CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

I don't think you want us to dredge up BKB's predictions for Incredible Hulk and The Dark Knight. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Funny you should chime in...you're quite the star in that thread yourself! :)

Yeah, BKB can't get any credit for his TDKR prediction. The movie failed on OW for entirely extraordinary reasons. The reason why it disappointed had nothing to do with box office.

I don't think you want us to dredge up BKB's predictions for Incredible Hulk and The Dark Knight. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

that generally cracked me up

And Disney...thanks for the link to that blast from the past thread. It's too bad that BKB couldn't rein in his abrasive and at times inappropriate style because the dude was dead on with his predictions of what would make Avengers so popular. Also interesting to see how consistent some of the Nolan fans have been in their defense of TDKR.

You're welcome. And you're right, some of the Nolan fans in that thread were very consistent in their TDKR defenses (or closed-minded might be the better word) and BKB's reasons for TA's success were dead on. He was using the right factors and giving them their proper weight. Edited by Walt Disney

I'm only 25 pages into the thread but it's interesting to see how he defended TA against all comers when pretty much NO ONE gave it any sort of chance other than a backhanded 'well I guess miracles COULD happen' sort of comment. I paraphrase but the comments from him that jump out at me are those about audiences being tired of dark and gritty and wanting to have fun, and the somewhat lackluster casting and previews of TDKR at the time.

I'm only 25 pages into the thread but it's interesting to see how he defended TA against all comers when pretty much NO ONE gave it any sort of chance other than a backhanded 'well I guess miracles COULD happen' sort of comment.I paraphrase but the comments from him that jump out at me are those about audiences being tired of dark and gritty and wanting to have fun, and the somewhat lackluster casting and previews of TDKR at the time.

Dexter of Suburbia is hilarious in that thread too. I'm not sure if you got up to it by now or not, but he gets so annoyed at BKB's style that he decides to mess with him. Everything Dexter says is just to annoy BKB and it is trolling, but it's so hilarious. Edited by Walt Disney

I'm only 25 pages into the thread but it's interesting to see how he defended TA against all comers when pretty much NO ONE gave it any sort of chance other than a backhanded 'well I guess miracles COULD happen' sort of comment.I paraphrase but the comments from him that jump out at me are those about audiences being tired of dark and gritty and wanting to have fun, and the somewhat lackluster casting and previews of TDKR at the time.

Lackluster casting? In what way? The film is loaded with Oscar winners and great actors in general. As far as BKB goes, I'll go ahead do it since you want to keep pushing the issue. He predicted $500m for Incredible Hulk. He does it for every movie he supports, no matter what. Difference with Avengers is it actually delivered on his prediction for once. It is a great movie with great dialogue and humor, and ironically a much better version of the Hulk than TIH gave us 4 years ago.

Posted Image

Thank you for continuely sharing your deep and meaningful insight in this thread. I like to think that any knowledge of film I've managed to obtain is because I'm standing on the shoulders of giants like yourself.

I like BKB's TASM prediction more. He predicted huge numbers for it to piss off the TDKR fans and say it was going to hurt it when it opened then turned around destroyed TASM after it got released. He played both sides of the aisle then.

Lackluster casting? In what way? The film is loaded with Oscar winners and great actors in general. As far as BKB goes, I'll go ahead do it since you want to keep pushing the issue. He predicted $500m for Incredible Hulk. He does it for every movie he supports, no matter what. Difference with Avengers is it actually delivered on his prediction for once. It is a great movie with great dialogue and humor, and ironically a much better version of the Hulk than TIH gave us 4 years ago.

LOL...I just got to page 24 of the thread and BKB just said something along the lines of 'the excellent Norton Hulk'. Something I can't entirely agree with....I thought it was very poorly cast....EVERYONE was a square peg in a round hole IMO...except maybe their choice for Thunderbolt Ross.But my original point stands up to page 24....he called the perfect storm of TA's appeal quite well. Some people I admire got TA wrong as well...no shame in that. I'm not good at financial predictions at all so I can hardly blame them for being surprised.