darthdevidem01

Who should direct a new trilogy?

Its FOX so you might want to look at FOX directors to start. You have

and
both with shorts that will be turned into live-action movies. The latter one was made for 600K I think. Then you have directors like Rupert Wyatt (brought back the Apes franchise) and Scott (brought back the Alien franchise). Justin Lin might do a good job seeing as he brought back the fast franchise. You need a director that brings back 'dead' franchises to the forefront. If you are looking for big names you have Fincher, Wachowskis or Josh Trank (by the time they would come out, he would be a big name), he has F4, Chronicle 2, Venom,Shadow Of The Colossus and Red Star coming up. Also he is a FOX director (partially).

Its FOX so you might want to look at FOX directors to start. You have

and
both with shorts that will be turned into live-action movies. The latter one was made for 600K I think. Then you have directors like Rupert Wyatt (brought back the Apes franchise) and Scott (brought back the Alien franchise). Justin Lin might do a good job seeing as he brought back the fast franchise. You need a director that brings back 'dead' franchises to the forefront. If you are looking for big names you have Fincher, Wachowskis or Josh Trank (by the time they would come out, he would be a big name), he has F4, Chronicle 2, Venom,Shadow Of The Colossus and Red Star coming up. Also he is a FOX director (partially).
Fox has no say in who a director would be. It's completely Lucasfilm's decision and they wouldn't limit themselves to up-and-coming directors who've done stuff for Fox. Spielberg was close on multiple occasions to directing a film for both the old and new trilogies but was sidelined because of union issues (Lucas withdrawing from the DGA being the big reason).The big thing to consider is what kind of trilogy will this be. Would the trilogy be set in the aftermath of the OT? Would the trilogy be set thousands of years in the past during the glory years of the Old Republic, drawing on source material from books/comics/video games set in that era? Would the trilogy be set at the dawn of the Jedi themselves? In many ways, what the trilogy will be about will define the kind of director you want. Another thing to consider is whether you want the same director for all three films, or a different director for each film like with the OT.If you asked a few years ago who'd I would want directing, it'd be J.J. Abrams or Joss Whedon because they both get sci-fi space adventure and drama and both revere Star Wars immensely. However both have now started forging their own defining career paths and should be pretty busy for awhile, though I'd imagine both would leap at the chance for making a Star Wars film still. Duncan Jones turned down Man of Steel because he felt he wasn't ready to tackle a huge project like that yet, but he would be an excellent pick when he gets more comfortable because his 2 films demonstrate he understands how sci-fi "works" at a conceptual level and both of his films have been character-based rather than story based. Because of the wealth of source material in the EU there is plenty of stuff to draw on for a compelling story, so the goal should be to have a director/writer who can work wonders with the characters, since the biggest flaw of the PT was the dialogue and the characters, not the story itself. Another director along the Jones model would be Danny Boyle, who is another great "characters/actors" director who with Sunshine (2007) showed himself to be very skilled and innovative at using sci-fi as a setting (the film cost $40 million but looks wonderful for that price, at least double the actual budget).Just some musings of mine.

I was answering the question. I mentioned others that were not FOX related directors. How do you know what FOX will do? What has Danny Boyle done that you think he can do a 150M+ movie justice.Talk about directors that double their budget's Apes did 4X+ its budget. Scott doubled Prometheus budget, also Lin did wonders with the Fast franchise. Look at the Wachowski's and Fincher those are 2 big names.Isn't Boyle and Jones and up and coming directors? Wachowski's, Fincher, Lin, Scott are more established than those 2.

I was answering the question.I mentioned others that were not FOX related directors. How do you know what FOX will do? What has Danny Boyle done that you think he can do a 150M+ movie justice.Talk about directors that double their budget's Apes did 4X+ its budget. Scott doubled Prometheus budget, also Lin did wonders with the Fast franchise. Look at the Wachowski's and Fincher those are 2 big names.Isn't Boyle and Jones and up and coming directors? Wachowski's, Fincher, Lin, Scott are more established than those 2.

I know what FOX will do because it's common knowledge that FOX has 0% stake in Star Wars. There's no guarantee that they have any involvement in any SW film, it's just happened that way because of the historical relationship between the company and Lucas. If another trilogy is made, FOX will take money from Lucasfilm to assist in marketing and distributing and that's it. They won't have any input into anything else and they won't try to do so because why interfere with a moneymaking machine?You totally misunderstood my "double" remark. I said Boyle took a sci-fi film (Sunshine) that cost $40 million and made it look like over double that amount went into it. Sunshine looked THAT good on the screen because of the innovative, controlled, and intelligent use of special effects and props. Directors like Boyle and Jones are wonderful with controlling budgets (again, look at Moon, cost a handful of millions but looks insanely good) and getting the most bang for their buck. As for your saying that it'll cost $150 million or more, remember that Lucas and company essentially own ILM. Episode III cost $113 million, but if it wasn't an in-house production that cost would easily have been over that by tens of millions. In-house production means discount means established relationship with the effects/sets/etc people who will put in the extra mile for their own parent company.Jones is up-and-coming fine, big deal. We're not seeing a SW film for years anyway so by then he'll have a bigger footprint. Boyle though is incredibly established, having made films for almost 20 years now and being an Oscar winner to boot. Justin Lin resurrected Fast and Furious, great, but I would want a director who can do more than execute car chases wonderfully. Fincher and Scott are too established to get involved and are too invested in doing things completely their own way. Plus Fincher is far too cold and cerebral in his filmmaking for a space opera series like Star Wars is. Only Spielberg is a director on that level of establishment who could get the keys to Star Wars because 1) He and Lucas are best friends, 2) He adores Star Wars and has first-hand experience with it (he helped direct the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan duel in Episode III). Wachowski's are far too stylistic and far too "renegade" to be trusted with a property like this. But again, that's all a question of union involvement. Lucas ended up directing the PT himself in large part because Star Wars operates outside union codes so no DGA-affiliated director could get involved without serious consequences. It remains to be seen what the stakes are like now. Edited by 4815162342

In any event, I highly doubt we'll see any movement on a new Star Wars film this decade just because Lucas is more interested in letting things develop with EU novels and video games, and possibly getting that TV show finally into development. So in 8-10 years or more the director landscape will be entirely different.

I'm more interested anyway in what a new series would be about, rather than who would be behind the camera.

Interesting info on the budget. Looked more than 113M I guess keeping it in house really helped. So the DGA would restrict directors from getting involved. So Boyle could be one of these.

Not sure, but isn't the later stories more about n0n-Jedi events. I want to see some Jedi/Sith Wars so I would say start 1000 years before the PT. Also could LucasFilm tell a story outside the EU, so then a trilogy after EP.VII involving Jedi's.

Interesting info on the budget. Looked more than 113M I guess keeping it in house really helped. So the DGA would restrict directors from getting involved. So Boyle could be one of these.

BOM says $113 million and they're usually pretty accurate with budget news.Considering the union issue it really depends on Lucasfilm's current relationship with them. Their history has been rocky ever since Lucas pulled out of the DGA due to them fining him for his unconventional opening title crawl to the films. In the end it depends if Lucasfilm is willing to commit to union work for all aspects because if they don't go with any then all major trade unions pull out (so no DGA directors). It's too much a variable until a production is begun.As for stories, because I doubt you'll get Hamill, Fisher, and Ford in any capacity they'll have to set things to after their deaths, which is at least 45 years post-ROTJ since they're all alive and kicking through 42-43 years following ROJ. There's a comic series set about 100 years after that that's all about a Sith resurgence taking over the galaxy and the fight to reclaim it.Concerning the pre-prequel era, there are 2 major periods that have a bunch of source material for possible films:4,000 Years Earlier- The Great Sith War. The comic series detailing this saga has a lot of great material for a foundation to a trilogy. You have a regrown Sith menace led by a charismatic fallen Jedi, massive space and ground battles with interesting locales, and plenty of memorable characters both heroic and tragic.The other option for this time period is to make films based on the KOTOR games, which are set about 40 years after that major war. There might need to be some reworking of story and character details for those.1,000+ Years Earlier- This is the period where the Sith come back once again and nearly take over the galaxy but it ends in a colossal battle that wipes out every Sith except Darth Bane, who institutes the famous Rule of 2 (1 master, 1 apprentice). The aftermath of the war also reforges the Galactic Republic and causes the Jedi Order to adopt new laws, such as the prohibition against relationships, etc. There's some interesting stuff here but I can easily see a film series altering some of the details which would result in a comic series and potentially even some of the most popular video games becoming apocryphal instead of the B-level canon they are right now.There is also fragments of material here and there that gives some information about what happened in the times involving the formation of the Jedi, Republic, etc but it's not much, though the upside is it gives Lucas & co. the chance to firmly canonize that period, since the events in the books, comics, and games are secondary canon and are subject to being retconned or outright nullified by movie details (such as the original backstory of the Clone Wars). Edited by 4815162342

Huh, intriguing idea. Affleck's got a slick and smart writing/directing style that focuses a lot on economy of action and characters. Not sure if he's best suited for a traditional epic space opera but if the story is a bit more grounded in the "real world" of the Star Wars galaxy he might end up an inspired choice. But would he also have to star in the film? Because that might be going a bridge too far.On another note, regardless of the director, Michael Giacchino needs to score the films so he can fulfill his destiny of being the successor to John Williams lots of music observers have said he is gearing to be.

Peter Jackson, J. J. Abrams or Christopher Nolan. :D Gorge Lucas shouldn't be anywhere near a new star wars movie imo.

PJ shouldn`t be allowed to a) cast anyone and B) let Boyens and Walsh write the script. Enough with his charisma-free lead + Z-lister preference already and B+W write trully awful sap.Cameron would be perfect for this because he`s influenced by SW but isn`t a jaded fanboy like JJ whose Super 8 sufferend from too much drooling over Spielberg work to make an homage that also stands on its own. Auteur of Tarantino stature JJ ain`t.I`d rather have Nolan tackle Dune because he`s perfect for its intellectual matter. Edited by fishnets

Give it to Josh Weadon or J.J Abraham.

Awesome directors, but Whedon is tied up with Avengers, and JJ Abrams Star Trek. Would be weird for JJ to do both ST and SW, no? :PNow that Disney bought LucasFilms, I'm thinking Brad Bird. Brad Bird all the way. :wave:

Awesome directors, but Whedon is tied up with Avengers, and JJ Abrams Star Trek. Would be weird for JJ to do both ST and SW, no? :PNow that Disney bought LucasFilms, I'm thinking Brad Bird. Brad Bird all the way. :wave:

Well didn't ILM do special effects for a few of the ST films?The link is there bro, the link is there :P