8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Arbitrage is a tough name to pronounce. It take some tough subject matter but oh boy does it satisfy. Arbitrage is the story of a hedge fund manager that seems to be living an idyllic life, till an accident starts the dominoes falling as his life slowly unfurls.

This is Richard Gere's best performance in years. I always remembered him as the dad in romantic comedies but this movie blows all that away. Robert Miller is equal manic, smart, on the edge, and complete at the same time. Every scene he carries. The decisions he makes effect everyone in the story. It's great to see.

I would be remiss to not mention at least some of the rest of the cast, Brit Marling from Another Earth plays his daughter and is as great as advertised. Nate Parker from Red Tails plays the unlikely hero. Tim Roth and Monica Raymond from Lie To me both show well, Roth moreso as he carries some of the same swagger Lightman had with a Boston accent.

This movie also was surpisingly quotable. "Motherfucker I'm Black!"

I felt the best part of the movie was it's ending. It'll probably be a bit divisive but to em, it just said, ho hum business as usual. Rich guys do whatever they want and someone else takes the fall. It really worked.

I give it a B+. It's themes give ya something to think about long past the end.

I intend to one day. How did you watch it? Did you go to the theaters or watch it on demand?

I watched it in a theater at one of our art house places. I figured I'd pay 6.50 and see it on screen rather than 6.99 plus tax on itunes. Anyway, this was a really strong movie. Gere was great, and I usually don't care for him. Interesting story. My only complaint is that sometimes the switches within the story (the kid's trial, etc) took away from the strong stuff from Gere's character's standpoint.A-

I watched it in a theater at one of our art house places. I figured I'd pay 6.50 and see it on screen rather than 6.99 plus tax on itunes. Anyway, this was a really strong movie. Gere was great, and I usually don't care for him. Interesting story. My only complaint is that sometimes the switches within the story (the kid's trial, etc) took away from the strong stuff from Gere's character's standpoint.A-

Looks interesting to me. I want to watch it.

very interesting film, i give it an A because i love richard gere and he really gives dept to this role and carries the film from beginning to end, there were a few clichés but they didnt take away from my entertainment , its not the subject matter so much as how you tell it /your take on a good old wall street occurence!

the businessmen were pretty cynic throughout see and don't see magic trick ...

in the end they all got what they wanted and as long as they gained the rest didnt matter !

the wife i thought was nice but then she turns out to be just as cynic and greedy as the rest, just because he hurt your daughter your taking him to the cleaners in a divorce while previously she was happy to turn an eye, ahh go figure one's moral highground and limits pfff

i was happy that as cold conniving and having a powerful sense of survival and self-preservation gere's character genuinely cared about his driver's kid and was willing to come clean to get him out of trouble....after all the kid only did him a favor

police wasn't above reproach either in this film , a case of being black and in wrong place means its ok to screw with him to get a bigger fish not cool

and totally OT richard gere is still HOT :wub:

that flock of hair hmmmmmm,....

ok ok movie was a solid A good acting good pace good directing and use of ny city

i also give it an A because its that good compare to say wall street 2 which bored me out of my mind still don't know how i force myself to watch that till the end!

Edited by ladyevenstar22

Arbitrage is an alright thriller, but its really nothing spectacular. Its pretty average, in fact. To me the movie actually felt like the 100 minute pilot episode of a tv series with high production values, even down to the cinematography and the generic score. I feel like such a bad critic right now, but this movie just never gripped me, or made me invested in the story. I acknowledge that its well written and paced and edited and so on, but I honestly dont think I'll remember this thing next week.

The acting is good, that I'll give the movie. Richard Gere is terrific in the lead role (despite his gratuitous blinking), and he delivers a pretty charismatic and interesting performance. I also liked the reliably good Susan Sarandon as his wife, and Nate Parker too. The weakest link of the otherwise good cast has to be Tim Roth, who just seemed bored to be there. He does a corrupt New York cop so generic that I expected him to go "Bada bing bada bong" any second. Oh, a minor complaint here. I dont usually mind swearing in movies, but in Arbitrage they say fuck way too much. It felt unnecessary, and they easily could have made this a PG-13 without the it suffering one bit. 

So I'd say if you're into this kind stuff, give it a rent. I personally didn't get much from it, and I'm honestly a bit baffled by the critical praise the movie has been getting.

2,5/5

Edited by Jack Nevada

Arbitrage is an alright thriller, but its really nothing spectacular. Its pretty average, in fact. To me the movie actually felt like the 100 minute pilot episode of a tv series with high production values, even down to the cinematography and the generic score. I feel like such a bad critic right now, but this movie just never gripped me, or made me invested in the story. I acknowledge that its well written and paced and edited and so on, but I honestly dont think I'll remember this thing next week.

The acting is good, that I'll give the movie. Richard Gere is terrific in the lead role (despite his gratuitous blinking), and he delivers a pretty charismatic and interesting performance. I also liked the reliably good Susan Sarandon as his wife, and Nate Parker too. The weakest link of the otherwise good cast has to be Tim Roth, who just seemed bored to be there. He does a corrupt New York cop so generic that I expected him to go "Bada bing bada bong" any second. Oh, a minor complaint here. I dont usually mind swearing in movies, but in Arbitrage they say fuck way too much. It felt unnecessary, and they easily could have made this a PG-13 without the it suffering one bit. 

So I'd say if you're into this kind stuff, give it a rent. I personally didn't get much from it, and I'm honestly a bit baffled by the critical praise the movie has been getting.

2,5/5

Can't please everybody. To each his own. If you didn't like it you didn't like it.

Arbitrage is an alright thriller, but its really nothing spectacular. Its pretty average, in fact. To me the movie actually felt like the 100 minute pilot episode of a tv series with high production values, even down to the cinematography and the generic score. I feel like such a bad critic right now, but this movie just never gripped me, or made me invested in the story. I acknowledge that its well written and paced and edited and so on, but I honestly dont think I'll remember this thing next week.The acting is good, that I'll give the movie. Richard Gere is terrific in the lead role (despite his gratuitous blinking), and he delivers a pretty charismatic and interesting performance. I also liked the reliably good Susan Sarandon as his wife, and Nate Parker too. The weakest link of the otherwise good cast has to be Tim Roth, who just seemed bored to be there. He does a corrupt New York cop so generic that I expected him to go "Bada bing bada bong" any second. Oh, a minor complaint here. I dont usually mind swearing in movies, but in Arbitrage they say fuck way too much. It felt unnecessary, and they easily could have made this a PG-13 without the it suffering one bit. So I'd say if you're into this kind stuff, give it a rent. I personally didn't get much from it, and I'm honestly a bit baffled by the critical praise the movie has been getting.2,5/5

You bitch

Solid Thriller B+Lol as a Business Grad, the ethic violations were just hilarious to see...It shows how in business, people are willing to throw their morals and ethics out if they believe whatever they are doing does no real harm...Quite an interesting take on ethics and morality...Even though the main characters has done many terribile things you still see he is trying to achieve and end goal for the greater good...His justification is quite simple, the things he did wrong were bad but by exposing them things become much worse for his family and his business.... Interesting...