Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

I can't wait to actually write a full review tomorrow morning. I think Nolan's films are all totally different genre wise that it's silly to even try to compare them. I do think that this was the grandest he's done and pulled off a ridiculously hard feat with it

Hi all. I have life. Means I missed last 1000 pages. care to recap what happened? Did TDKR tank?

Massive shooting is preventing it from having a bigger OW, Baumer disliked it, BKB banned, iJack and reddevil suspended.

There was no way this movie would live to TDK. I have a feeling I won't like the it very much either.

I think it's my favorite of the three, even with its flaws, though I was in the BB camp going in.
  • Like 2

So the second biggest opening day of all time is a bad ratio? lol...ok.How about there is an insane rush factor to this, just like there was with Twilights.

It couldn't beat TDK's day business. It's OD was basically saved by midnights. It's not the greatest start.
  • Like 1

I think it's my favorite of the three, even with its flaws, though I was in the BB camp going in.

I'm undecided where I stand. I left TDK far more excited, but I feel this is the kind of film that you gain a much deeper appreciation for over time whereas with TDK your appreciation doesn't change much upon repeat viewings.

The people making excuses had unreasonably high expectations to begin with.

The math had already born out that no 3D, being a darker film etc would keep it from doing $200m.

The tragedy is heart wrenching to us all but to use it as a scapegoat for one's unrealistic expectations based on emotion for what you wanted vs logic of what was possible does not help the matter.

Heres a quote from a reliable source who agrees with me, since Clone Wars doesn't think my opinion is shared that the tragedy hasn't impacted it's OD. Not to mention Sims thinks your clueless to say otherwise.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The idea it was going to curb enough people to enable the film to get it's OW $$$ is proving thus far inaccurate.

I missed TA run due to my second kid being born. However...I thought I heard it hit $100 million on OD. Just looked it up, so it barely crossed $80 million? And it looks like TDKR will surpass it without the help of 3D, and some of you are calling it a disappointment?At the end of the day this is a phenomenal performance. I think Baumer is wrong FWIW. I believe the tragedy did stop some people from going today in other parts of the country.It seems like before the movie opened, people were overestimating it, and haters were laughing, and now people are underestimating it, and those who love it are laughing. Reality is somewhere in the middle IMO.I think this will improve its strength throughout the weekend, and I expect tomorrow to be higher than a lot of you think. I also expect Sunday to drop even smaller now. But either way its an incredible performance given what happened.

• Like 2

I don't think the shooting really deflated it that much. It couldn't have affect the midnights and the 30m it made was quite disappointing to most people. 50-55m of day business after 30m midnights is a pretty normal ratio for a highly anticipated sequel, if the shooting really had a big effect the day business would be a lot lower.

It could be though.

I was about to say we don't even know what it is. It may be Twilight/Harry Potter.This isn't Avengers/Hunger Games for sure, IMO.

FRIDAY 6 PM, 9TH UPDATE: No major changes to report except that The Dark Knight Rises is running less today than Marvel’s The Avengersbut had more midnight business. So the two films are running neck and neck. Here are the Top Five films as of 6 PM:
1. The Dark Knight Rises (Legendary/Warner Bros) NEW [4,404 Theaters]
Friday $80M, Weekend $180M
2. Ice Age 4 (Blue Sky/Fox) Week 2 [3,886 Theaters]
Friday $7.5M, Weekend $25M, Cume $93.4M
3. The Amazing Spider-Man (Columbia/Sony) Week 3 [4,318 Theaters]
Friday $4M, Weekend $14M, Cume $231.7M
4. Ted (MRC/Universal) Week 4 [3,214 Theaters]
Friday $3.6M, Weekend $12M, Cume $182.4M
5. Brave (Pixar/Disney) Week 5 [2,899 Theaters]
Friday $2.5M, Weekend $8.5M, Cume $211.2M

I'm undecided where I stand. I left TDK far more excited, but I feel this is the kind of film that you gain a much deeper appreciation for over time whereas with TDK your appreciation doesn't change much upon repeat viewings.

Yeah, TDK is laser-focused intensity and excitement, this is just so much bigger.

I missed TA run due to my second kid being born. However...I thought I heard it hit $100 million on OD. Just looked it up, so it barely crossed $80 million? And it looks like TDKR will surpass it without the help of 3D, and some of you are calling it a disappointment?At the end of the day this is a phenomenal performance. I think Baumer is wrong FWIW. I believe the tragedy did stop some people from going today in other parts of the country.It seems like before the movie opened, people were overestimating it, and haters were laughing, and now people are underestimating it, and those who love it are laughing. Reality is somewhere in the middle IMO.I think this will improve its strength throughout the weekend, and I expect tomorrow to be higher than a lot of you think. I also expect Sunday to drop even smaller now. But either way its an incredible performance given what happened.

TA crossed 80M with a 18M midnight gross, TDKR's doing it with a 30M midnight gross. No where in the same league.

I don't think the shooting really deflated it that much. It couldn't have affect the midnights and the 30m it made was quite disappointing to most people. 50-55m of day business after 30m midnights is a pretty normal ratio for a highly anticipated sequel, if the shooting really had a big effect the day business would be a lot lower.

You forget that $50-55m is barely beating TDK and not beating it in admissions. The shooting clearly had an effect.