CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

yeah the question was record breaking ticket sales or not for TDKR...I think the 30 million midnights and lesser reception (still amazing) compared to TA and TDK would have not allowed it break 190 million for the weekend,.

Didn't you post before you thought it would have done around 195 without the shooting? I agreed with that.30M midnights90M OD58M Saturday47M Sunday195M weekend

Look, I was one of those with a $100m OD/$200m OW... and it's pretty clear to me that $200m died when midnights only hit $30m (and they weren't affected by the shooting). I still think it wouldn've finished in the $180-185m range had things been normal. But really, we'll never know and it's a moot point now.

• Like 7

30 mil shaved off is reasonable. It would hit 190 based off of BOG's early Friday 'high 80s' projection. From what RTH posted TDKR did even/better business than Avengers in top markets so middle America business must have been really hit by the shootings. But it wasn't hitting 200 mil because it probably couldn't ever hit 200 mil. Only with 3D.

Look, I was one of those with a $100m OD/$200m OW... and it's pretty clear to me that $200m died when midnights only hit $30m (and they weren't affected by the shooting). I still think it wouldn've finished in the $180-185m range had things been normal. But really, we'll never know and it's a moot point now.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvp37o1jZUo

"Didn't you post before you thought it would have done around 195 without the shooting? I agreed with that."That was the best case situation it could have done that...I think a 40% drop on Saturday was going to happen no matter what...

"Didn't you post before you thought it would have done around 195 without the shooting? I agreed with that."That was the best case situation it could have done that...I think a 40% drop on Saturday was going to happen no matter what...

I don't think a 40% drop would have happened without the shooting. Firstly, the shooting deflated day business and made it so the midnights constituted a higher portion of Friday's gross. Second, because presales arguably stopped Friday's number from being any lower.

I had the largest prediction here. Shooting or no shooting, after 30 million midnights, I thought t was headed for 190-195. Right in line with tracking. Admissions record, tops TDK and THG by a sizable amount, still e abit behind avengers due to 3d boost. The 160 million gross really reflects that '7% first choice' advantage it had on Avengers. TDKRs floor was probably 160 million, which is just ENOOOORM. The massacre was a nuclear bomb for the enthusiasm surrounding it's opening, though it still opened to 160 million, which is obviously huge. If we think TDKR suffered, imagine how much money Avengers would have lost if the shooting had been one of it's midnight screenings instead. I don't think the effect the shooting had can really be over estimated.

Edited by ExcelFTW

Actually no it doesn't. That's like saying John Candy's Wagon's East should make a shit load of money in Canada because he's Canadian. One has nothing to do with the other. Do Mel Gibson movies make more money in Australia than anywhere else? Do Kidman's? Did the Ring 2 make a pile of money in Australia?

Actually is does, we seem to get behind our actors more than most, and the Joker was a very popular character played very well by Ledger. It stands to reason that if there was any country that was to suffer from him not being in the film, Australia would be that country.