lilmac

Is Christopher Nolan among the alltime greats?

Nolan is pretty stinkin good, when it comes to scope and an epic feel, and really good at getting good performances, but he needs to work on his humor and human emotion. but I'd say he is pretty up there. definitely one of my favorite directors.   

I know it's subjective, but I think Nolan's humor perfectly fits his films, it is supposed make people chuckle (mostly succeeding at it), not laugh out loud.

About the human emotion, all of them hit me emotionally to some degree. Inception, TDKR, Interstellar and Insomnia in particular.

Edited by Mad Goffe
  • Like 2

Nolan's humor is just fine. TDK, Inception, and TDKR were filled with some very funny bits. Admittedly, I thought Interstellar was rather weak on humor, most of it felt forced.

Also, this Mann debate seems rather silly. The original idea behind it was that Mann wasn't considered a great director, so Nolan couldn't be considered a great director. However, from the discussions here, and what I've seen outside, it seems like Mann is considered a great director. Of course, that doesn't mean Nolan should automatically be considered great, but I see no reason why Mann's greatness disqualifies Nolan's greatness.

And those are just the ones better than Nolan's whole filmography. Also every film there (Except blackhat which I haven't seen) is better than Following, Prestige, Insomina.

No.

• Like 1

And those are just the ones better than Nolan's whole filmography. Also every film there (Except blackhat which I haven't seen) is better than Following, Prestige, Insomina.

Vice, Ali, Public Enemies, The Keep and Blackhat are all miles worse than anything Nolan has ever directed.

Insomnia is one of the top 5 remakes of all time, easily along the lines of True Grit, TGWTDT, The Departed and A Fistful of Dollars.

The Prestige is one of the most spellbinding, richly complex mystery thrillers ever made and easily the best one based on magicians and deception, with a clashing duo as riveting as Hannibal Lector and Clarice Starling.

Following is one of the best shoestring budgets ever filmed, right up there with Eraserhead, Pi and El Mariachi.

Be honest: would you people be so high on Nolan if you take TDK series out of his filmography? Nah. Inception and Interstellar wouldn't had the hype, hell Interstellar may have been treated like Transcendence around here. Okay maybe more like Gravity, but it definitely wouldn't have created 1,000 pages of discussion and the poster wouldn't have got like 30 likes, and there wouldve been no meltdowns with a sub $50 opening. Inception wouldve been more of a slow-burner, but still probably wouldve eventually gotten its acclaim, but again it wouldn't have nowhere near the initial hype if it was coming off Prestige rather than TDK.

He may be able to gain all-time great status in a few decades, but its definitely too early for all of that jazz. Again that's like calling JLaw one of the greatest actresses ever. She may be when its all said and done, but right now, too damn early.

• Like 2

Be honest: would you people be so high on Nolan if you take TDK series out of his filmography? Nah. Inception and Interstellar wouldn't had the hype, hell Interstellar may have been treated like Transcendence around here. Okay maybe more like Gravity, but it definitely wouldn't have created 1,000 pages of discussion and the poster wouldn't have got like 30 likes, and there wouldve been no meltdowns with a sub $50 opening. Inception wouldve been more of a slow-burner, but still probably wouldve eventually gotten its acclaim, but again it wouldn't have nowhere near the initial hype if it was coming off Prestige rather than TDK.

How high were people on Neill Blomkamp after District 9? As long as you keep making good films, people will sing your praises regardless of how much money they make. 

• Like 1

How high were people on Neill Blomkamp after District 9? As long as you keep making good films, people will sing your praises regardless of how much money they make.

Thats not the point I was making. TDK is established, based on Batman. There was always going to be bias within. Thats why I asked would people here be so high on him if he didnt take on one of the most popular characters ever, and his filmography was restricted to orginal fare.

Has nothing to do wth Blumpkincamp. Hes made 3 originals in row, not adaptions. But I feel like my question is rhetorical anyway.

But he did make TDK, and he did a great job with it.

It's like when people argue that without The Joker, TDK sucks. Well, ok, but The Joker is either directly or indirectly involved in every scene, so that argument doesn't really work.

Similarly, Nolan did make TDK, so I don't see how not counting it in this debate makes sense.

And your reputation is not automatically elevated just because you work on a fanboy property. Marc Webb's has arguably been hurt quite significantly through his involvement with the last two Spider-Man movies when before he was only known for a charmingly quirky romantic comedy.

He may be able to gain all-time great status in a few decades, but its definitely too early for all of that jazz. Again that's like calling JLaw one of the greatest actresses ever. She may be when its all said and done, but right now, too damn early.

You could say the same for any director. One film generates good will and you see other films in his/her filmography in a more positive light. If you deny that is the case, I deny that it's the same way for me with Christopher Nolan.  :)

But he did make TDK, and he did a great job with it.

It's like when people argue that without The Joker, TDK sucks. Well, ok, but The Joker is either directly or indirectly involved in every scene, so that argument doesn't really work.

Similarly, Nolan did make TDK, so I don't see how not counting it in this debate makes sense.

I'm tempted to cut every bit of the joker's voice and face out of the dark knight and upload it here. That would be hilarious.

It's like when people argue that without The Joker, TDK sucks. 

Without Hannibal Lector, Lambs sucks.

Without the Shark, Jaws sucks.

Without Zod, Superman 2 sucks.

Without Anton, No Country sucks.

Without Vito, Godfather 1 & 2 suck.

And on, and on, and on...