CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

the major news here is that Despicable Me franchise is now the ONLY animated franchise EVER to have 2 spots in the top 5 highest grossing films of all time, 

dwight-the-office-false-meme.png

Shrek has achieved it before, and Top 3 at that.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

dwight-the-office-false-meme.png

Shrek has achieved it before, and Top 3 at that.

No I am right

Shrek 2 only crossed 900m and is not in the top 5

DM/Minions franchise is currently the only franchise that has 2 films in the top 5 animated films of all time

Frozen 1.27

TS3 1.06

Minions 1.003

Lion King 987m

DM2 970M

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 2

No I am right

Shrek 2 only crossed 900m and is not in the top 5

DM/Minions franchise is currently the only franchise that has 2 films in the top 5 animated films of all time

Frozen 1.27

TS3 1.06

Minions 1.003

Lion King 987m

DM2 970M

You said Despicable Me is the only franchise to ever have two films in the top five animated movies, but when Shrek 2 and 3 were at their peak they were in the top three.

• Like 1

Shrek 2 - 919M

Finding Nemo - 866M

Shrek 3 - 799M

The Lion King - 784M

Ice Age 2 - 661M

Yes, Shrek had two films in top 5 all time. More than that, it had two in the top three ever.

Edited by Tree-5000
  • Like 2

You said Despicable Me is the only franchise to ever have two films in the top five animated movies, but when Shrek 2 and 3 were at their peak they were in the top three.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Great achievement for Illumination still - DM is the now the only franchise with 2 spots in the top 5 - despite the much fiercer competition nowadays.

Shrek 2 - 919M

Finding Nemo - 866M

Shrek 3 - 799M

The Lion King - 784M

Ice Age 2 - 661M

Yes, Shrek had two films in top 5 all time. More than that, it had two in the top three ever.

I believe this was in the late 2000s, competition wasn't as fierce and Dreamworks and Disney were the only players. Later came Blue Sky and Illumination etc so it's good to see a non Disney studio landing 2 spots in the top 5 list - good to see Disney challenged for a change.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 2

Heh I was just reading a Yahoo Movies article and most of the comments were, "Really?! THIS one?!"

Congrats to Illumination for making a film that is not necessarily great, but reaches such a wide audience by having main characters that don't speak English. I can't really be angry, Inside Out was still a gigantic success regardless.

• Like 2

Heh I was just reading a Yahoo Movies article and most of the comments were, "Really?! THIS one?!"

Congrats to Illumination for making a film that is not necessarily great, but reaches such a wide audience by having main characters that don't speak English. I can't really be angry, Inside Out was still a gigantic success regardless.

EXACTLY.

Apart from the FROZEN, MINIONS is the only film (and franchise) to score big in EVERY continent, this means it is indeed a truly worldwide film. IA is beloved in Latin America and Europe but not that much in Asia and North America, while KFP is beloved in Asia while not that much in Latin/North America or Europe.

FROZEN, MINIONS and TOY STORY are the only animated films to resonate with all nations - a huge feat and achievement by a non Disney studio as Illumination.

Lol, so many haters of Frozen??

Soo... it is OK to hate on the most successful animated movie of all time - but somehow Pixar (that never even came close to such greatness) is an untouchable sacred cow??

Meanwhile: the story of the Star Wars parody Shay's gamebook kicks into gear: http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/19946-shays-very-own-galactic-cop-bestselling-gamebook-come-in-play-and-have-fun/ You can always check it out and see what it is for YOU to be the main character of the story and decide what to do and what will happen.

Minions Climb China's Great Wall Ahead of Release

vJoRNkQ.jpg

Hollywood Reporter:
The Universal Pictures animated juggernaut, which just crossed $1 billion in global box office, is expected to do big business in China when it opens Sept. 13.
Universal's beloved Minions popped up on the Great Wall of China over the weekend, bringing their infectious brand of box office-conquering cheer to the world's second largest movie market. The Despicable Me franchise prequel, Minions, which just crossed $1 billion in global box office, is expected to do big business in China when it opens Sept. 13.
The Minions photo session atop the country's iconic 2,000-year-old structure was just the first step in Universal's promotional push in China (more photos below). The three yellow, pill-shaped characters will next embark on a road show across the country, meeting and greeting fans at Chinese cinemas. The studio's Beijing-based office has also launched an online campaign called Silly Sunday Challenge, in light of film's opening on a Sunday. Fans will be invited to dress like Minions, compete in Minionese translation contests, mug for Minions-themed videos and more.
Despite a rocky start in China, the Universal franchise has become a fan favorite there. The firstDespicable Me film didn't even score a release in the country when it came out in 2010 -- for reasons that were never explained, as China's state film regulators seldom share their motives. And Despicable Me 2 was denied an opening slot until seven months after its U.S. premiere, reportedly due to difficulties with a local agent. But the film exceeded expectations and won the weekend when it finally did premiere, eventually grossing $52.9 million during its China run.
A strong, snag-free release for Minions would cap off a huge year for Universal in China. In April, the studio's Furious 7 became the highest-grossing film ever in the country with $390 million.Jurassic World, meanwhile, pulled in $228 million from China and currently ranks fourth for the year at the local box office. 

2N2TGsx.jpg

• Like 3