Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

They won`t blame. They either won`t say anything cause tragedy allows them to be respectfully silent or say they don`t care about money in the wake of it. It`s media who will put the shooting spin on disappointing OW.In the meantime, WB is discussing who to fire over this costly disappointment. My money`s on an idiot who brough excusive screening wraith upon the movie`s head.

WB will fire no one. Don't be delusional.

I spoke to at least 15 people since the shooting who all changed their minds about seeing it this weekend. The movies are about escape. Not to cruelly remind you that a massacre happened to a group of people who were watching the same movie as you.

I suspect the brutally bleak tone of the film isn't exactly helping its case as well. Unfortunate set of circumstances all around.
  • Like 1

a few of my friends cancelled their plans to see it this weekend. Looking at it from the general public's pov, I probably wouldn't want to pay for something that I couldn't completely enjoy. I don't care how irrational you think that sounds. Not everyone cares that much about batman. For the casual viewers... the movie reminds them of the shooting, and I don't think there's anything wrong with them skipping it. It sucks for the cast & crew (and ppl who follow the box office) but what can you do.

Exactly this. If fanboys populated the midnight showings, the casual moviegoers would have added more to walk ups. But the fact is TDKR is not a priority over their safety. If I'm hearing correctly that evenings have been soft, it's obvious why people are not flocking to see this at night.

It was supposed to be like a -23% drop. It's now -42%. And this could go lower.

I can see Saturday and Sunday being crap days for every movie, not just TDKR. Friday was already a shit.

:rolleyes: I've already posted information regarding pre-release expectations. You chose to ignore it because of your agenda. I am not posting it again.

So pre-release expectations and tracking means everything right? By that logic Avengers should've opened around 130-150m.

I do want to say this, for those claiming things like Bourne will really hurt it.This is the only movie anybody will really talking about for a while. It's not so much disliking theater going, rather I expect there to be a real struggle to build excitement behind going to the movies for a bit. If you are paying any sort of attention to the press, you would think that Batman was the only movie playing. The upcoming openers are going to get hit extremely hard while Batman stabilizes, because the coverage Batman has been, and now will continue to, receive will completely overwhelm the others. TDKR is hands down the most talked about film of the year, espec. after the shooting, and now hand in hand with it is excellent word of mouth. Kind of like Ledgers death, long term this will make the film money.

• Like 1

So pre-release expectations and tracking means everything right? By that logic Avengers should've opened around 130-150m.

I need a reminder. Was there a national tragedy that took place in a movie theater during Avengers opening weekend?

I do want to say this, for those claiming things like Bourne will really hurt it.This is the only movie anybody will really talking about for a while. It's not so much disliking theater going, rather I expect there to be a real struggle to build excitement behind going to the movies for a bit. If you are paying any sort of attention to the press, you would think that Batman was the only movie playing. The upcoming openers are going to get hit extremely hard while Batman stabilizes, because the coverage Batman has been, and now will continue to, receive will completely overwhelm the others. TDKR is hands down the most talked about film of the year, espec. after the shooting, and now hand in hand with it is excellent word of mouth. Kind of like Ledgers death, long term this will make the film money.

Unfortunate that it's being talked about for all the wrong reasons. God, I fucking hate that guy-whatever his name is.

Nonetheless even with the Midnights the TDKR did not have a chance at the opening weekend record.The question would have been 185-190 million...Hi I went outside because of nothing interest to track..What was RTH projection for Saturday?Also in Canada, Saturday is well up from yeseterday sooo..whatever that means...

• Like 1

I need a reminder. Was there a national tragedy that took place in a movie theater during Avengers opening weekend?

To them, it doesn't matter. All the evidence points to the fact that the shooting is having a huge effect. Look at Brave drop!! Just look! And Ice Age 4!!! I am not even talking about TASM!!! And even that one! 65%+ drop? WTF?!?!?!I can only imagine that type of shit BKB would saying right now. Glad he is banned. Should have been forever, tho.
  • Like 1

Wait, wouldn't TA performing far better than tracking suggest TDKR could have done the same? I don't think TDKR was going to break the OW record, but it's an odd line of reasoning...

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

Unfortunate that it's being talked about for all the wrong reasons. God, I fucking hate that guy-whatever his name is.

Itll take time, but people will move past it, just like with Ledger. This has exploded awareness and word of mouth, it will pay off long term. W.B. woud be wise to commit to donating, idk 10% of the films domestic haul to a fund for the familes. Buying tickets as a form of charity, while helping them out tremendously because 10% will be 40-50 million.

TA's tracking was at 170 M - 180 M not 130 M.

RS was 160MMTC was 140MBut I remember several sites talking about the OW record on the Thursday before his release.