completely unrealistic.

• Like 3

People must be out of their minds if they think this number wouldn't be SIGNIFICANTLY higher without the shooting. An 80M OD is horrible, no ifs, ans, or buts about it.

In what world is an 80m OD horrible? That's the highest 2D opening by far.

Exactly. Nolan-ites have long been dismissive of this.The irony is that they don't acknowledge that one tragedy boosted TDK's overall sales yet NOW blame another tragedy for what they view as depressed receipts instead of an adjustment back to where they should be anyway.

Honestly I see more people pretending Ledger's death was a huge boon while this has had no impact.

A low 80'sm OD would spell a somewhat disappointing OW for the reason that TDKR's Sat hold won't be anywhere near as good as TA's due to the much higher midnight # and the fact that it's the middle of summer now. With An $81m OD or so I'd say:Fri: 81mSat: 53m (-35%)Sun: 44m (-17%)178m

Edited by MovieMan89

80M is horrible relative to expectations, and despite what many are trying to spin, these were NOT ludicrous expectations. 100M OD may not have happened but the OD record was not out of reach AT ALL.

The threat, however remote, of being shot in the theatre whilst watching a film is obviously going to have a huge impact on ticket sales. If people don't feel safe going to the movies, they won't go.

$80M is a good number, but the midnight to OD ratio isn't good though. And, TDKR minus midnights is looking to sell less tickets than TDK did on its OD.

A low 80'sm OD would spell a somewhat disappointing OW for the reason that TDKR's Sat hold won't be anywhere near as good as TA's due to the much higher midnight # and the fact that it's the middle of summer now. With An $81m OD or so I'd say:Fri: 81mSat: 53m (-35%)Sun: 44m (-17%)178m

That looks like a pretty good prediction.

So I didn't like this at all. In fact, this is about as bad as Spiderman 3 and worse than Superman Returns. The pacing is wrong, it's flat out boring during much of it and it commits some cardinal sins that a franchise film cannot do, kind of like what Rocky V did compared to IV. I loved Hathaway, loved the end and disliked most of the rest of it. This will not get a 3 multiplier and repeat business, imo, will be weak.

Either way it crushes Avengers' 61.2M OD

Wasnt that 61 minus midnights? If current estimates hold, TDKR would be at 50-55 or so sans midnights. Its a higher OD attendance obviously, but not moneywise.

80M is horrible relative to expectations, and despite what many are trying to spin, these were NOT ludicrous expectations. 100M OD may not have happened but the OD record was not out of reach AT ALL.

The OD record was never in reach. Not in my mind.

So I didn't like this at all. In fact, this is about as bad as Spiderman 3 and worse than Superman Returns. The pacing is wrong, it's flat out boring during much of it and it commits some cardinal sins that a franchise film cannot do, kind of like what Rocky V did compared to IV. I loved Hathaway, loved the end and disliked most of the rest of it. This will not get a 3 multiplier and repeat business, imo, will be weak.

After the deflated OW this looks to have, a 3 multiplier doesn't seem so unrealistic to me anymore.