A Marvel Fanboy

The A List

I think Tatum and Wahlberg at this time are about as A list as you can get. Wahlberg opens movies. You can slap his name above the title on a poster and that's enough to get people to come and see it. I'd argue that his name is a much easier ROI than Clooney's. And Tatum, who else right now can sell almost any kind of film? So that would make him A-list.

• Like 3

But Downey Jr doesn't have a hit outside of Iron Man and Sherlock so ...

Tropic Thunder- 25.8/110.5/188.1Due Date- 32.7/100.5/211.8Also, unlike Iron Man and The Avengers, which were both pre-sold comic book franchises, Sherlock Holmes' box office definitely can be attributed to his drawing power (because that literary franchise had faded away from US audiences long before). Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 3

Gosling is a dick. That`s no secret and it`s the reason why many big directors don`t want to work with him. So he ends up with those new hip ones and his cheerleaders go "oh he`s so ahead of his time" when in reality nobody likes a trouble-maker on the set but big guns have the luxary of ignoring one pricky talent and casting a cooperative another.

Edited by fishnets

Gosling is a dick. That`s no secret and it`s the reason why many big directors don`t want to work with him. So he ends up with those new hip ones and his cheerleaders go "oh he`s so ahead of his time" when in reality nobody likes a trouble-maker on the set but big guns have the luxary of ignoring one pricky talent and casting a cooperative another.

Where do you get some of this stuff from?

Yes,

Downey now is and that's why he is there.

We forgot

Tatum. He is more A lister than

Gosling.

Tatum has insane potential I agree

IF and that's a big IF he manages to keep at it for the next 3-5 years he's gonna make it

One hell of a year behind him for sure

Give Tatum til 2014 and he will be on the A-list.

I think there are many different definitions that can be used for this discussion (and clearly are being used).For me the big factor over A list is the 'name value'. An A lister's next film will be describe as 'the new Will Smith Movie' or 'the Johnny Depp Movie' as opposed to 'there's a new movie out with that guy from Twilight in it' or 'the new Harry Potter film'. I think this then needs to be combined with which actors increase an audience purely by being in the film?An actor could be in a string of big hits purely because his agent got him in the right films. If I had been the star of Avatar it would have still made $1B dollars, it was that kind of film. Whereas if MI4 had starred Colin Farrell or Drederick Tatum (or whatever he's called) it would have grossed less.I am a casual movie goer (who owns about 400 DVDs), I will be drawn to the cinema based on an actor and vice versa turned away based on an actor. I also believe there are genre specific A listers.The top Examples being Adam Sandler (Comedy), possibly put Ben Stiller in that same bracket and same genre.However there are a very select few actors out there that can draw a smash hit audience regardless of genre, these would be:SmithCruiseHanksDeppClooneyDowney JrI do not see Fassbender starring in a succesful Rom Com, or Sandler in an action movie any time soon.

For me the big factor over A list is the 'name value'.

I agree. Actors like Bale and Fassbender couldn't sell a film on their own, but their involvement in a project makes people pay more attention than they otherwise would have. 'Respect' can be just as important as bankablility, even if it's more ethereal. Edited by Hatebox

I agree. Actors like Bale and Fassbender couldn't sell a film on their own, but their involvement in a project makes people pay more attention than they otherwise would have. 'Respect' can be just as important as bankablility, even if it's more ethereal.

I agree. B-list stars also have respect, just not as much as A-list. Bale and Fassbender are still B-list stars. 99% of stars are B-list and downwards, so to be the top of B-list is not a bad place to be.

The world is certainly changing. But $10m isn't much, and definitely not A-list. Stallone and Arnold were getting $20m paychecks in the 90s.

Hemsworth isn't worth the $10m anyway. He's Thor, that's it. The same thing will happen to him that happened to Christopher Reeve, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and Tobey Maguire...people will only ever pay to see them as the hero they are known for.