CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

10-15m is what everyone is saying the tradegy cost OW. I sense a strong 2nd weekend since those people who skipped OW because of the shooting will actually go this weekend.

Let me put it this way: I live in Aurora, the city it happened in. Every person I know who wanted to see it but hasn't yet has plans to eventually see the movie, most of them within the week. You guys are kidding yourself if you think this will keep people who want to see it away from it forever.

• Like 1

Let me put it this way: I live in Aurora, the city it happened in. Every person I know who wanted to see it but hasn't yet has plans to eventually see the movie, most of them within the week. You guys are kidding yourself if you think this will keep people who want to see it away from it forever.

I think plenty of them will just rent it now instead of watching in the theater.

I'm waiting for your evidence after you arrogantly called the 500m predictions delusional.
  • Like 1

They might see if they're fans and have been looking forward to it for months, but if they are casual audiences and were sitting on the fence, I'm afraid they might never come back.

The disgusting thing is your arrogance, MovieMan. You call the 500m predictors delusional and you come up with a big fat lie that you had evidence all along. Let's hear it.

Actually you're the one being arrogant (among other less admirable traits) here over your insistence that the tragedy alone is what has caused you to fall flat on your face with your 200m/600m predictions with the film. I'm simply calling you out and saying I don't like you using the tragedy that happened in my community as a shield for it. As for the evidence I'm referring to, it's not just me that gave plenty of reasons why TDKR wouldn't come close to TDK's box office success in the past several months. Plenty of us did, and I'm sure you can find walls of text on the matter here if you just take a little time to look it up. I'm not gonna bother repeating it. Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

Movie man,We all feel for the families and friends of the tragedy. So this isn't nothing against Aurora.I live in NYC, top 5 city most likely to get a terrorist attack. That scares no one from doing what they do on a daily basis. This tragedy will affect this movie's total gross but not by much. I expect at least a $450m gross.

• Like 1

TDKR would have made 500m without the shootings. I am sure of it. The UK and Australia openings really show this

I guess we should wait and see what it does before we truly even discuss the matter. If it was gonna get 500m without the tragedy it should be able to leg its way to at least $460m. Otherwise it wasn't hitting 500 irregardless.

Movie man,We all feel for the families and friends of the tragedy. So this isn't nothing against Aurora.I live in NYC, top 5 city most likely to get a terrorist attack. That scares no one from doing what they do on a daily basis. This tragedy will affect this movie's total gross but not by much.I expect at least a $450m gross.

Thank you, appreciate it, and you make a completely valid point. NYC is one of the scariest cities to live in, but it doesn't stop people from living their lives. TDKR was affected by this no doubt, especially on OW, but to say it drastically altered the entire course of its box office are people using the tragedy for more devious means. And I'll make no bones about it in saying I don't like that at all.

TDKR would have made 500m without the shootings. I am sure of it. The UK and Australia openings really show this

I agree. The strong UK and Australia OWs mean the USA OW should have been higher. We will fully see when the UK and Australian cinema runs fizzle out and then see how behind TDKR is in the USA when comparing markets. Edited by JCS

Actually you're the one being arrogant (among other less admirable traits) here over your insistence that the tragedy alone is what has caused you to fall flat on your face with your 200m/600m predictions with the film. I'm simply calling you out and saying I don't like you using the tragedy that happened in my community as a shield for it. As for the evidence I'm referring to, it's not just me that gave plenty of reasons why TDKR wouldn't come close to TDK's box office success in the past several months. Plenty of us did, and I'm sure you can find walls of text on the matter here if you just take a little time to look it up. I'm not gonna bother repeating it.

Now you're just acting a complete prick for some reason. Would you just stop lying, that is really unheard of in a box office forum. Not sure if you were taught how to read at school, but all of my post clearly state that I do not wish to quantify the number and I wish to ignore all the previous predictions and take the numbers as they are. We don't use the tragedy as shield for anything, because there's nothing that we need to hide or be disappointed about other than the fact that the media just wouldn't STFU about the shooting. I have said many times, it's quite arrogant to call well established authors delusional including this site's publishers. You mentioned clear evidence for sub-500m all along. I'm still waiting for you to share them. Edited by The Dark Alfred

With my earlier post....For example, TDK made about 16% of the USA gross in the UK (around $89M) so the TDKR should have a similar % by the final gross. And if the final % figure is a lot higher then we know the USA TDKR run under-performed!

10-15m is what everyone is saying the tradegy cost OW. I sense a strong 2nd weekend since those people who skipped OW because of the shooting will actually go this weekend.

In some way, it reminds me of when Puss 'N Boots opened. That was the weekend when that abnormal freak snowstorm knocked out pretty much all the power in the Northeast region, preventing people from going out and deflating the opening weekend number. Then the second weekend had a very miniscule drop. Obviously we won't expect as miniscule a drop given the nature of the film and the circumstances of the deflated opening weekend, but just a drop that's deflated from what it would have been.Plus there's also word of Christian Bale, aka Batman to the public, visiting the victims today, which could add some positive buzz for the movie going into the weekend, even if Bale's visit wasn't meant to directly create such buzz.

The media is profiting off the Aurora shooting so I'm sure they want to exploit it anyway they can.However, this is a tradegy and one must always think about real life before fiction entertainment. Before the shootings, I really wanted this movie to hit $200m+. All that matters now is that we pray and give our sympathy for the family and friends of the ones who died. Of course, one can make the argument that this is a Box Office forum and people can still give their opinions, tradegy or not. Just don't put the incident in the wrong context.However

• Like 3