Neo

American Hustle (12.20.13) NEW TRAILER PAGE 35

You guess too much. "Nobody knows anything." Stick to that. 

This argument works in September not in the last week of November. People have already seen most of the contenders. Guild screenings for other movies have been going on for weeks and their campaigns have been in full swing as well. If you are going to wait till end of November before screening your movie for the first time then you better hope the movie gets unanimous praise. Even with unanimous praise, a movie like ZDT struggled to win anything last year.

• Like 1

This argument works in September not in the last week of November. People have already seen most of the contenders. Guild screenings for other movies have been going on for weeks and their campaigns have been in full swing as well. If you are going to wait till end of November before screening your movie for the first time then you better hope the movie gets unanimous praise. Even with unanimous praise, a movie like ZDT struggled to win anything last year.

We're not talking about wins, we're talking about nominations right now. From that standpoint, we still don't know much. For example, Bale and Adams could very well steal lead acting spots from those that have been ASSUMED since September. 

People always count out the later entries even though time and time again they make a big splash come nomination morning. Based on one "review" from one pundit, you're guessing the film will have a mixed reception. That's silly, and that's what I meant by "you guess too much." It comes off as arrogant. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 1

We're not talking about wins, we're talking about nominations right now. From that standpoint, we still don't know much. For example, Bale and Adams could very well steal lead acting spots from those that have been ASSUMED since September. 

People always count out the later entries even though time and time again they make a big splash come nomination morning. Based on one "review" from one pundit, you're guessing the film will have a mixed reception. That's silly, and that's what I meant by "you guess too much." It comes off as arrogant. 

No. I am going by the mixed reception it is getting from people who have seen it. Some think it is a masterpiece, others find it confounding and someone else said it was okay. That's the very definition of mixed reception.

• Like 1

You guys, Jennifer is SO getting nominated.

From Gold Derby:

In a movie full of con artists,  Jennifer Lawrence steals "American Hustle" as a dimwit floozy married to low-class shyster. She could easily pull off an Oscars heist next and do what no other star has ever done: win in a supporting race one year after prevailing in lead. That may seem unlikely if viewed as a demotion for today's hottest screen diva (thank you, "Hunger Games"), but Ingrid Bergman and Gene Hackman both took the step down after reigning in lead. However, there were many years in between their multiple wins.

From Deadline:

I also think, even in this fiercely contested year,  Best Picture, Director , Screenplay, Editing and Costume nods could be in the cards  along with any number of possibilities for its superb ensemble including lead actor Christian Bale, lead actress Amy Adams, supporting actors Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner and supportng actress Jennifer Lawrence.  Especially Jennifer Lawrence. She is simply dazzling as Bale’s  wife , a total knockout scene-stealer throughout. If she hadn’t already won last year as Best Actress for Russell’s Silver Linings Playbook, there is no doubt she might be unbeatable here. At 23 years old and the star of this weekend’s all-time November record breaker The Hunger Games: Catching Fire she may well become the front runner anyway to take back- to- back Academy Awards after this performance gets seen. It’s prime Oscar bait.  The actors, including voters, I spoke to afterwards were clearly blown away. In fact the entire cast, which also includes a terrific unbilled one -scene cameo from Robert De Niro (who was nominated last year for Silver Linings) will certainly figure heavily for the SAG Outstanding Cast of a Motion Picture award. One person connected to the film to whom I spoke said early reaction had been on the mixed side but I couldn’t detect that at this screening. It was all upbeat. Time will tell.

According to Dealine and the Wrap

Jennifer and Amy end their big fight scene with a kiss.

:wub:

• Like 4

Steve Pond ‏@stevepond 1m
Jennifer Lawrence kinda steals American Hustle, which swings between great and confounding.

Tim Gray ‏@timgray_variety 4m 

1st public screening of #AmericanHustle . Reviews embargoed a week, but big thumbs up from me.

Effie ‏@EffieSeymour 6h

American Hustle was fun to watch. The clothes and music were amazing.

Lorenpom ‏@Lorenpom 22h
Screening of "American Hustle"-grooviest movie of the year. Seeing Amy Adams' masterful use of double-sided tape is worth the price of tix.

Mark Sylvester ‏@marksylvester 15h
Just saw #AmericanHustle pre-screening at #sbiff Cinema Society Q&A w/dir/writer #DavidORussell. movie of the year? Top 3 for sure.

Ian Reed Kesler ‏@IanReedKesler 6h
Just saw the first pre release screening of American Hustle. Fantastic film. See 

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 1

The scene takes place in a hotel bathroom, and after the two glamorously attired women throw plenty of pointed barbs at each other, Lawrence unexpectedly lurches forward to plant a long, sustained kiss on her adversary's lips. As she teeters away, a shocked Adams stands stock still, another woman's lipstick smeared all over her mouth.

Posted Image

• Like 5

I don't want to spoil too much, but Cooper has a fight scene with Louis C.K. in which he smacks him in the head with a telephone; later, after the two are in a better place, a giddy Cooper simulates humping him. What I'm trying to tell you is that you ought to start anticipating that GIF set right now.

omg. This movie.

• Like 7

I guess Ill be totally fed up with Lawrence and Cooper from this film on :lol: 

hopefully Adams & Bale can get smth

They have another movie coming out in December.  It is called Serena.   I heard Cooper and Lawrence have very little screen-time together in AH.

• Like 1