Hope Springs  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Rate 'Hope Springs'

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones are old. This film explores a husband and wife's marriage especially in the love department. In his best old coot impression Tommy Lee Jones rocks as his wife, Meryl Streep pushes him into a experimental marriage counselor that she found out by reading his book.He has so many one liners he could write a paragraph. His humor keeps the film going through half the film as the couple tries different situations to try and spark the love again. There have been some cathartic scenes in the most recent feminine movies like Bridemaid's diarrhea scenes, The Help's pie scene, well Hope Springs definitely has such a scene and it happens in a movie theater. :) It is definitely watercooler talk worthy. Then the film takes a turn. It is so subtle. You may miss it, but Tommy Lee Jones' old coot antics suddenly don't become funny. They are sad. It looks like he will never learn. But will he? I know I have praised Jones ad nauseum but Streep more then held her own in a more understated but emotionally strong performance. Also, Carrell did nice as the marriage counselor, he has his quirks as usual, but he is also very understated. I think he should take on more roles like this as his usual "shtick" has gotten a bit tired.
  • Like 1

I think this is an incredibly brave role for Jones and Streep. I was literally blown away at some of the risks they take in the movie. Theres a liot of frank discussion in here about sex. I do agree the script needed a bit more fleshing out but its a very honest and painful film to watch.7/10

• Like 1

Because as good as it was to watch the actors act it out the script was not as tight as it needed to be. I still enjoyed it. And it was a risky movie. But it just needed a bit more fine tuning.

Agreed with B. This is the bravest studio comedy-drama I've seen in quite some time. This felt like a very real relationship and Streep and Jones worked the hell out of it. That doesn't mean it wasn't boring, because real life is boring (that's why we go to movies!). The pace was glacial and the script needed work. But it's a very admirable effort.

• Like 1

just finished watching this, and i laughed my head off but there were also moments that were more drama oriented,and to be honest a bit pathetic /sad but maybe this view is because i'm still young and don't have the experience of a long mariage behind me!it was also very emotional and real matter-a-fact way , i agree jones and streep acting caliber gives this movie a better feel, i don't think i would have liked it or it would have worked as well with less seasoned actors or your usual young beautiful in your forties couple!the soundtrack was awful , i get the script wasnt as tight as it could be but the music choice was like a cell phone ringing in a jane austen filmi clapped at the end though bravo to both for taking on such a risky role, that theatre scene was just too much , others made me a bit uncomfortable but i think it has to do with a lack of this kind of movie being made where relationships of certain age is the focus, and also not seeing these two in such explicit scenes, although i was reminded of that film she did with alec baldwin "its complicated" and she looked way better(different character i guess and take on life also)one peeve her hair was unappetizing as could possibly be...esp when you know that meryl is not ugly and cleans up really nice depending on role!i loved that despite her despair she kept trying even when it seemed impossible and the contrast with her husband stubborness and unwillingness to take on change or see reality, he did what he could even if it took him more time to get around!very enjoyable film that portrays what happens after kids are gone , and even the bubble of the honeymoon phase is so long gone you can hardly remember what its like, i even thought they might divorce, it would have been a very possible alternate ending , and had that been the end it still wouldnt have been as depressing as "blue valentine"( now that movie sent me on a happy rom-com binge for the rest of the weekend)

• Like 1

The best work from Streep and Jones in quite a while, but good lord for a film that's only like 100 minutes it feels like it drags. And I also agree with others that he script could've fleshed out the relationship more. Also the soundtrack is unbearable.

• Like 1