CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

It's not the prediction. I already gave him his props on that one. I'm reading his TA vs. TASM vs. TDKR thread, and he's really giving it to the TA bashers. It is very entertaining and he deserves his props for standing up for the movie the way he did.I still can't believe iJack accused BKB of being a Nolanite.

I can. BKB gave BB a 9.5/10 back in 2005 and recently he decided to watch 2 hours of Russell Brand's annoying antics on MTV just so he could see 90 seconds of TDKR footage. Then he bought tickets to a 3:30 AM showing of TDKR. Who does that other than a crazy fan? :P

I can. BKB gave BB a 9.5/10 back in 2005 and recently he decided to watch 2 hours of Russell Brand's annoying antics on MTV just so he could see 90 seconds of TDKR footage. Then he bought tickets to a 3:30 AM showing of TDKR. Who does that other than a crazy fan? :P

A crazy hater? :P
  • Like 1

He has still done more harm then good

That's debatable. I don't know what harm he has done. Then again, I don't really know why he was banned. He has been really good in the TA threads.The way Dexter of Suburbia was messing with BKB in the TA vs. TASM vs. TDKR thread is hilarious too. He's totally messing with him and I can't stop laughing, so there may be typos in this post.

A crazy hater? :P

I just can't imagine a hater being willing to watch the movie so late at night and, more importantly, I can't imagine anyone sitting through 2 hours of Russell Brand's crap just so they can watch less than 2 minutes of footage...unless they're a big fan. :lol:

I think people should start preparing themselves for the scenario where it falls short of TDK by more than 100 million unadjusted. As of right now it is behaving like a big frontloaded blockbuster and it is going to run into London Olympics next week which, when combined with the shooting, means the potential is there for a second underwhelming weekend in a row. Movies don't recover from two underwhelming weekends like this.

Agreed. TDKR is showing all the signs of a finish around the $430-440m mark right now. I think if it's lucky it can hit 450m, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Why would you congrat him? He only got this right because of a freak accident.

Not really. Even if TDKR had no mitigating circumstances it was not hitting 600 mill. I didn't even have it hitting 500 mill. BKB's posting style was arrogant and stupid at times, but his reasons, along with Mav's on this one were bang on. Law of averages dictates that TDKR would have somewhat of a drop and TA would be a perfect storm of everything that is good about the box office. Those two nailed it while the rest of us didn't see it the way they did.
  • Like 2

Agreed. TDKR is showing all the signs of a finish around the $430-440m mark right now. I think if it's lucky it can hit 450m, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Honestly I would be very happy with $425m considering the circumstances. Media should be ashamed of themselves how they've covered the story. It wasn't the movie theater massacre, it was the "Batman movie massacre." Bullshit.

Yes I know many of us had higher expectations because it was Batman, in BSG I had it at 495, that likely won't happen. But let's say it finishes around 430 million. That's still a terrific number and it's still in exclusive company. Disappointment won't be a word that enters my vocabulary for the box office of this film.

Edited by DAR

Just to switch it up a bit, Madea is going to finish close to 65 mill. That franchise is like the Energizer bunny.

LOL That's just crazy. Did you like the movie? My daughter wants to see it.

Honestly I would be very happy with $425m considering the circumstances. Media should be ashamed of themselves how they've covered the story. It wasn't the movie theater massacre, it was the "Batman movie massacre." Bullshit.

I don't think it will have much of an effect going forward. It should effect the whole movie industry, not just 1 movie. You're not safer sitting in Ice Age 4 than TDKR. All movie theaters are the same. So we should see this effect either with an across the board decline in attendance or it should stabilize.Note from Disney: Except for Brave. Disney movies are extra safe. That's Brave....now playing in a theater near you.Note 2 from Disney: Also The Avengers is extra safe. Did anything bad happen to you the previous 4 times you saw The Avengers? No because it is extra safe. So see The Avengers a 5th time. That's The Avengers....now playing in a theater near you. Edited by Walt Disney

Not really. Even if TDKR had no mitigating circumstances it was not hitting 600 mill. I didn't even have it hitting 500 mill. BKB's posting style was arrogant and stupid at times, but his reasons, along with Mav's on this one were bang on. Law of averages dictates that TDKR would have somewhat of a drop and TA would be a perfect storm of everything that is good about the box office. Those two nailed it while the rest of us didn't see it the way they did.

That's again a pointless argument. All the previous prediction we had can be thrown out of the window. You can't say whether it would have hit 500m or 600m as we don't know. I say it could and you have no proof that I'm wrong. I don't have proof that you're wrong either. We don't know. Why can't we accept it and just move on with the facts?

I don't think it will have much of an effect going forward. It should effect the whole movie industry, not just 1 movie. You're not safer sitting in Ice Age 4 than TDKR. All movie theaters are the same. So we should see this effect either with an across the board decline in attendance or it should stabilize.Note from Disney: Except for Brave. Disney movies are extra safe. That's Brave....now playing in a theater near you.

The issue is copycat shooters targeting TDKR specifically, and the fact that many people will be paranoid about this particular film as a result. One guy already got arrested over the weekend for threatening to use a gun at a TDKR showing. The other issue is there are people out there boycotting TDKR because they blame it for the shooting. It's not right, but that kind of logic does exist.

LOL That's just crazy. Did you like the movie? My daughter wants to see it.

I didn't like it as much as some of the others. Goes to Jail and Big Happy Family are my faves. This is still worth seeing but it's like Madea light. She doesn't have any epic meltdowns in this one and I missed that about the movie. Again, it is worth seeing because it's not terrible, but it did let me down a bit.

Yes it's very unfair the backlash the movie had to suffer because of the incident, that's for sure. I think the media has stopped referring to it as the "Batman movie massacre" though. I haven't seen it used for a while.

That's again a pointless argument. All the previous prediction we had can be thrown out of the window. You can't say whether it would have hit 500m or 600m as we don't know. I say it could and you have no proof that I'm wrong. I don't have proof that you're wrong either. We don't know. Why can't we accept it and just move on with the facts?

IMO, it had zero chance of hitting 600 mill.
  • Like 2

The issue is copycat shooters targeting TDKR specifically, and the fact that many people will be paranoid about this particular film as a result. One guy already got arrested over the weekend for threatening to use a gun at a TDKR showing. The other issue is there are people out there boycotting TDKR because they blame it for the shooting. It's not right, but that kind of logic does exist.

I believe you, but I haven't seen that with any of my friends. That might really hurt The Expendables 2 though.

Yes it's very unfair the backlash the movie had to suffer because of the incident, that's for sure. I think the media has stopped referring to it as the "Batman movie massacre" though. I haven't seen it used for a while.

Damage already done. The two are inextricably linked, unfortunately. I think it's ridiculous that WB can't even market their movie through TV advertising even while the media (1) blames their movie for the shooting and (2) puts headlines up with the movie's name linked to the shooting. It's a tidal wave of negative propaganda. Edited by redfirebird2008

IMO, it had zero chance of hitting 600 mill.

Does anyone else hate how you start posting and out of nowhere, Baumer posts a few times and all of a sudden you used up all your Likes? You never see the brilliance coming and you can't prepare yourself for it. Chewy does is too. I haven't learned how to resist hitting the "Like" button when they post.
  • Like 1