48 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Algren was Unagi, hmmmm. So has he just created a new account?

As much as the guy was annoying(he was trolling me in the Wolverine thread) his Dredd review here is fair.

Even though I think some of his complaints about the movie are laughable, I knew he would like it overall when he finally saw it. He just needed to take off the Stallone glasses and give it a chance.

I have to admit, I loved Dredd. Great, high octane action, and finally I can rid myself of the image of Sylvester Stallone in the role (the movie wasn't bad, but very typical of 1990s action). I know some complained about Urban's line delivery (hell even his chin) but I thought he did great with limited development (adhering to the comic book from what I understand) and Headey was effective as an interesting but prototypical villain. But above all else, the visual effects especially during the "slo-mo" sequences was amazing.

This is an easy Day 1 purchase.

****¼/*****, (B+/A-, 8.7/10, 3.5/4)

Edited by The Movieman

Good movie. My only two complaints (one major, one minor):

The protagonist was woefully under-written. Ten more minutes in act one of getting to know Dredd would have helped a lot.

Avon Barksdale was totally wasted.

Otherwise it's well shot, well acted and well scripted.

Score: B

Good movie. My only two complaints (one major, one minor):

The protagonist was woefully under-written. Ten more minutes in act one of getting to know Dredd would have helped a lot.

Avon Barksdale was totally wasted.

Otherwise it's well shot, well acted and well scripted.

Score: B

I think Dredd's dialogue and actions give a good idea of who he is.
  • Like 1

I think that was the point. Every superhero film spends a lot of screentime trying to get the audience to empathize with the man behind the mask. A scene early in Dredd suggests that we're going to read into Dredd's mind and then he immediately stops it. I found that refreshing. You don't want to care about a character who kills everyone in a brutal fashion. They don't want to make that element fun or rewarding for the audience.

Slo-mo of the year? Even Zack Snyder can't top that.

Please tell me you knew there was a drug in the movie that caused people to see time movie at 1/10th of normal speed.

Like to see way more of Dredd..

I'd love to see more as well, this was such a refreshing movie. It didn't even feel like a superhero movie. Instead a scifi film set in a grim future. Unforntunately this is not gonna happen due to the BO. Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

Please tell me you knew there was a drug in the movie that caused people to see time movie at 1/10th of normal speed.

That's still slo-mo right? I mean, one can agrue the Sucker Punch had all the slo-mo also for a reason despite that reason might sound lame.