Neo

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. | August 14, 2015 | Comic-Con Trailer on Page 21!

I disagree with this.

Kingsman is as spy movie as a spy movie gets.

Spy is a spy movie, obviously, but its selling point is the comedy, not just the action.

MI:RN is a spy movie too, but its selling point is the Mission Impossible sequel, it's not a "new" spy movie, but a continuation of a series.

Mission Impossible movies since Ghost Protocol seems to be turning into a Fast & Furious movies where the stunts are really the focus. 

• Like 1

Mission Impossible movies since Ghost Protocol seems to be turning into a Fast & Furious movies where the stunts are really the focus.

There hasn't even been a MI movie since Ghost Protocol (yet). I wouldn't make that comparison myself until I've at least seen the movie but I can understand where you're coming from. Because of the amazing Burj Khalifa stunt, this trailer really wants to focus on the plane stunt in this one. But you can't blame it exactly; movies have always wanted to show off their "money shots" in the trailers.
  • Like 1

What's so special about Brazil that they screened 28 minutes of footage.

Joking aside, that is a good question. Apparently Cavill ( and the rest of the cast?) are going to be heavily promoting the movie in Brazil.

There's a special Russian trailer. WB must be expecting good things internationally.

I hope it  is OK to post this here. It seems that many people don't know the history behind the UNCLE movie.

Several years ago, it was Stephen Soderbergh's project with George Clooney as Solo. Eventually Clooney dropped out as he thought he was too old for the role. Soderbergh then approached Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper. Cooper wasn't interested, Gosling was but scheduling was a nightmare. Frustrated Soderbergh left the film.

Guy Ritchie became the director and offered the leads to Michael Fassbender and Alexander Skarsgard, both actors were keen, but WB vetoed their casting. Ritchie considered leaving the project at this point, but his business partner pointed out that Tom Cruise was looking for a new franchise. TC was a big fan of the original TV series and admired Ritchie as a director. Ritchie was delighted to have Cruise in the lead and Armie Hammer was signed to play Illya.

At the last minute Cruise's commitments to Mission Impossible Rogue Nation forced him to drop out and Henry Cavill ( who had been considered to play Illya opposite Cruise) was cast as Napoleon Solo.

When Cruise dropped out the budget was cut by  10 million ( more? can't remember) and the movie release kept being changed. Test screenings delighted audiences and WB moved the date from January to August.

Hope its not too OT to post this here but some might find it helpful.

• Like 1

Wait, WB didn't want Fassbender and Skarsgard but they settled for Caville and Hammer after Tom dropped out? :wacko:

I don't know why at all...just reporting the story

maybe they saw that cavill and Hammer would be good in the roles for a smaller budget film, then audience reaction convinced them that the film might be big

Edited by sambullus

I imagine Cavill is considerably cheaper than Cruise hence why they cut the budget but $75m is still pretty decent, Kingsman was $81m so it has a good chance of making back its budget and then some.

I read after Cruise left WB wanted the budget cut to $60m (from $90m) but it wound up at $75