Sims

Boxoffice.com's Top 100 Films -- 2013 THREAD TO START SOON! POSSIBLE RULE CHANGES ON PG. 50

Maybe just make it top 20 or something to make it easy for people. You'd still have over a hundred films in the end.

I gave people the option to do Top 20s (or 30, 50, etc.) last year. I'd prefer that people come up with full lists, but I understand that obviously not everyone has the time/energy to do that.

kj top 100:

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33704

i mean i doubt the final results end up much different, but i just prefer the scoring for some reason :P

also kj had an additional round of balloting so that the final lists were only selected from a group of a few hundred pre-voted films, but i didn't like that much

• Like 1

That's an interesting suggestion, lisa. Do you have a link to the KJ thread? I'd like to see how it worked out for them.

Punishment: I definitely want to discourage people from submitting unranked lists. Scoring got a little confusing. I don't know yet if I want to ban it outright, though.

You could go with Lisa's suggestion and require at least the top 20 or 25 to be ranked.  I just think that the unranked lists skew the numbers.  Thanks again for doing this as I know it is a big task.

Unranked lists should definitely be banned since it messes with results.

I think you should encourage people to submit a Top 50 at least, since doing only a Top 25 gives those films a lot more weight compared to films submitted by people who do a Top 50, 75, or 100.

What does everyone think? Should I keep scoring the same (#1=100 pts, #100=1 pt, etc.) but require that all lists are ranked? Or should I allow people to submit unranked films (provided that they rank their top 25) and use a KJ-style scoring system (#1=5 pts., #2-3=4 pts, #26-100=1 pt, etc.)?

Edited by Sims

I think that a KJ system would be nice. I think that the top 10 (or even top 15 or 25) should be weighed more heavily than the rest because those are generally the films that people are pretty damn sure of their ranks. So possibly something like 20 points for #1 down to 6 points for #15, and then 16-32 would get 5 points, 33-49 would get 4 points, 50-66 would get 3 points, 67-83 would get 2 points, and 84-100 would get 1 point. (the remaining 85 ranks were divided evenly into 5 portions and then assigned point values) 

I think that a KJ system would be nice. I think that the top 10 (or even top 15 or 25) should be weighed more heavily than the rest because those are generally the films that people are pretty damn sure of their ranks. So possibly something like 20 points for #1 down to 6 points for #15, and then 16-32 would get 5 points, 33-49 would get 4 points, 50-66 would get 3 points, 67-83 would get 2 points, and 84-100 would get 1 point. (the remaining 85 ranks were divided evenly into 5 portions and then assigned point values) 

the problem with that is that people would still be required to rank pretty much all 100 movies which will probably result in less interest...i think the majority of films should be 1 point

the problem with that is that people would still be required to rank pretty much all 100 movies which will probably result in less interest...i think the majority of films should be 1 point

I think that unfairly benefits some movies because something like Enfants Du Paradis which is ~19 on the list getting the same number of points as The Man with the Camera which is ~95 is a travesty. I think that such a large gulf exists between the two that it is completely unfair to give them the same number of points. And I don't think that it would drive away people. No one has to rank 100 films. They can rank as many films as they want (well maybe a minimum of 20-25) but it has to be ranked. I dislike doing this without rankings, but I do agree that it shouldn't be rank 100 or nothing.

I'm drafting the rules for this year's thread, and these are the two major changes that I've made at this point. I want to use a scoring system that is somewhere in between the KJ scale and riczhang's suggestion. I'd love to hear you guys' feedback before I go ahead and start the voting. Please let me know what you think!

-Scoring will be significantly different for this year's list. Points will be allocated to the films on each list as follows:

#1 - 10 points

#2-3 - 9 points

#4-7 - 8 points

#8-12 - 7 points

#13-18 - 6 points

#19-25 - 5 points

#26-40 - 4 points

#41-60 - 3 points

#61-80 - 2 points

#81-100 - 1 point

-UNRANKED LISTS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED. Scoring unranked lists got a little muddled last year, and I don't really see a way to score them fairly. However, because of the new scoring criteria, you may submit ranked "groupings" of films rather than a fully ranked top 100. So if, for example, you have 20 films that you know you want to be at the bottom of a top 100, you may submit them as an unranked group, since the films at ranks 81-100 will all be receiving one point anyway.

Edited by Sims
  • Like 1