CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

^That is hardly the point or relevant. Who cares what kind of movie a shooter would target? Families were scared off. That would been more damaging for Avengers than Batman by a large amount.It isn't spin, just a noteworthy point. TDKR was said to have first choice interest 7% higher than Avengers. which was/is amazing. If anyone needs evidence, look no further than the fact that it did $160 million worth of business despite the shooting. Even with the biggest film buzzkill since 9/11, it opens to 160 million.That IS extremely impressive. Even with with 3d, Avengers doesn't hit that in the same circumstance.

The Avengers could have arguably been hit worse (though probably not down to 160M) than TDKR since families probably made up a larger portion of its potential audience.

The floor for TDKR was 160 million. Avengers floor was considerably lower. Should it have had the shooting stead, I think it opens in the high 140s/low 150s. It would have missed out on 50 million +. Edited by ExcelFTW

I am shocked that people are still trying to argue the shooting had little effect. Despite the very weak Non midnight Friday business, reports of poor walk ups all over the country and especially in Middle America. The fact TDKR opened on par with Avengers even in Asia. That doesn't mean TDKR would definitely have opened on par with AVengers domestically, but to pretend there was no effect is pretty serious.y

Uh, not when you've been reading his nerdrage for the last few days.

Please direct me to a post where I have shown anything like "nerdrage," because I couldn't give a flying fuck about Batman or Christopher Nolan. If it's "nerdrage" to try to engage you in a debate with logic and facts then fine, I guess I'm guilty. So far though your argument consists of "Heath Ledger" and "stupid Nolanites."

The floor for TDKR was 160 million. Avengers floor was considerably lower. Should it have had the shooting stead, I think it opens in the high 140s/low 150s. It would have missed out on 50 million +.

These numbers seem rather arbitrary and nonsensical.Maybe we should all just agree that "How would a massacre impact other movies?" is not the most fruitful of tangents for us to explore

Does my post really give you this image? Your arguments have been simply pitiful, piss poor.

Lol, say that when TDKR finishes around 390-430m. You will never admit the joker, dead celebrity hype, and a much better reception than TDKR gave TDK a huge advantage at the BO, and you're still desperately trying to say the shooting cost this movie a ridiculous 40m+ on OW. I'm really looking forward to your excuses in the coming weeks. Edited by Shpongle

These numbers seem rather arbitrary and nonsensical.Maybe we should all just agree that "How would a massacre impact other movies?" is not the most fruitful of tangents for us to explore

You're right, sorry I speculated on it.

Lol, say that when TDKR finishes around 390-430m. You will never admit the joker, dead celebrity hype, and a much better reception than TDKR gave TDK a huge advantage at the BO, and you're still desperately trying to say the shooting cost this movie 40m+ on OW. I'm really looking forward to your excuses in the coming weeks.

If TDKR actually falls into that range I'll admit something other than the shooting played a large role. Frankly though none of those factors would impact opening weekend when TDKR comes off such a well-regarded predecssor and isn't by any means receiving toxic WOM. I'm amused by how desperate you are to cast me as some vitriolic fantroll. I never even said the impact was 40M.

30 mil shaved off is reasonable. It would hit 190 based off of BOG's early Friday 'high 80s' projection. From what RTH posted TDKR did even/better business than Avengers in top markets so middle America business must have been really hit by the shootings.

But it wasn't hitting 200 mil because it probably couldn't ever hit 200 mil. Only with 3D.

I vehemently disagree. I believe the Aurora tragedy might of cost TDKR an eXtra $10-15m... tops! And maybe, just maybe, middle America wasn't as interested in this urban thriller as U.S. city dwellers were.

If TDKR actually falls into that range I'll admit something other than the shooting played a large role. Frankly though none of those factors would impact opening weekend when TDKR comes off such a well-regarded predecssor and isn't by any means receiving toxic WOM. I'm amused by how desperate you are to cast me as some vitriolic fantroll. I never even said the impact was 40M.

You've been saying forever that this would've done around 195-200mOW and that anyone who says the movie would've done anything under 180m without the shooting is an idiot. Nice try douche.

You've been saying forever that this would've done around 195-200mOW and that anyone who says the movie would've done anything under 180m without the shooting is an idiot. Nice try douche.

Try looking in this fucking thread where I say 200M would have been tough. And I will continue to say anyone who thinks under 180M was ever going to happen is an idiot because literally every indicator we had pointed to a weekend at or above the attendance record, as dozens of posters have tried to prove to you to no avail. You must have reading comprehension problems.
  • Like 2

Try looking in this fucking thread where I say 200M would have been tough. And I will continue to say anyone who thinks under 180M was ever going to happen is an idiot because literally every indicator we had pointed to a weekend at or above the attendance record, as dozens of posters have tried to prove to you to no avail. You must have reading comprehension problems.

You got the memory span of a fly or something? Go read your posts. To summarize a few of them... "200m would've been tough but I think it could've done around 195m and anyone who thinks 180m or under is frankly an idiot."Keep contradicting yourself. Edited by Shpongle

No need for name calling.Thinking it out logically, 10 million lost just seems...low. One can argue it was lack of interest or whatever, but the initial signs all say otherwise. That's all.The initial reports for Friday all point towards 85+, but as the news spread, the people stopped going, and it came in a shocking 10 million under initial estimates. 30 million midnights. Avengers midnights were 23%, Potter 47%. Batman's should have been in the middle, maybe 35%? That would give an opening day in the mid to 80s, which gels with initial crowd reports.Saturday was similar, with low crowd reports from all around, stating families were avoiding the theater like the plague. This wasn't a Pixar movie, but thinking it would have other wise done at least another $5 million in family business isn't much.But to each their own.

Edited by ExcelFTW