Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

I'm with everyone that saws WB should delay GS. I mean, heck, delay it for a year if you have to. They didn't market it too much, just put out a trailer. It won't be the end of the world if they need to remarket. I mean, Paramount has no problem delaying a big budget picture one month from release. lol

• Like 2

ERC told CNN they expect them around 1pm ET today. The chick on CNN just said it 10 minutes ago.

We should start hearing the early word about BO right around now, or so I'm told. Depends on if rth, or Alfred is online.

From Bloomberg:

Ticket sales for Warner Bros.’ “The Dark Knight Rises” came in below projections made before a shooting at a premiere of the movie killed 12 people in Aurora, Colorado, according to an analyst.

The movie earned in the range of $155 million to $165 million, estimates Jeff Bock, an analyst for Exhibitor Relations Co. Before the violence at the Cinemark Holdings Inc. (CNK) theater, it was expected to generate $170 million to $198 million in its first three days, the estimates of researchers Fizziology and Boxoffice.com.

That would still place the film among the top five weekend openings ever, according to Box Office Mojo, an online publication tracking ticket sales. The first in the series, “The Dark Knight,” with $158.4 million in opening weekend sales, is ranked third after “Marvel’s The Avengers” and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” the site says.

Some families may have made other plans after the shooting, “and the casual fan may have turned away as well,” Bock said. “Everybody’s very mindful of it.”

Warner Bros., owned by Time Warner Inc. (TWX), and other Hollywood studios aren’t reporting official sales figures, with some issuing statements citing sensitivity to the victims. Studios typically report figures for weekend sales every Sunday. Warner, based in Burbank, California, also has curbed promotion of the movie, one of the year’s most anticipated.

That's a pretty hefty range they got there for projections. :P

Shawn, I understand where you are coming from. However, the cat is out of the bag. Bloomberg had a banner on their network that said TDKR was going to open below $170-180m expectations. Well gee, I wonder what the're implying. The movie made $30m at midnight, which gave us a pretty decent idea of where it was headed (likely $180-185m).

The woman on CNN was talking about this. To her credit, she said that it was way too early for anyone to say how much of an effect this actually did have on TDKR's b.o. take.

From Bloomberg:

Ticket sales for Warner Bros.’ “The Dark Knight Rises” came in below projections made before a shooting at a premiere of the movie killed 12 people in Aurora, Colorado, according to an analyst.

The movie earned in the range of $155 million to $165 million, estimates Jeff Bock, an analyst for Exhibitor Relations Co. Before the violence at the Cinemark Holdings Inc. (CNK) theater, it was expected to generate $170 million to $198 million in its first three days, the estimates of researchers Fizziology and Boxoffice.com.

That would still place the film among the top five weekend openings ever, according to Box Office Mojo, an online publication tracking ticket sales. The first in the series, “The Dark Knight,” with $158.4 million in opening weekend sales, is ranked third after “Marvel’s The Avengers” and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” the site says.

Some families may have made other plans after the shooting, “and the casual fan may have turned away as well,” Bock said. “Everybody’s very mindful of it.”

Warner Bros., owned by Time Warner Inc. (TWX), and other Hollywood studios aren’t reporting official sales figures, with some issuing statements citing sensitivity to the victims. Studios typically report figures for weekend sales every Sunday. Warner, based in Burbank, California, also has curbed promotion of the movie, one of the year’s most anticipated.

Apparently Kal works at Bloomberg.
  • Like 2

and its 1:00pm, Warner Bros will release the numbers, we can react (shamefully I will freak out but not as much due to the shooting impact), then we can put this weekend behind us.

I will go to a corner and cry yet again.
  • Like 1